N scale Pullmans

Started by gerry9253, March 02, 2017, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry9253

Is there is any interest in N scale Pullmans similar to the 00 Hornby range? If so perhaps a poll would indicate any enthusiasm to interest a possible manufacturer.

Gerry

Sprintex

I have a rake of the old Poole-built Graham Farish Pullman coaches, and I know Bachmann did an updated range as there's been a few threads about them before.

No idea what the Hornby range has though, haven't so much as looked at 00 stuff in 35 years!  ???

Paul

njee20

silly moo

I would like some updated older style Pullman coaches but doubt I could afford them, I imagine they would end up costing about 50 pounds each  :(  if they were built to current standards.

njee20

Quote from: Herzel on March 02, 2017, 07:24:32 PM
If a Brighton Belle set came available I'd go for it.

It has, by Arnold - one of Hornby's international subsidiaries. They were selling them off cheap for a while. They did both blue/grey and cream/umber (if that's what the Pullman livery was called!).

R Marshall

I'd like a pair of steel, flat sided Brake/Parlour 2nds (the 1928 built vehicles) to make a proper rake with the Farish Metro-Cammell 1960s Pullman stock. It seems odd that Farish has not produced any brake vehicles for the 1960s steam hauled Tees Tyne Pullman and Yorkshire Pullman, when they have a range of the other vehicles available.

There are lots of pictures of the Tees Tyne Pullman showing a consist of 8 (6 Metro-Cammells and 2 Brake/Parlour 2nds), hauled variously by A4s, A1s and A3s.

Sometimes the mix has more of the flat sided stock or, earlier than the 1960s, is wholly flat sided.

Any plan to produce these vehicles would get my vote!

Karhedron

I would definitely be up for a rake of Pullman stock!  :idea:

1928 stock would be my preference but I would probably take whatever was going.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

RailGooner

Quote from: silly moo on March 02, 2017, 07:27:25 PM
I would like some updated older style Pullman coaches but doubt I could afford them, I imagine they would end up costing about 50 pounds each  :(  if they were built to current standards.
Quote from: Karhedron on March 02, 2017, 08:37:57 PM
I would definitely be up for a rake of Pullman stock!  :idea:

1928 stock would be my preference but I would probably take whatever was going.

Yes, I need some Diagram 'K' Pullmans for a project.

Quote from: njee20 on March 02, 2017, 07:28:11 PM
Quote from: Herzel on March 02, 2017, 07:24:32 PM
If a Brighton Belle set came available I'd go for it.

It has, by Arnold - one of Hornby's international subsidiaries. They were selling them off cheap for a while. They did both blue/grey and cream/umber (if that's what the Pullman livery was called!).

I've seen blue/grey on sale still at very reasonable prices. Got me a 5 car umber/cream as soon as they came out - it is simply exquisite. 8)

njee20

Interestingly there was a thread on RMWeb this morning lamenting Hornby for turning out another version of the Pullman, and exploiting what is clearly a cash cow. Seems mildly Surprising no ones picked up the mantle in N, although I wonder if it's the same as many Hornby products that there's a reluctance for either Bachmann or Dapol to have a go in the smaller scale.

johnlambert

The 1923 K-class Pullman cars were in the top 50 items in the RM web wishlist poll, so it seems there is interest in new Pullman coaches.  Whether or not that translates into new models is a different matter, but the manufacturers do see the results of the poll.

The wishlist poll results can be viewed via the link below:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116458-results-the-wishlist-poll-2016/

RailGooner

They will probably have to maintain that poll position (or better) for a few consecutive years before the established manufacturers take note.

Newportnobby

I've not long since sold all my Pullman coaches so not for me, thanks :no:

nick_bastable

crepello

I'd definitely be up for straight-sided Pullman brakes to run with the ECML mark 1 Pullmans; I have to use BGs at present. I'm surprised Hornby didn't realise there was a market for these when they produced the Brighton Belle cars. Maybe Bachmann will consider one day as a 'train pack' or set such as the South Wales Pullman with the Castle, the Bournemouth Belle with the MN or the Queen of Scots with the A1?

Karhedron

Bachmann have recently showed that they are willing to consider N gauge models that Hornby offer in 00 (Hawksworths, Merchant Navy) so perhaps there is hope from that quarter.

Dapol seem to be busy with their 00 and 0 gauge ranges at the moment and there has been little movement from them in N gauge for a while.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations