The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadsword

If you are buying bumf in Lidl the price display shows the cost per sheet.
Very informative. 

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Nick on April 23, 2017, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on April 22, 2017, 12:15:13 AM
On a similar, but different vein, it is surprising how often a 'large' something works out dearer than buying the equivalent amount in smaller units   :hmmm: - 'they' must think we are stupid. However, I suppose somebody must be, cos 'they' keep doing it!
Nothing new under the sun.

Once upon a long time ago, an nth cousin of mine, y times removed, had a corner shop in Aberfan.

He sold bars of posh soap for sixpence. This was around the time of the disaster, so pre-decimalisation.

He'd accidentally overbought, and couldn't shift them. So, he took them out of the window and bundled them up and put them back: "Special offer - four bars for two and sixpence". All gone in three days.

(For those of you too young to be versed in the base 12 arithmetic required in ye olden, pre-decimal currency, days, four bars were two shillings at the old price. Two and six would have bought you five bars individually. So he'd actually hiked the price by 25%.)

Was his surname Arkwright ?   :D

On the "Today track" it is common here in Italy to find that the big supermarkets have special "offers" that if you by say 3 x a single will be cheaper than the "triple pack" on offer.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Trainfish

Quote from: broadsword on April 23, 2017, 01:32:56 PM
If you are buying bumf in Lidl the price display shows the cost per sheet.
Very informative.

And in Lidl the price is often above the item rather than below. Even more confusing for me so I wait outside while the wife does the shopping  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Greybeema

Quote from: newportnobby on April 23, 2017, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: Steamie+ on April 23, 2017, 06:18:07 AM
Quote from: Greybeema on April 22, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
Many shops (in the small print on the shelf label) will give price per unit

That's correct, but a bit of an effort for most to bend down on the really low shelf's though aren't they, i can't get back up if they are less then waist height lol.    :laugh3: :laugh3:

I know the feeling. Chances are I'd end up rolling around like a tortoise on it's back :-[

New use for selfie stick.  Use the selfie stick to position you camera phone in front of the low level label. Take picture.  Read at more comfortable height..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Steamie+

Quote from: Greybeema on April 24, 2017, 08:00:57 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 23, 2017, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: Steamie+ on April 23, 2017, 06:18:07 AM
Quote from: Greybeema on April 22, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
Many shops (in the small print on the shelf label) will give price per unit

That's correct, but a bit of an effort for most to bend down on the really low shelf's though aren't they, i can't get back up if they are less then waist height lol.    :laugh3: :laugh3:

I know the feeling. Chances are I'd end up rolling around like a tortoise on it's back :-[

New use for selfie stick.  Use the selfie stick to position you camera phone in front of the low level label. Take picture.  Read at more comfortable height..

Never get the shopping done doing that, :laugh3: :laugh3:,  but good idea though.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Nick

So you're planning to wander round a supermarket full of young women, some in short skirts, carrying a camera at ground level on a selfie stick??

Nothing could psossibly go wrong with that idea... Nothing at all...  :D

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Newportnobby

Quote from: Nick on April 24, 2017, 10:22:02 AM
So you're planning to wander round a supermarket full of young women, some in short skirts, carrying a camera at ground level on a selfie stick??

:smiley-laughing: That's just made my morning

Steamie+

Quote from: Nick on April 24, 2017, 10:22:02 AM

:hmmm: You could be right there Nick.      :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

DELETED

This week I have mainly been wearing a pair of underpants on my head, two pencils which keep falling out my nose and shouting "wibble".

Nationwide remortgage are completely incompetent.  Been dealing with them for almost 2 months and today no more.  Mistake made 6 weeks ago can't be undone and now they want to start the whole process over again, they've made a fool out of me dealing with the wrong solicitors the past 6 weeks.  No wonder it's been going nowhere! No way will I re-apply with them on completely new terms (they won't honour my original application now on the 11th March) -hopefully RBS can sort me out.  What a mess Nationwide is.

also...

Tried to sort out my Mothers Electricity bill last week as her 2 year fixed "Help Beat cancer" term is up.  That's a joke -they only give the charity £5 every 12 months!  Had to call Scottish Power as they have no tarriff information on the termination letter, and they've recently pulled all the tarriff info from the website.  After almost an hour's call (presumably so busy at 09:00hrs because everyone has to call them now -no website info) we found out that she pays £60/month currently -but the BEST cheapest deal Scottish Power offers now is £120/month  :o.  So they are not interested in our business at all. Scottish Power want us to go from £750 a year to £1,500.  So I voiced the fact that they were not inteterested in our business and said we would automatically look elsewhere.  The fact they do not issue tarriff tables anymore -how would anyone know when someone on the phone says "this is our cheapest tarriff" -you've no ida !!!  10 mins later on U-Switch we have an offer from British Gas for £150 less than we currently pay (so abot £600 a year).  I have to sort this mess out after my own mess Nationwide have left.

....I do well 9-5 at work (lots of commendations over the years), always have done and not easy projects.  Outside work everything completely falls apart around me every single time.  I bought a coffee machine the other week -of course it had to go back because it was faulty!

daffy

Escafeld, I find your use of poorly disguised swearing totally unacceptable on this family friendly forum. I appreciate your anger at hearing it,  but I for one do not have to have your experience repeated here.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

DELETED

Quote from: daffy on May 02, 2017, 10:50:40 PM
Escafeld, I find your use of poorly disguised swearing totally unacceptable on this family friendly forum. I appreciate your anger at hearing it,  but I for one do not have to have your experience repeated here.

Hi Escafeld,

I have found it amazingly easy to switch offers for my mother and it's a no-brainer.  Sadly last time I checked, and despite being in the news as now the main energey generator and we sell to the south), my own deal was the cheapest on U-switch!, grr.

...Re swaering s***t, all we have to use is asterixes or a "poop"which everyone reads as s**t , this is a terrible forum for swearing and c**p to be allowed but claims to be family friendly.  I could list losts of threads that I consider not forum friently language.  Is this another?

Newportnobby

Full swear words are automatically altered across the forum to the  :censored: smiley.
Is there really a need to use asterisks? Why not try to type an acceptable word that still gets your feeling across? Without wishing to be accused of over moderation (again) I just think substitution of swearing with asterisks is not disguising anything :no:

dannyboy

Quote from: escafeld on May 02, 2017, 11:11:01 PM
use the report to moderator button and let them decide.

I appreciate that some people might need to use a swear word, but if someone is offended by a swear word, or any part of a post, do what escafeld suggests. That is what the button is for surely?

Addit: Just had a thought - I had better apologise to the Mods now. The way things are going on a couple of threads. your workload is going to increase!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

I live in Australia across the other side of the planet, and the whole idea of this forum was got me pulled in. (Bad English, I know)

A place where I could connect with N gauge model railway folk across the world!

Let's keep track of the fact we are a model railway community, and not a mob of social media gossips.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Yet_Another

Quote from: escafeld on May 03, 2017, 03:13:54 PM
...but being one of the few female member means I have to put up with sexist attitudes of a few elderly male members...
This is another example of the casual discrimination that litters these posts.

In what way does your sex uniquely qualify you to have to put up with sexist attitudes? I have no doubt that there are many members of either sex, creed, nationality or whatever who also have to put up with with this and other preposterous polarising prejudices.

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations