Micro SD card from phone

Started by Bealman, February 09, 2018, 01:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Hi Forum computer gurus!

I have a micro SD card from an old phone and can't remember what's on it, but there are probably a heap of photos that I've long forgotten about.

So I acquired a Verbatim Micro SD adapter, thinking  all I had to do was plug it into my laptop and inspect the contents. When I do, I get a satisfactory beep acknowledging that the computer realises there's something plugged in there, and the little symbol comes up on the lower toolbar (Windows Vista).

However, when I go to the Computer window to look at Devices with Removable Storage, there's nothing there! Therefore I can't look, can I.

When I click on the Safely Remove symbol on the lower toolbar, it comes up with "Generic - Multi - Card USB device" which when clicked on allows me to safely remove the adapter card from the laptop.

I'm thinking that the word "Generic" suggests some sort of compatibility problem, but can't really see why it should.

I've tried the little switch on the side of the adapter in both the lock and unlocked positions, all to no effect.

Anyone got any ideas, please?

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

It's possible the micro SD card is not working, these SD cards do go "bad' sometimes. You could try cleaning the contact strips (if feasible), they could be dirty/tarnished (I've done that with a full-sized SD card before). Do you have another device you can try it in?

Bealman

Just looked at my Samsung Tab 3 and it has a micro SD slot. I'll give it a try!

By the way, Bealette spent a night in Tokyo last weekend!  :thumbsup:

George

Bealman

ok, just put it in Tab 3. Nothing comes up. When I go to settings - storage - SD card, it just says "Mount SD card. When I click on that, nothing happens.

Does this suggest a bad SD card? Should I try cleaning the contacts with IPA?

Although the contacts look clean enough to me.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Bealman on February 09, 2018, 01:53:33 AM
Tab 3. "Mount SD card. When I click on that, nothing happens.

Does this suggest a bad SD card?
Aint necessarily so.
Dont yet do anything like "scan and correct" or "recover" or "you need to format before,, "  nor any other options your os may suggest yet.

I dunno about Samsungs but "mount" is favoured of unix, linux and maybe Android and Mac. It doesnt sound like FAT Fat16 NTFS etc favoured of Windows.

There are a whole host of (low level) formats available to SD ( and other storage devices) and until you (we!) can discover which your old phone was using we are up a gum tree !

You must gird your loins and explore the minefield of freeware utilities to determine which format is in use
good luck with that !

MalcolmInN

unless of course you can remember what your old phone was called ?
I mean by the manufacturer , not in your vernacular !!! lol

Bealman

It was either a HTC Desire or a Samsung J3.... one or the other.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Bealman on February 09, 2018, 03:13:31 AM
It was either a HTC Desire or a Samsung J3.... one or the other.
HTC D., looks like an android one, so you are well in with a chance, but it may need you booting to a Linux OS - I suggest Mint Linux  and exploring utilities.

Samsung seem to have been using their own  more exotic linux variations !

Anyway, it does not seem like a Windows box will see it, so over to the morning shift of knowledgeable souls >>> :)

Bealman

I could always put the card in my current phone which is also a HTC, and try loading to the computer with a USB cable, I suppose. If it works, that's probably the easiest, I suppose.

dave d

If all else fails, try downloading one of the free recovery software packages (eg; Recuva) to see what is on it.
I use RescuePro Deluxe as my "go to" recovery software (though you do have to buy it) :(

Paul-H

Interestingly I have had a few Sandisk (Genuine ones) go read only when used in my Samsung Devices, annoyingly they were all 64gb versions and I cant find the receipts for replacement, I try not to buy sandisk products now as a result.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

njee20

Can you not just reformat them in a computer?

Bealman

I thought reformatting them loses the data?

njee20

Yep. but no reason you can't copy it all first, and Paul was suggesting he'd want replacements, so presumably isn't fussed about the data.

Bealman

Yes, I see what you're saying now. SD read only, copy files and then reformat.

Sounds good to me!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations