!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scrapping Eurostars  (Read 1604 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Scrapping Eurostars
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 10:13:27 am »
The exhibition centre building still exists, not exactly sure what it's used for right now (it was LoveWorld -
 "God's Embassy" at one point!)

:-[ What happens in LoveWorld, stays in LoveWorld!
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:30 pm »
 :(

The main theme of this thread makes me so sad.

When I was 8, the Channel Tunnel was the single best thing going on in engineering (oh I did/do adore Concorde, but we all thought she was here to stay....oh lord  :'().

The Kato Eurostar was my ultimate ultimate wish list present, Ferrari at the school gates cool (to me)....and I had the best surprise and subsequent Christmas ever when I was 10 and got one (plus expansion set, which I opened first, which kept the surprise going....).

I also avidly read all the articles I could about the 92 (pre internet, bought magazines just for those pictures) and many many years later got my CJM 92022.

I got to go to Belgium from St Pancras (and back) once, never managed it out of Waterloo (sat and watched loads of sets coming and going though).

Seeing the 373 sets going to scrap makes me feel old....

Skyline2uk

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:42 pm »
wonder if anyone bought the second hand tunneling machine that was parked beside the M20,with a for sale sign,1 careful owner.It was there a good few months as we passed it  several times  on our,at the time,regular trips  to and from germany
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:13:56 pm by themadhippy »

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:04 am »
wonder if anyone bought the second hand tunneling machine that was parked beside the M20,with a for sale sign,1 careful owner.It was there a good few months as we passed it  several times  on our,at the time,regular trips  to and from germany

Yes it sold for £39899. the money was split between 3 charities

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/40000-buys-channel-tunnel-dril-a12566/

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 12:41:25 am »

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/40000-buys-channel-tunnel-dril-a12566/

Wonder what happened to it after that!?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 12:43:21 am »

Wonder what happened to it after that!?

Cheers,
Alan

Scrap

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 01:54:32 am »
I think it was a complete waste of a perfectly good piece of rolling stock. Surely someone must have thought why don't we use these trains on the national network? Shorten them down slightly which will leave them with plenty of spares and use them on the electrified networks.
There always seems to be a passenger train shortage in this country. Let's use them!

Offline malc-c

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 02:15:44 am »
I think it was a complete waste of a perfectly good piece of rolling stock. Surely someone must have thought why don't we use these trains on the national network? Shorten them down slightly which will leave them with plenty of spares and use them on the electrified networks.
There always seems to be a passenger train shortage in this country. Let's use them!

From reading up on these, the reasons were several fold.  Loading gauge restricted the lines they can run on, hence why this was dragged from St Pancras up the ECML and then across to the scrap yard rather then go up the midland main line.  Also their length meant serious investment in modding platforms etc to accommodate them, even the sets that were nicknamed "north of london" sets were still quite long.  There was also power issues, and at the time the power delivery couldn't handle the current draw, especially if both power cars were employed.  There were apparently reports that they frequently tripped the grid at kings cross.

It is sad to see these being retired and then scrapped, but I guess that it's a case of economics and its cheaper to buy new efficient trains with all the mod cons than upgrade and refurbish 20-25 year old stock.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 08:02:07 am »
They’re very complex too, as they’re basically two trains joined together, and they’ve got all the redundant cab signalling equipment. It’s a nice theory, but they weren’t a viable prospect on the ECML when they weren’t knackered...

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything