General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

Started by Newportnobby, April 14, 2018, 08:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Are any of our advertisers or, heaven forbid, the forum itself affected by anything in the above regs?
The reason I ask is one of my relatives who runs a Veterinary Practice is having to comply as he retains and uses personal data to run his business. That's the extent of my knowledge so apologies if the question is a waste of time @Tank @Only Me
Presumably some change has come about due to recent shenanigans with Facebook and Cambridge Analytica?

stevewalker

It is nothing to do with recent happenings. It is EU legislation that has been in the pipeline since 2012.

I am in the stupid situation that I have to make sure I contact every one of the agencies that I have my CV with to make sure that I don't miss out on possible contracts - apparently me having actively sent them my full CV is not enough and when the new legislation comes into effect, they will have to delete me from their systems unless I have contacted them to say they can keep me on. I am bound to miss one or two agencies and that means I could miss out on future contracts :(

It will apply to the forum, but should have little effect. There is a right to see what information is held and to have it corrected (but that was there before); a right to have personal data deleted (a photo used as an avatar for example), but you probably already do that; there are some new effects if the data is stored outside the EU (about similar levels of security and not disclosing to intelligence services unless there is an agreement with the EU and that country), which I would assume does not apply as that data is probably in the UK; more requirements to let people know what data will be held, what for and particularly for how long - presumably no more than a possible change to terms of use of the forum and a message about any such change on the home page.

This is all from a quick glance though, so it would be good to look into it properly.

What changes there may be after Brexit, I don't know.

njee20

Personal data is far more than an avatar, it extends to things like IP addresses, but as Paul said, all in hand :)

dannyboy

I subscribe to a few newsletters and over the last few weeks I have been getting emails saying things on the lines of "if you want us to continue sending you newsletters, please click 'here'. If you do not contact us by such and such a date, we will cancel your subscription".  Which is handy, as there are a couple that I keep clicking on the 'unsubscribe' link, but they still keep on coming!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: dannyboy on April 14, 2018, 10:45:49 PM
... I have been getting emails saying things on the lines of "if you want us to continue sending you newsletters, please click 'here'.
Yep, a big part of it is the need to "opt in" and give consent for recording of data and for companies to contact you. This "re-qualification" exercise for existing customers is a big undertaking.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

MJKERR

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 14, 2018, 08:51:57 PM
one of my relatives who runs a Veterinary Practice is having to comply as he retains and uses personal data to run his business
This business should already being complying with the current regulations
Equally, it may even be exempt, my business is even though we retain customer details!

That is the difference between personal data for business purposes (where the business asks you) and personal consent (where you decide to provide it to a business - they did not ask you)

Kaian

Quote from: MJKERR on April 15, 2018, 10:11:50 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on April 14, 2018, 08:51:57 PM
one of my relatives who runs a Veterinary Practice is having to comply as he retains and uses personal data to run his business
This business should already being complying with the current regulations
Equally, it may even be exempt, my business is even though we retain customer details!

That is the difference between personal data for business purposes (where the business asks you) and personal consent (where you decide to provide it to a business - they did not ask you)

Veterinary is excempt for getting consent due to contract and legitimate interest. Interestingly due to the Veterinary Medical Regulations you cannot have all of your full details removed upon request for up to 7 years from the last treatment.
While consent is not directly applicable, many other aspects of GDPR is. Getting consent is just the icing on the cake.
Craig

Snowwolflair

Quote from: dannyboy on April 14, 2018, 10:45:49 PM
I subscribe to a few newsletters and over the last few weeks I have been getting emails saying things on the lines of "if you want us to continue sending you newsletters, please click 'here'. If you do not contact us by such and such a date, we will cancel your subscription".  Which is handy, as there are a couple that I keep clicking on the 'unsubscribe' link, but they still keep on coming!

Oh yes and i'm ready to draw up a list, to send to someone, of failed Unsubscribes and those also ignoring GDPR.

On the other hand without junk mail my email could die and I would never know, so maybe junk mail has a use after all.  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations