How many locos do you own?

Started by petejones, August 02, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les1952

Currently available to run on Hawthorn Dene (DCC fitted)

70 steam main line
6 steam for the colliery
6 diesel main line
2 diesels for the colliery
5 DMU  (101 2-car, 101 4-car, 101 4-car buffet, 108 2-c1r, 108 3-car)

unavailable/inappropriate DCC fitted 10 (includes 2 UM with dead motors- worn out after too many miles)

analogue for Rise Park

24 steam
4 diesel

unavailable/inappropriate analogue 14 (inc one voyager)

All of which I think comes to a current (fluctuating) total of 135 plus 6 multiple units.  Locos do move between DCC and analogue fleets according to need.

Inappropriates are wrong region/period/country and therefore not used.  Slightly thinned recently as I've sold on the last (almost) of the continentals.  Nothing on order for N at the moment as the Class 17 is in abeyance.

There is also OO stock for NO PLACE and HO stock being acquired for Furtwangen II.

Les

DarrwestLU6

I did an inventory recently to stop myself from buying any more on e-bay!

I like to get models from late LMS, LNER and early BR up to 1960s - which gives me steam in its heydays and early diesels. I made a note of the prices I paid for recent purchases in last 2 years as this might be useful to other members in a similar acquisitive phase!

Current tally is 14 loco, 12 used:
MINITRIX (see http://minitrix.org.uk/ for maintenance tips)
* 2x BR class 27 Diesel (bought one to replace one broken) MINITRIX N204- mixed traffic
* Ivatt Tank 2-6-2T Black BR early crest -mixed (BR class 2, ex LMS) Minitrix N205- my original - my weathering applied
* A4 Mallard Green (ex LNER) 4-6-2 £66 MINITRIX - N211 - express
* 2 x 9F 2-10-0 BR Black - Minitrix N203- heavy goods £45 and £50 - although big locos I find the old MINITRIX can handle tight curves, steep gradients, and pull really well!
* Brittania class  70000 (BR class 7 ex LMS designs (Mixed Traffic)) 4-6-2 Green MINITRIX £43.21 6 wheel tender

Graham Farish:
* BR class 4 ex LMS Fowler 4F 0-6-0 tender £41 Grafar - freight - need to fix this one valve gear just jammed!
* Jinty 3F 0-6-0 LMS Black
* BR Shunter 0-6-0 Diesel Green
* A3 Prince Pallatine 4-6-2 (ex LNER) £51.98  - express -8 wheel tender

Lima
* Deltic Diesel in Green £41 - goods or passenger trains

And 2 New Graham Farish:
* Jubilee class in Maroon - LMS  4-6-0
* Ivatt 2-6-0 tender in LMS black (Class 2 mixed traffic)
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Joker56

I'm at 30 , 29 diesel & 1 steam loco City of London which I just had to have now access to stock a bit limited in Malaysia

NinOz

Quote from: DarrwestLU6 on August 04, 2018, 12:59:38 AM
I did an inventory recently to stop myself from buying any more on e-bay!
Was that a good idea?  An inventory could show short falls. ;)
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Chris Morris

I have a fairly middling 34. They were all bought with a purpose in mind on one of my layouts. If something doesn't fit my time period and location then it doesn't get bought no matter how nice it might be. Like Les above mine are linked to layouts. I have locos for 1959, 1963 and 1968 that would all have been seen at the real Aller Junction for my Little Aller Junction layout and small Western Region locos and railcars from the late fifties/ early sixties for my Ridgacre Branch layout. This policy saves me spending money on items that wont get much usage. Non are shelf queens; they all have to work for a living (unlike me :) ).

I love the fact that N gauge can be stored so easily. I probably appreciate the ease of storage more than most as I also have 31 G scale locos. Together with coaches and wagons that's about a small bedroom full of stock.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Western Exile

About 35 diesels (classes 08,20,25,31,33,37,40,45,46,47,55,56,58,60)
2 complete HSTs
1 DMU (108)
1 Sprinter (156)
1 Steam loco (Castle)
At least 2 of the diesels are earmarked for future sale, but I have preorders on about a dozen more diesels and a couple of steam locos.
(not Dr.) Al

Les1952

It is funny how when you count them you never get the same number twice- 

Double-checking after I posted totals I kept getting 71 steam on HD's main line - and it took some time to work out that I'd double-counted the Jinty in the colliery fleet.

For the record the steam are-

1      BachFar Fairburn 2-6-4 tank
2      Bachfar Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0, one with sound
13    Dapol A4   (7 corridor plus 6 non-corridor tenders) plus "Silver Link" in the showcase
15    Dapol A3   (12 with trough deflectors, 3 with double-chimney and no blinks)   Plus 4472, 2750 and 2544 LNER in showcase    and a single-chimney analogue one on Rise Park
6     BachFar  A1
4     BachFar A2 4-6-2 - two double-chimney, 1 single-chimney and one single-chimney converted to double-chimney to represent the unique 60539 BRONZINO
1     Farish    V2  2-6-2
5     Dapol B1 4-6-0
1     Foxhunter K3 on Bachfar Crab chassis
1     Union Mills D20 4-4-0
1     Langley Tyne Dock O1 converted from B1 kit on 8F chassis with UM Great Central tender
4     BachFar J39 0-6-0
2     Union Mills J25 0-6-0
1     Union Mills J26 0-6-0  (plus one more awaiting a new motor)
1     Union Mills J27 0-6-0   (plus one awaiting a new motor)
1     Dapol M7 0-4-4T converted to North Eastern G5

4    Dapol Britannia 4-6-2

1    Bachfar 5MT 4-6-0

1    Bachfar Standard 3MT2-6-2T
3    Farish WD 2-8-0

4    Dapol 9F 2-10-0

There is another B1 in the analogue fleet together with another 9F.  I missed a few analogue locos from the total as I am also custodian of the late Trevor Webster's Rise Park fleet, and there were a couple of my locos in amongst these.....

I don't know why the NGF software is randomly throwing additional lines in the middle of a list.  Deleting backwards doesn't remove them....
Les

PS- has anyone else added that lot up to make 72?
PPS  Hawthorn Dene's successor Croft Spa is on the East Coast Main Line proper with a prototypical diet of 50% fast passenger, ECS, parcels or fully fitted freight, most of which would have been a Pacific or V2, and the BachFar V2 just isn't strong enough to belt along with 12 on....

ODRAILS

My 33 locos are all steam types running on dcc: 25 Farish/Bachmann, 8 Dapol and 1 Union Mills.

Farish : 1 out of the 25 needs attention (that one is an old Bachfar Battle of Britain which is hesitant in reverse but runs OK otherwise)

Dapol : 4 out of the 8 need attention of some kind - (these are the more recent tender locos - cardan shaft types). Getting spares such as tender drawbar and bogie screws is the problem.

Union Mills: my 1 loco runs OK.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: ODRAILS on August 04, 2018, 06:08:23 PM
Dapol : ... Getting spares such as tender drawbar and bogie screws is the problem.

Begs the question - how are you losing them in the first place?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

ODRAILS

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 04, 2018, 06:11:32 PM
Quote from: ODRAILS on August 04, 2018, 06:08:23 PM
Dapol : ... Getting spares such as tender drawbar and bogie screws is the problem.

Begs the question - how are you losing them in the first place?

A rather stupid impertinent question  in my opinion (think about it - how do you lose them?) but I'll answer.

I would have preferred someone advise what the Dapol screw sizes are so I can get non-OEM replacements. Dapol can't answer/don't know about screw sizes in their products when I enquired and DCC supplies don't list them.
When you are 70+ with not the best eyesight these tiny screws are difficult to trace. Bogie pivot screws have fallen out somewhere in the layout (Schools class) and drawbar screws pop out when trying to refit the cardan shafts.
If anyone can provide a more useful reply I would be grateful.
Ian

ntpntpntp

That comes across as a rather tetchy response to a simple question. These things don't usually disappear on their own (though it's not totally unknown).
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

paulprice

I just recounted I have more than 2  :claphappy:

Caz

Quote from: paulprice on August 04, 2018, 08:24:02 PM

Paul, is that the number of zeros after the number   :P
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

paulprice

Quote from: Caz on August 04, 2018, 08:26:06 PM
Quote from: paulprice on August 04, 2018, 08:24:02 PM

Paul, is that the number of zeros after the number   :P

When the Domestic Overlord finds out he will kill me

petejones

The reason for the question in the first place was to make sure I'm not getting carried away, having only recently started collecting N gauge again. I currently have just five Diesels, one DMU (2-car) and one Steam engine.  :angel:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations