Total Beginner, any "bibles" out there?

Started by thetigers123, December 31, 2016, 01:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetigers123

As im a total noob i was wondering if they are any books that i could purchase that tells me everything i need to know about starting out?
Im needing help in purchasing a baseboard, deciding on track, layout, electrics, scenery, what locos buildings etc to buy, even down to what tools i need to purchase. Ive even seen people use carriages and trains to test the layout before fixing it down so do i need to buy those first?
Thanks for reading.

port perran

This is a difficult question to which you will get numerous replies.
I'd suggest your local model shop as a good starting point (as well as this forum). Generally shop proprietors are happy to pass on knowledge (after all , you may well become a customer).
I think you need to decide on the size (and shape) of your layout first then give consideration as to baseboard. Does the layout need to be portable or will it be static ? That will have a big bearing on the building of the baseboard. If it is to be portable then you may consider building the baseboard in individual sections (to make it easier to move about) but of course, you then have the problem of joining the track each time you assemble the layout.
The reason people try out carriages etc before finally fixing the track is to ensure that they run OK with adequate clearance (ie they don't foul the edges or any platforms) and that they don't derail on awkward points or on sharp bends.
There is so much to consider. Search each section on here for ideas first eg search baseboards or track etc.
Just a few ramblings fro me to get this topic running but as I've said you will get plenty of tips and suggestions from others.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

thetigers123

Thanks for the reply.
I'm allowed the spare room as i mentioned in another post but she wants the spare bed still in there  :censored: :veryangry:
So I'm thinking 6x3 ft to slide under the bed (bit shorter due to bed legs) and have it set up on top of 3 trestles over the spare bed. As i dont have any rolling stock and its expensive to go out and buy 5 locos etc i was thinking of a  loop instead of a fiddle yard and a end to end layout (but then again i like the idea of a fiddle yard i just cant see the point when i will have 1-2 trains running).

port perran

My first layout (Port Perran-1) now dismantles was 6x3 and slid under the bed.
It does give you plenty of scope.
PP-1 was a roundy roundy with inner loop but also had two outer tracks (off the larger loop) which led to a small detachable fiddle yard which was 5.5 ft long and about 9 inches wide. This allowed me to have 4 running lines on the fiddle yard so allowing four separate trains to bee set up and ready to run.
The fiddle yard was hidden from the main layout by the scenic backboard and was accessed by supposed tunnels. Easy to do and will give you more operational interest.

thetigers123

I will take a look at that, thanks for the help and suggestions.

NeMo

Quote from: thetigers123 on December 31, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As im a total noob i was wondering if they are any books that i could purchase that tells me everything i need to know about starting out?

If it's not already been mentioned yet, the N Gauge Society handbook (which you get when you join) contains pretty much EVERYTHING you need to know when starting out. It's extremely thorough. Joining the NGS is a no-brainer, frankly, but for beginners, the handbook is an essential read. It's over 200 pages long, and solid N-gauge stuff, rather than 00 with bits of N added.

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=handbook

Subscription is £21 for the first year, when you get the handbook, and £16 thereafter. So basically the handbook is costing you a fiver, which compares extremely favourably with the average railway modelling magazine, let alone book. On top of that you have access to the shop, which will save you a fair bit money if you want to buy kits and stuff. A lot of the NGS exclusive sell on eBay for silly money, well over the cost of the item from the shop even if you plonk the £16 annual subscription on top!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

thetigers123

No never saw that but i will subscribe now, it cost me £20 the other day buying some peco books and layout designs which wasnt very good imo.

port perran

Also, with the N Gauge Society you get a bi-monthly magazine which is a good interesting read and also contains hints, tips and ideas.

Jack

Just about all you need to make a layout:- http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/ I ended up buying the paperback version. It can seem a bit heavy with schematics when it comes to some of the electrical stuff, but then again the author is a retired S&T man from the railways.

Peco also do cheap handbooks which you can normal get from your local model shop. They are basic and to the point. Each booklet generally covers one subject. Some of these I also used in my very early days, although a lot cheaper than the Amazon examples.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=peco+book&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=81686045919&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2977631879887454306&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045288&hvtargid=kwd-29652670031&ref=pd_sl_98uzae599m_b

The Ngauge Soc, which as already been mentioned, is another recommendation.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Railwaygun

Your local model rail club  could be very helpful.  - let us know roughly where you live and suggestions will follow! Or look here

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk

Local mr shows are  good for ideas / bits' pieces.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Big bad John

Also have a look at the thread started by newportnobby "A beginers guide to model railways"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.0

Some usefull advice in that already.

daffy

As @NeMo said, joining the NGS for the Handbook is a fine idea.  I joined very recently as a newcomer to rail modelling and I have to say it is an excellent read.

Besides the quarterly journal you can also purchase - at low cost - a DVD of years and years of back-copies of the journal.

And of course you can search this great Forum, which in the few months I have been here has supplied me with an amazing array of facts, how to's, things to avoid, tips and ideas.

And it gives you almost immediate answers to most questions you might have, other than the Meaning of Life, but I suspect that won't be long in coming. ;)

Whatever you build, good luck, and a Happy New Year! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Another good book I would recommend is
'Making a start in N gauge model railways' by Richard Bardsley. Very informative and comprehensive but also very readable.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: thetigers123 on December 31, 2016, 01:12:57 PM

Im needing help in purchasing a baseboard, deciding on track, layout, electrics, scenery, what locos buildings etc to buy, even down to what tools i need to purchase. Ive even seen people use carriages and trains to test the layout before fixing it down so do i need to buy those first?
Thanks for reading.

Baseboard
If you have some basic tools such as a saw and a drill it is easy to create a baseboard frame. Traditionally this would have been 2 x 1 timber but plywood does a good job and is lighter to move, especially if the layout is being moved from under a bed. What you surface the frame with is your choice. If you have no tools at all then by all means purchase a baseboard - otherwise it's spending money you could buy something else with e.g. food ;)

Track
Are you any good with electrickery? If no, I'd suggest Kato Unitrack as motors are built into their points and the track becomes 'plug 'n' play' i.e. you'll be up and running in a few minutes. If yes, Peco is probably more realistic and I'd recommend code 55 streamline.
Do you want analogue or digital control? Wiring for each is slightly different.

Scenery
Make your own from the likes of polystyrene tiles or papier mashé but decide on your track plan first so you know where to have hills, cuttings etc.

Locos and buildings
Depends a lot on how correct you want to be, what location you want to model and what era. Many people run 'Rule 1' which basically means they run whatever they want regardless of the prototype, others stick to locos seen at the location.

Keep asking the questions but expect a wide variety of answers.

Kaian

As others have said, the NGS Handbook is very handy :p , I joined a few months ago and have had a bit of a look through, I will picked it up again later as I have many considerations to think about with track work coming up. (first time on a non-test layout with inclines and cants).

The Peco Railway Modelling and Layout Construction is ok but it was too biased towards their own products.

I picked up my baseboards I ordered from Model Railway Solutions on Friday and I have finished assembling the first one a few minutes ago and it is fantastically easy i would highly recommend if you are not confident in work wood for your baseboards.

About electronics, if you mean which DCC system or are you only DC?
If it is which DCC system, I would visit a shop with several systems setup unless you are happy to buy try and return or sell. I went through several systems before finding my preference on the Z21 but that is a bit pricey for a small layout with 2 trains and a "simplier" knob control might be better.

For general electronics the previously mentioned brian lambert site is fanatastic, I also found the DCC concepts a good source (https://www.dccconcepts.com/manuals-advice/)
Craig

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations