!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: malmesbury station - my first layout build  (Read 718 times)

Offline mikeTT

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: malmesbury station - my first layout build
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 10:18:52 am »
Great shame you live so far from the Midlands, The late Chris Burch's model of Malmesbury will be operated at The South Notts show at Cotgrave 22/23 Apr by members of the Syston Model Railway Society before retiring to a museum in Malmesbury itself.
Mike

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 05:34:59 pm »
I've used setrack in some areas on my layout - once it is properly ballasted and weathered you don't even notice it.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
I too use mostly set track  and agree with Wookie.
Looks fine to me and Im the one looking at it.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 07:39:20 pm »
As a newbie I have used mainly setrack, just a few sections of flexitrack. If you have already bought it carry on. By the time that you have ballasted and added grass, bushes and other stuff it will be great. Enjoy is the main objective.

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:42 pm »
Hello Mark,

One thing you could try is laying the track at a slight angle, so that the headshunt is nearer the bottom left hand corner of the baseboard.
That will give a number of advantages, the track won't be parallel to the front of the baseboard (which looks better), and you won't have to have a full 90 degree curve into the fiddle yard. It might mean you get an extra couple of centimetres track, which will help on a very small layout!
Cheers,
Paul

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 12:08:14 am »
Mark have we taught you nothing? Electro frog points, insulate the v's and track droppers to every bit of track. If your unsure Peter will show you how at a club night.

Offline MARK1985

• N Gauge Society Number: 26304
  • Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »
Waz

no panic my boy , I will be putting droppers on every bit of the track on this layout as will be operating DCC and have learned from our work on other layouts this is best way to go  , I've acquired the electro frog points I needed so won't be using the set track ones as was suggested as again for short based locos these will be best suited , I did check with George where I would need isolators , haven't the plan to hand but believe its correct . Think were I jumped into DCC with no real knowledge of DC I was lacking in bit in isolation etc but I think that has improved with using the narrow gauge layout .

hoping to start again on this layout after I've made good progress on the boxfile

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here