Paint Brushes

Started by port perran, November 03, 2016, 08:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I have a fair few brushes of different sizes  and for different jobs but......for painting scenic etc I always seem to fall back on two ancient old favourites that whilst tatty do the job and I'm comfortable with them.
I'm not looking forward to the day I have to discard one of them.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Oh dear oh dear.... at first a worrisome post.... but then I realised that the old bristle brush I used to use to settle dry ballast into the track years ago has gone missing.

Panic!  :'(

Still haven't found it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ten0G

:hellosign:

Yesterday I picked up some brush sets at £4.99 each from Aldi. 

Being a bit clueless about what kind of brush is best for what when it comes to weathering, back-scenes, painting/repainting models and dry ballast etc., I thought I'd ask for advice from more recently experienced modellers please.  The last time I painted an Airfix kit was in 1963 with the nearest brush to hand! 

There are also some paints available, I'm not sure whether any would come in handy. 

Please see
https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2018-09-16?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3AArts+%26+Crafts&lowerBound=2&upperBound=55&text=
:thankyousign:

cjdodd

For weathering I use the softest brushes I can find.

ten0G

Quote from: cjdodd on September 21, 2018, 04:07:36 PM
For weathering I use the softest brushes I can find.

Thanks. 

They are described as "Premium Artist's" professional art brushes.  The oil set are hog hair to provide a stiff head, those for acrylic are nylon fibres for smoothness, and the watercolour ones are a blend of nylon fibres and pony hair, again for smoothness. 

Do they sound useful for modelling?  The only size common to all three sets of ten is a Flat 1", all the rest are different and smaller. 

port perran

Hi Ten OG
This is a really difficult question.
To summarise I have about 20 brushes which I use regularly but in there I have perhaps 5 or 6 favourites.
For wholesale covering eg the ground or backscene I use my biggest brush which is about one centimetre across the bristles.  For more blurred work eg where perhaps you have tree shapes on a backscene, then a soft brish is good.
For more detailed work the brushes get smaller using the tiniest werny ones foe figures and little detail items eg benches or signposts.
You may have some tapered brishes which are good for cutting in or painting straightish lines.
For dry brushing then the softer the better so as not to show any brush strokes.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations