Not happy

Started by Dorsetmike, February 23, 2018, 07:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Further to my intermittent crashing PC, I bought a new machine, kept the RAM and disc to the minimum spec intending to use the SSD and RAM from the intermittent one, so I lashed out £298 on a new machine with an AMD A10 series CPU/GPU 4G ram and 500G drive, no OS, no DVD drive thinking swap out the 500G for the 2TB in the old machine and same with 16G RAM.

DOOM, the CPU was the A10-9700 mine is the A10-7860   and the RAM was DDR4, mine is DDR3, as though that's not enough the A10-9700 will not run Win 7, only Win 10 cue being that the USB mouse and K/B failed to work, a PS2 K/B did work but I couldn't find a PS2 mouse. So now I have to pay return of the new heap and start the search for something that will run Win 7, no way am I going to chance Win10, I have Win 7 pro 64 and Home premium 64, it works for me on 2 PCs and a laptop. One thing I found strange was the fact that the mouse worked in BIOS set up but not in Windows.

I would have thought that a warning re only Win 10 should have been included in the write up on Ebay, OK my not catching the DDR4/DDR3 clash is my problem.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Caz

I'm finding Win10 really good and solid, running it on 3 machines including the railway laptop and not had a problem despite 1 of the computers being about 8 years old so I wouldn't discount using Win10 Mike.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

njee20

Windows 10 is vastly superior to W7 IMO. You're using a heavily outdated OS, time to move on.

Re: the RAM, DDR4 is faster than DDR3, how's that a problem? You mean you've accidentally bought a computer which is better than the one you've replaced?

davidinyork

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 23, 2018, 07:09:56 PM
the A10-9700 will not run Win 7, only Win 10 cue being that the USB mouse and K/B failed to work, a PS2 K/B did work but I couldn't find a PS2 mouse. So now I have to pay return of the new heap and start the search for something that will run Win 7, no way am I going to chance Win10, I have Win 7 pro 64 and Home premium 64, it works for me on 2 PCs and a laptop. One thing I found strange was the fact that the mouse worked in BIOS set up but not in Windows.

Sounds very much like the ports on the new motherboard are all USB3. Windows 7 doesn't include the drivers for  USB3 controllers on the installation media, so your options there would be to either slipstream the drivers into the installation media, or buy a USB2 port card and stick it in one of the expansion slots on the motherboard.

Windows 7 is old now so you will increasingly find you can't get it to run on new hardware without a lot of pissing around. I've generally found Windows 10 to be fine - have about 160 computers with it on, and although as with all versions of Windows there are niggles, it's by and large OK. Its biggest issue us the way roaming profiles on a network play up, but that won't affect home users. It's also a lot quicker to install than previous versions as it's pretty good at finding all the drivers it needs and you don't have to manually install them as is often the case with Windows 7.

I reckon you'd be best to just buy a Windows 10 license and use that, to be honest.

ntpntpntp

Windows 10 is fine. I took advantage of the free period and updated all our PCs that could take it. I really don't understand the reluctance to adopt Win 10 unless you have some really old software or hardware that just won't work on it (which is why I still keep one pc on Win98)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Mr Sprue

For what its worth I have been very reluctant to upgrade to windows 10 even when it was being offered as a free upgrade from MS, there were at the time too many glitches that peeps were having problems with. I'm still using Win 7 on all three of my desktop PC's ( 2x 64 bit 1 x 32) with no issue's at all.

I guess sooner or later the PC that I use for my internet activity will eventually have to go win 10 for security reasons, but as for my 64 stand alone that it is going to stay 7 as there is too much valuable work and programs installed on it that I don't dare risk being screwed by an upgrade, or by myself fumbling getting accustomed to a new OS.

My PC's are 755 Dells SFF's!! :goggleeyes: Ok admittedly they have been beefed, but in the time I have had them they have outperformed all their predecessors!     

Mr Sprue

Quote from: ntpntpntp on February 23, 2018, 10:15:24 PM
Windows 10 is fine. I took advantage of the free period and updated all our PCs that could take it. I really don't understand the reluctance to adopt Win 10 unless you have some really old software or hardware that just won't work on it (which is why I still keep one pc on Win98)

Win98 now that was an OS which was bolted together. From what I have been told by friends working in BT they were very reluctant to change as it was so reliable!  As I remember 3.2 was ok also, state of the art in its day but knowledge of DOS was essential!  ::) 

davidinyork

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 23, 2018, 10:26:21 PM
For what its worth I have been very reluctant to upgrade to windows 10 even when it was being offered as a free upgrade from MS, there were at the time too many glitches that peeps were having problems with.
Like what?

You do tend to hear this sort of second-hand 'somebody had problems' reason for trying to avoid new operating systems for years, but there is often no actual detail about what these supposed problems are!

It has now reached the point, though, where running Windows 7 on new hardware is getting increasingly difficult. Unless there is a reall strong reason, and in most cases there isn't, it's fairly pointless to try. I manage about 160 computers spread over 8 sites, running quite a wide variety of software, and have Windows 10 on all of them. I can't think of any programs we use which would run on Windows 7 but which wouldn't run on Windows 10.

Dorsetmike

My 2 PCs  both have AMD A10 series quad core CPUs with integral GPUs with 8 cores, 256G SSDs, 2 TB HDDs and 16G DDR3 RAM, both have USB2 & USB3, (both purchased from from Ebuyer), I also have a Panasonic Toughbook that also has an AMD CPU  and 120G SSD, all 3 machines run Win 7 pro 64bit; it does all that I need, runs all the software I use regularly; no problems with drivers for the OKI colour laser, Canon Scanner and plotter cutter: I'll be 84 in just over 4 weeks so don't fancy changing the way I work; both the PCs  are running all day every day except when I have to go out, even then as often as not it's just switch off the monitor.

My first PC was an Amstrad 1512, 2 floppy disc drives, no hard disc; followed by an Amstrad 1640 again 2 floppies plus a 32K hard drive mounted on an extension card. OS was DR-DOS plus GEM which was an early graphical interface predating Windows by about 9 months.  Before any PC I had a colour Genie, a Z80 based machine running Basic plus I also did some programming in machine code, mainly subroutines called from Basic.

So I do know me way round a computer, after the Amstrads I built my own 286 and 386 machines, didn't start using Windows until 3.1, then 95, 98, XP and now 7 which may see me out; as I have updates disabled it's likely that I won't be worried about loss of support, I don't get any now!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

daveg

Nice history, Mike.

I started 'home computing' with a PCW1512 running CPM with Locoscript. It was so expensive but it did everything I needed back then - script writing and bulk mailings. The Amstrad daisy wheel printer required the user to leave the room or wear ear defenders!

Now I have a Win10 laptop and wireless networked printers, etc. How the world has changed!

I'm bound to miss the reminder for your birthday so have a great birthday when it comes.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Ditape

My home computing started with a ZX80 move on to a ZX81, then a dragon 32, then a dragon 64 and then I got my first PC a 386 machine. My scientific use of computers started with a IBM 1130 main frame @ college. Now I have a i7,16 gig, 2 gig graphics, 250 gig SSD, 3 tb HD, I also have a i3 lap top both running Windows 10 which I honestly think is the best version yet, sorry to highjack your thread but I found the move from Windows 7 quite painless.
Diane Tape

njee20

With the best will in the world Mike you're buying new hardware and expecting it to work with obsolete software. That's like lamenting the fact the newest Farish models won't work with Zero1!

I don't wish to be controversial, but if you'd kept the OS up to date maybe you wouldn't have had problems with your old computer crashing frequently...

Bob G

Quote from: Ditape on February 24, 2018, 09:01:50 AM
My home computing started with a ZX80 move on to a ZX81, then a dragon 32, then a dragon 64 and then I got my first PC a 386 machine. My scientific use of computers started with a IBM 1130 main frame @ college. Now I have a i7,16 gig, 2 gig graphics, 250 gig SSD, 3 tb HD, I also have a i3 lap top both running Windows 10 which I honestly think is the best version yet, sorry to highjack your thread but I found the move from Windows 7 quite painless.

And the move from Vista to Windows 10 was an absolute joy.
The only problem i had on Windows 10 was the Creators update last fall (sorry, Autumn!). Really messed up my system when at the same time my laptop motherboard blew and i struggled to work (self-employed). Still, i am lucky to have an IT guru as a friend (sorry, subcontractor). He reads the online posts too, but he understands what they mean, and i dont. He finds almost everyone online has suffered whatever it is you are suffering, and there is always a solution (often wait for the next MS update to fix what they messed up the last time).

Bob

NeMo

Quote from: njee20 on February 24, 2018, 10:05:00 AM
That's like lamenting the fact the newest Farish models won't work with Zero1!

Brilliant analogy!

Quote from: njee20 on February 24, 2018, 10:05:00 AM
I don't wish to be controversial, but if you'd kept the OS up to date maybe you wouldn't have had problems with your old computer crashing frequently...

Sound advice, especially if you're using Windows.

I do think, @Dorsetmike, at some point we, the user, go from early adopters to diehard users of old fashioned machines. Up until about 2010, I would follow every Mac update slavishly, not only reviewing new software as part of job, but diddling around with the hardware and software for fun. But I now I don't really care. I have a set-up that works really well and reliably, and the various updates and hardware revisions Apple put out there don't energise me at all.

All part of the ageing process, I guess!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

davidinyork

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 23, 2018, 11:35:32 PM
So I do know me way round a computer, after the Amstrads I built my own 286 and 386 machines, didn't start using Windows until 3.1, then 95, 98, XP and now 7 which may see me out; as I have updates disabled it's likely that I won't be worried about loss of support, I don't get any now!

If the computers are connected to the internet, blocking updates is a spectacularly bad idea - it will make them a sitting target for any malware which exploits known operating system flaws for which patches have been issued.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations