What use for extra sleepers?

Started by mickster04, March 09, 2017, 12:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickster04

I managed to break half a length of flexitrack, and I had hoped to recycle the sleepers and rail.
the rail can easily be put in and around track as is prototypical from when they've replaced sections. However, I realised I can't think of how or what sleepers would be used for or how they'd be left. I am modelling late 70's through the 80s and into the 90s a little. If that helps?

extra rail looks like

Also, would I want to remove the chairs as much as possible? if people have pictures, my google-fu isn't too good.

longbow

You could use the sleeper base for lifted sidings but you'd need to remove the connecting web. Alternatively you could cut up the base to build sleeper-built stacks, coal staithes or huts but given the amount of cutting- and cleaning-up required it's probably not a good use of time.

mickster04

lifted sidings sounds good. cutting the webbing is straight forward with a craft knife. I wondered if there were examples of piles of old sleepers just left discarded. or if there were images of perhaps BDA type wagons with old sleepers on?

TylerB

You could always lay out the route of a disused siding or branchline - I've seen places where rails have been lifted but the sleepers remain in place

ozzie Bill.

cannot answer for UK, but there frequently piles of sleepers by the lines here in Aus, both new sleepers and also used that have been discarded. However, they are only in "secure" areas otherwise there is a societal element that finds their amusement in laying things over lines!

NinOz

Quote from: ozzie Bill. on March 09, 2017, 05:52:02 AM
cannot answer for UK, but there frequently piles of sleepers by the lines here in Aus, both new sleepers and also used that have been discarded. However, they are only in "secure" areas otherwise there is a societal element that finds their amusement in laying things over lines!
Not to forget how useful they are about the garden.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Buzzard

If you've got any of the older 4 wheel departmental wagons e.g.

Grampus
Tunny

then put some of your sleepers, including chairs, in them to represent a line that's being lifted.  Those wagons would be good for the 70s and 80s

For a more modern timeframe then you could use

Grampus
Clam
Rudd
Seahorse
Sea Urchin
Bass ex OBA or OCA

For my last suggestion here's a link to the Paul Bartlett website

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbass/h2a4c861b#h2a4c861b

that shows a wagon that could be easily replicated from a Farish OBA.

HTH

Bob Tidbury

I have put two coaches onto stacked sleepers they are supposed to be iether for holiday let or overnight volunteer workers at the preserved railway .
The bogies were worn out and the wheels kept falling out ,it was a shame to waste the coach bodies.,in between the two coaches I made a little patio wih benches so people could watch the trains go by.
You can see them in my videos.
Bob Tidbury

port perran

I think they look good when used to represent a  lifted/disused line or siding but when stacked or left scattered I think they look a bit like piles of discarded plastic bits and pieces.  I've tried it and then rejected it but maybe others can make a pile look realistic.
However, I like the idea of them being used as props under coach bodies etc.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

PeteW

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations