N scale Pullmans

Started by gerry9253, March 02, 2017, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

I think Hornby lost a lot a money on the Arnold Brighton Belle Pullman. Production was staggered, and the first batch sold so poorly they pulled it. At the time I thought it was a rather large toe to dip in the water. Anyway, they seem to have decided these waters are too cold! It's now two and a half years since that release and not even rumours of further releases. IMHO, I'll never see another UK outline release in British N Scale from Hornby. No, not in my lifetime. :'(

silly moo

As far as I know no real Mk 1 Pullman brakes were ever made, they always used ordinary Mk 1 brakes, the Western region ones were favoured because the colour matched. That's why Farish haven't made one. There are a couple of posts somewhere on the forum that mention it.

The first thing I asked when I got some mk1 Pullmans was "where's the brake coach"

johnlambert

Talking of 'missing' Pullman coaches.  The Mk1 Pullman is available as a parlour or kitchen car.  As far as I can remember the older-style Farish Pullmans only came as a parlour car or parlour brake (I can't think of a better term).   I presume there was no kitchen car in that style of coach.

What do people use as a substitute kitchen car?

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: silly moo on March 03, 2017, 01:45:41 PM
As far as I know no real Mk 1 Pullman brakes were ever made, they always used ordinary Mk 1 brakes, the Western region ones were favoured because the colour matched. That's why Farish haven't made one. There are a couple of posts somewhere on the forum that mention it.

The first thing I asked when I got some mk1 Pullmans was "where's the brake coach"

Quite right, they ran with the straight sided older Pullman brakes but not g alas the old farish style brakes. I remember seeing a Pullman arriving at Kings X in the 60's with a maroon Mk1 brake but then I may have had too much butterscotch that day.  It has been mentioned elsewhere that the Chocolate and cream WR full brakes left the region at their peril!

On the subject I still haven't taken my Hornby Belle (umber and cream) out of its box yet!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

red_death

Quote from: RailGooner on March 03, 2017, 10:41:09 AM
I think Hornby lost a lot a money on the Arnold Brighton Belle Pullman. Production was staggered, and the first batch sold so poorly they pulled it. At the time I thought it was a rather large toe to dip in the water. Anyway, they seem to have decided these waters are too cold! It's now two and a half years since that release and not even rumours of further releases. IMHO, I'll never see another UK outline release in British N Scale from Hornby. No, not in my lifetime. :'(

I'm not so sure that is correct (nor am I so pessimistic).  My understanding is that the first batch sold extremely well and quickly, but that Hornby rushed out a second batch and discovered the lack of depth to the N gauge market.

Cheers, Mike

RailGooner

Quote from: red_death on March 03, 2017, 03:00:07 PM

I'm not so sure that is correct (nor am I so pessimistic).  My understanding is that the first batch sold extremely well and quickly, but that Hornby rushed out a second batch and discovered the lack of depth to the N gauge market.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike. I was unsure of the accuracy of my first two sentences, and too lazy to check. :thumbsdown: I'm grateful for your more accurate post. :thumbsup:

Jimbo

I have a few of the old Farish ones, I'm hoping to use them as camping coaches on my layout as there were Six of them in the South siding at Marazion from about 1934 onwards being used as such, according to research so far one of them was a 12 wheeler Pullman, I've managed to find the names of 4 of them inc the 12 wheeler, I think I'll be detailing them as necessary as I doubt if I would be able to afford 'upgraded' ones although I suspect they would be entirely lovely!  :(
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

PLD

Quote from: red_death on March 03, 2017, 03:00:07 PM

Cheers, Mike
My understanding is they produced a large (relative to other manufacturers) initial batch with the same quantity in each of Blue/Grey and Umber/Cream liveries. These all sold out very quickly.

They then followed up with a second batch of a similar quantity and again with equal split between the two liveries - this was the mistake... Of this second batch, the Umber/Cream ones sold out not quite as quickly as the first batch but in a reasonable time. The Blue/Grey ones hung around in the retailers for much longer and indeed there may even still be the odd one available.
With Hindsight, they were quite correct to do the model, and the quick second batch of Umber/Cream (they might even have shifted a smaller third run), but should have held off rerunning the less popular Blue/grey model for a while.

Newportnobby

Kernow's newsletter today showed the blue/grey version at £159.99

Bealman

Interesting,  if a little sad from my point of view.... I hanker ed after the brown one as soon as it came out, but put it in the 'I'll get it later ' basket.....  :'(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on March 03, 2017, 09:58:22 PM
Interesting,  if a little sad from my point of view.... I hanker ed after the brown one as soon as it came out, but put it in the 'I'll get it later ' basket.....  :'(

Me too, George, but what put me off were the reports about once coupled up having to leave it coupled up on the layout. I just hope the Pendolino won't be the same headache.

Quote from: PLD on March 03, 2017, 07:53:20 PM
The Blue/Grey ones hung around in the retailers for much longer and indeed there may even still be the odd one available.

@escafeld
Sorry, I was just showing it was available not recommending the price as being good.

RailGooner

Quote from: newportnobby on March 03, 2017, 10:09:16 PM
.. what put me off were the reports about once coupled up having to leave it coupled up on the layout. ...

I'm pleased to be able to say such reports were/are false NN. Mine are all back in their boxes. Unboxed upon receipt, drooled all over, dried, coupled, run-in, uncoupled, drooled all over some more, dried again, and re-boxed.

The couplings also connect each car electrically, and the connection is quite solid/secure. They need a bit more care and commitment - a fair bit of force is required when coupling/uncoupling. Yes, they are a little bit more of a faff than rapido couplers. No, they are nothing like as difficult as my 20 car Eurostar. My big clumsy hands manage without damaging them, so they can't be that bad.

JayM481

Jerry Howlett

I have the proper liveried Brighton Belle in its boxes and they have never been opened... Willing to exchange for a BLUE one.... Sorry the BLUE PULLMAN!!!

:D :D
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Not a chance, Jerry :no:
The exchange rate is at least 2 x BBs for 1 x BP :P

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations