Canon printer slightly unwell

Started by Papyrus, April 07, 2018, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I have a Canon MG7751 inkjet printer (2-3 years old) which I am generally quite pleased with, but yesterday it developed a fault - the cyan stopped printing. The ink tank wasn't empty, but I changed it anyway, and ran the nozzle cleaning programme a couple of times but it's still the same. I phoned PC World, but got the brush-off, and I don't know of any other repairers in the locality. My wife is muttering darkly about throwing it away and getting a new one, but I don't like throwing away something that might be repairable.

Do any of you good people know a) of anything else I might try myself to fix it and b) failing that, is an economical repair likely to be feasible?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris

OwL

Here is the link to Cannon website with your printer model on there (I checked)
You can then download the manual for this model and trouble shooting guide.
I hope this helps you:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma-mg7751.aspx?type=drivers&language=&os=

Good Luck and I hope you manage to fix it :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Papyrus

Thanks for that, but I should have said I already had the manual and tried that too!

Cheers,

Chris

themadhippy

By the time you've paid someone to diagnose the fault you'll be most of the way to buying a new printer and thats before the actual repair bill appears.
You could try contacting the retailer were you purchased it and point out under uk law that you have a 6 year warranty and its them,not the manufacturer who has to honor that agreement,but you also need to prove the fault was caused by a manufacturing fault,not normal wear and tear
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Bob G

Where did you get six years warranty from?

themadhippy

QuoteWhere did you get six years warranty from?
consumer rights act 2015

MJKERR

Quote from: themadhippy on April 07, 2018, 04:46:59 PM
uk law that you have a 6 year warranty
Please do not confuse warranty with guarantee

The majority of goods come with a one year guarantee
In England and Wales this extends to six years, in Scotland it is five years
In the first year the retailer is responsible
After that the owner must prove the goods have a manufacturing fault

Quite correctly, it does not cover wear and tear
Sadly printer heads are classed as wear and tear

Equally, it is throw away society, and more often cheaper to replace than repair

I repaired a previous Canon mobile printer twice, now have a HP mobile printer
Even those only last about 18 months

My main printer, HP Officejet, about 4 years old started becoming faulty at the end of last year
Last month it stopped printing colours correctly, so replaced it
Ironically, the five virtually unused printer cartridges went in the bin
This new HP Officejet printer has Instant Ink, and that ink alone has paid for the printer as it was free and arrived two weeks later, and I have now cancelled the Instant Ink account

dannyboy

I was in Asda in Enniskillen this morning and I saw that they had two versions of Canon printer/scanner/copier available and both had the separate ink cartridges. The 'cheap' one was £39 and the 'expensive' one £49, (or thereabouts). MJK is right about the consumer having to prove an inherent manufacturing fault after the initial guarantee runs out.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Ditape

Many years back I had a canon printer and the heads got blocked I got some head cleaning fluid on ebay that extended the life by a couple of years.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZAP-Inkjet-print-head-printhead-unblock-cleaner-for-Epson-Canon-HP-Lexmark/181910153945?hash=item2a5ab0aad9:g:AZ8AAOSwT5tWKPlA
Diane Tape

BoxTunnel

Quote from: MJKERR on April 07, 2018, 06:13:29 PM
...Equally, it is throw away society, and more often cheaper to replace than repair

This.

A year or two ago I listened to a radio interview with the CEO of a major washing machine company (Indesit?  I forget.)  He said that he could easily manufacture a washing machine that would last a lifetime, but people would not pay for it. 

I recently bought an HP inkjet printer/scanner for £24.99 delivered to my local Tesco about 5 minutes walk away from my flat.  The ink refills are almost twenty quid when I need to replace them which is fine, but if the printer starts playing up it goes to the tip and I'll get another one from whomever is selling cheap!

Graham, needs a printer because he can't read his own handwriting.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

themadhippy

cut your loses and buy a laser
After eons of printers,from sinclair thermals,through golf balls,via  dot matrix and 4 colour ribbons  to ink jets, none have lasted or been as reliable as my brother laser.Dont print for a few weeks/months?no problem,blocked inkjets dont happen,nor do smuged print output or soggy paper

Bealman

Yes, I must plead guilty to throwing them away and just buying a new one if they start playing up.

In my defense, I do pull them apart before I trash them, and salvage things like stepper motors, small screws, etc for my electronics junkbox. You never know when you can have a need for 'em!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

Quote from: themadhippy on April 08, 2018, 01:00:55 AM
cut your loses and buy a laser
After eons of printers,from sinclair thermals,through golf balls,via  dot matrix and 4 colour ribbons  to ink jets, none have lasted or been as reliable as my brother laser.Dont print for a few weeks/months?no problem,blocked inkjets dont happen,nor do smuged print output or soggy paper

Hmm, yes. My geeky stepson keeps saying how much better laser printers are. My doubts are 1) they are much more expensive to buy, 2) toner cartridges are even more expensive than ink, although they are supposed to last much longer and 3) they appear to be physically much bigger. Most of the ones I have seen advertised seem to be about the size of a small fridge and I don't have room for that in my little living room, whereas at least my inkjet printer sits unobtrusively in a corner. I shall ponder the matter further.

Cheers,

Chris

Steve Brassett

Quote from: Papyrus on April 08, 2018, 11:53:21 AM
Hmm, yes. My geeky stepson keeps saying how much better laser printers are. My doubts are 1) they are much more expensive to buy, 2) toner cartridges are even more expensive than ink, although they are supposed to last much longer and 3) they appear to be physically much bigger. Most of the ones I have seen advertised seem to be about the size of a small fridge and I don't have room for that in my little living room, whereas at least my inkjet printer sits unobtrusively in a corner. I shall ponder the matter further.

Cheers,

Chris
I must say, it is number 3 that puts me off.  They do seem to be big, especially if you want one that scans as well.

Tavora

If you are going for a new printer you might want to check the Epson Ecotank. More expensive but worth every penny.
Cartridge-free printing, two years' worth of ink, mobile printing (Wi-fi), plus in some models you can extent the warranty to 3 years for free.
My father as one ET-2550 and he prints in industrial scale (crazy amounts per day). The ink costs £13.49 (140ml) each bottle or the smaller bottles £8.99 (70 ml) each. The initial investment is greater but at long term its the cheapest option.
My father is being testing this machine to the limit and beyond, I don't believe anyone has put the machine through so much. Unless you get the hammer and go at it.
I guess for normal house use the machine would last forever. And yes my father had one issue (after 2 years of every day printing), after a quick phone call to their technical support team, Epson just swapped it for a brand new one boxed with cables and new inks without any hassle at all (including pick it up and drop new one off).

https://www.epson.co.uk/productfinder/gb/en/content/open/productfinder/index.php?search=ecotank

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations