Not happy

Started by Dorsetmike, February 23, 2018, 07:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razzmataz

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 25, 2018, 04:18:14 PM
Quote from: Razzmataz on February 25, 2018, 04:01:52 PM
5Mb disks. These were solid, magnetic coated, aluminium the size if an LP
So if I had said Filton it wouldnt have caused surprise then ?!!

Does not mean a thing I'm afraid. Mind you, my memory is not what it used to be!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Razzmataz on February 25, 2018, 05:10:01 PMDoes not mean a thing I'm afraid. Mind you, my memory is not what it used to be!
Tell me about it, that is why I was having trouble with the numbers :)
Filton = BAe Bristol, which is where this big beast lived (big room, half of one floor) and I had to share 1/2 of its time with Concord peeps designing air intakes on it. Thought for a mo. you might have been there too, not often one meets anyone who has used an EAI Hybrid ! (and who knows like us how to proper speel analogue  :) )

Sorry @Dorsetmike for all my noise, back to you :)

Razzmataz

Babcock & Wilcox, Great Dover Street London. Control & Analysis. Nuclear Energy Dept.

MalcolmInN

:thumbsup: happy days thanks for triggering nostalgia  :)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 24, 2018, 04:12:37 PMor 8.1 as optional add ons.

I'm sticking with Win 7 and returning the new machine for a refund.
I tried Win8.1 once, oh dear, wouldnt wish it on anyone !

Like you I am quite happy with Win7 until something better comes along.

There is another way to upgrade to Win10, buy a 'refurbished'-recycled m/c.
If you wait as long to upgrade as we have that way you get a newer m/c, very cheaply, and you can play and get used to it whilst still keeping your comfey slippers and wooly jumper - ahem ! I mean your old familiar Win7 m/c.
My local recycler has cheap Win10 things already
Oh yes, and by now all the hullabloo has died down and by the sound of @Big bad John 's good experience all the bugs have been ironed out.

The Q

Ferrite core stores now there's a memory, mind you I still worked on equipment using them till 2001, and they went on a few years after that.

How about a drum store?
A 19 inch rack 4 ft high, inside was a spinning drum with fixed heads arranged all the way up the vertical side of the drum. What ever you do don't overfill the oil bearing on top of it spins out and runs down  the magnetic surface ruining it. It would then take weeks to reload the system using paper tape after a new drum was fitted.

Big bad John

I don't know if the free upgrade works from a dvd or usb drive now that Microsoft has officially ended the free upgrade. You do need a licenced version of win 7 8 or 8.1 already installed on your pc and it upgrades like for like ie home for home or pro for pro etc. I just downloaded the media creation tool and run it and let it do it's thing verification etc was done automatically as my pc was still connected to the internet. I don't know how you would go about the digital licence without being connected to the web. I suspect this is an oversight by Microsoft and doubt it won't be long before they close this loophole. Then again the more people they can get to upgrade the sooner they can pull the plug on the other op systems. One of the things that swayed me to upgrade is that I read that win 10 will be the last op system and as far as they are concerned they have no intension of bringing out a win 11 just to continually update win 10 so hopefully this will be the last time I need to upgrade.

MalcolmInN

It seems to be that it was only the GMX GWX path that was ended, the media creation tool is still available, until they close that as well of course !
Yes, all fully licenced, reason they are not connected to the internet is that we dont need them to be, not got a rountuit (need a wire or a wifi dongle)  and meanwhile they are behind -what I think these days is called- an airwall :)
Good point about needing a new digital licence via a connection to complete, thanks.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Malc on February 25, 2018, 05:04:11 PM
I made an iso and burned a DVD to upgrade. I think it immediately checked for upgrades after finishing, but not during installation.

Now that's a really good idea, I think I will do the same if the upgrade is still available.  :thumbsup:

MalcolmInN

I've corrected my GWX dyslexical earlier !

doing a bit more reading round it seems that DVD and/or USB can be made but need to be 'activated' now to get the digital whatsits, then you can keep it for future re-installs on that one m/c. regardless of the upgrade route being closed off.
I may have to do at least one of my machines just to see what Win10 is like :)
but , but , I can buy a legit desktop with Win10 for only £50, which saves jumping through hoops  ;D

lil chris

Hi there, this pc I am writing on is still on W7 (my railway pc ie a oldish one) I tried the free upgrade while it was still active but the pc kept locking up so I reverted back to W7. My new PC downstairs, well I say new it was when I built it in 2016 I bought a legal copy of W10 and did a clean install and that pc is brilliant, no complaints. I might buy another copy for this pc soon, you can buy a legal digital copy of W10pro for £21 online, I have had a few copies, I have built 3 pc's, for different people and bought the software with no problems.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

MalcolmInN

Quote from: lil chris on February 26, 2018, 09:12:20 PM
you can buy a legal digital copy of W10pro for £21 online, I have had a few copies, I have built 3 pc's, for different people and bought the software with no problems.
Oh! That isnt much, less than some sharewares even.
When did Ms become so reasonable? obviously I've not been paying enough attention, how does that work, any good links ?
Ta.

njee20

It's generally people re-selling bulk licences, or reusing keys from decommissioned hardware. They are totally legit, you're not buying 'fake' software, but it's against the licence terms from MS (not your problem). If you literally buy through Microsoft it's far more expensive.

I've bought a couple and never had a problem - paid £5 for a W10 key last month for my Mac Mini on the railway.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: njee20 on February 26, 2018, 09:42:28 PM
It's generally people re-selling bulk licences,
terms from MS (not your problem).
I've bought a couple and never had a problem - paid £
Curioser and curioser,
where are these peeps generally to be found, ebay ?
and if M$ arn't worried then yes ok not our prob.

If they had treated the unwashed public as their 'bulk' customers and discountable over the years they would not have come in for the stick they did, nor have had to go to the extraordinary antitheiving lengths that makes one feel a criminal for even thinking of changing a HD !
[/rant]

njee20

Yep, just search eBay.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations