what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I'd go with that. If you are not happy now you never will be. It took me a while to rip out the station at Port Perran but once I'd done it I felt so much better.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Vigo

Thanks for the comments everyone. There's a lot of little niggly things about the layout that are bothering me, not least of which is I can't have a reliable continuous run on either of the main lines.
If I'm honest, I committed the cardinal sin when I started this layout, in that I concentrated more on the scenic aspect rather than being 100% on the track. My own fault really but thinking that I will start again means that those problems will be ironed out properly this time and I'll still have all the scenics that I'll be able to re-use.

This time around I think I'll give more thought to the operationals of the layout rather than just making it look 'pretty'. Maybe think about magnets for uncoupling in the sidings and things like that. I would love to get the wagon turntables in front of the goods shed to work. I've seen it done successfully in 00 but is it possible in N?

Hmm. All this has really got me thinking and I shouldn't be. I need to go to bed (I work nights).

I'm going to do it. A complete rebuild, this time using sense not sentiment.... just not today.
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Sprintex

Quote from: steve836 on April 29, 2014, 06:55:21 PM
Quote from: Sprintex on April 27, 2014, 08:50:13 PM
Not quite "layout", but spent most of the day making a camera car, or more accurately a "camera coach"  :)

Paul
Sounds great please post some footage when its up and running

All done and working, thread HERE :thumbsup:

Paul

steve836

Well done Paul Bet you wish you modelled the old G.W. 7ft gauge!still it works well & that's the main thing.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

steve836

Just a thought , Paul, Have you checked clearances on platforms, tunnels etc. & are the sticking out bits essential to the working of the camera?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

port perran

Been trying to make some Cornish Palm trees to go on Port Perran station platforms (much as used to be the case at St Austell and St Erth amongst others). Not sure I'm happy with what I've done though - will see when the glue has dried and I can have a proper look !

johnlambert

Not exactly on my layout but related to it.  Successfully managed to replace the spring in a Dapol easi-fit knuckle coupling.  First time I've ever managed this so I'm feeling quite proud; even if I did sacrifice one spare spring to the carpet gods first ;)

scotsoft

Quote from: johnlambert on May 03, 2014, 11:47:03 AM
Not exactly on my layout but related to it.  Successfully managed to replace the spring in a Dapol easi-fit knuckle coupling.  First time I've ever managed this so I'm feeling quite proud; even if I did sacrifice one spare spring to the carpet gods first ;)

Well done John  :thumbsup:

I have an idea just how you feel as I remember the first time I successfully fitted a spring to a Rapido coupling  ;)

cheers John.

Tdm

Having recently returned from a West Africa Cruise, and on my return I turned my attention back to my 1st N gauge layout “Anglezarke & Belmont Railway” which I have been building & constantly re-assembling since last September.

Apart from a few items on pre-order from Hattons that I am waiting for (Cumbrian Express Pack & weathered CL37 Diesel D6827 + some replacement Peco setrack pieces), it is now mostly complete and I have no room to add anything else.

Not a layout for the purists, but I like to see trains running round the track, both steam and diesel, and I have posted below a Link to a short YouTube video I have made of the layout containing both still photos & some camcorder footage, and to which I have added some music, so don't forget to un-mute the volume.

Not the best of videos, but an improvement on the last one I made of my model railway, and whilst on the subject of videos if anyone is interested, I have also posted a Link to the YouTube video I made of our recent Cruise, which again includes music but no trains, although I did see (and photograph) the ornate frontage of the main Railway Station in Dakar, Senegal.

Tenerife Model Railway video >
http://youtu.be/FbBRuIK5dhM

West Africa Cruise video >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmoC6ABsvc

1936ace

Just picked up some timber to make the small to sit my control panel on for barts end and with a bit of luck get time this afternoon to install and test the panel
Bart

port perran

Been digging the allotments all day and totally kn********d so it was great this evening just to watch some trains running around the layout with absolutely no problems for a couple of hours.

Malc

Just about to take a saw to my layout and strip it down. I am starting work on no. 2 and I can't get no.1 out of the loft intact. Will be stripping the points off and putting them up for sale
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

GeeBee

Not working on the layout but playi testing the with trains the electronic integrity of the track. All right I was playing trains and it was fun as well.
:ngauge: :confused2:

talisman56

Playing 'catch the spring', while putting the bogies together on my NGS Bogie Bolster kits...

...and then found the little bag in one of the kits that should contain all the bogie bits in doesn't have any coupling boxes in it!!  :'(  >:(  :doh:

At least two wagons will have wheelsets to run on:

[smg id=12186]

Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations