what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talisman56

Quote from: newportnobby on January 21, 2014, 04:29:51 PM
Trying to figure out why a piece of track between 2 opposing points worked perfectly well yesterday but doesn't today :veryangry:
It's gotta be one of 2 points - grrrr

I've had that problem, too. A little bit of tweaking of the blades resolved that, and forced me to note that I really need to stop relying on blade contact...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

ColinH

Trying to improve the reliability of the trackwork so I don't have to keep pushing the loco's.

After spending lots of time trying to 'tweak' the point leading to the central area cos it kept derailing coaches when they crossed it as a facing point had to bite the bullet and change it for a different point. Of course for some reason none of the points I had were the same length so that meant that I had to adjust the adjoining trackwork as well  :veryangry:

Also tried adjusting the short incline to the central area as some of the loco's did not seem to like the original - think they may have been loosing contact with the rail.

Coaches now travel through facing point OK but 'one step forward and two steps back' still not happy with incline and I may have to look at resoldering one of the droppers on that stretch as that may be the cause of the stalling.

Next thing is to replace 3 insulfrog points for electrofrog.  :doh: Why didn't i use them in the first place as I had them in box of bits  :-[
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

mr bachmann

found my old faithfull Rivarossi pacific about 30 years old , it runs well so its getting chipped and led's fitted , then it will replace the 'F' units that hauls the open tourist train through the gorge , it will look great in Rio Grande bumble bee colors , will post a picky of the full train when finished .

alan

Nick

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Croxy

If you like it run it......

Newportnobby

Quote from: talisman56 on January 21, 2014, 05:10:01 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on January 21, 2014, 04:29:51 PM
Trying to figure out why a piece of track between 2 opposing points worked perfectly well yesterday but doesn't today :veryangry:
It's gotta be one of 2 points - grrrr

I've had that problem, too. A little bit of tweaking of the blades resolved that, and forced me to note that I really need to stop relying on blade contact...

Seems the contact blades required a little cleaning ::)
I have sourced some thin pipe cleaners which, when dipped in IPA, are the ideal size for getting between the rails without placing any undue strain on the blades.

barnyswain

4 tasks

1, solder 2 pairs of track joints
2, test electrics
3, fix down (glue) a section of flex
4. run trains

Dave F

Landscaping the river valley section of my layout and painting the bridges for it.

port perran

All track re-laid and secured at my main station.  Holes carefully (I hope) drilled out for point motors.
Next step is to fix and wire up all the point motors.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

GeeBee

Allowed back into the layout (loft), 70% of track now laid starting to drill the holes for the power and point leads.
Hospital visits allowing.
:bounce:

ParkeNd

Planting grass.

I know that to be considered a proper modeller I should probably be shaking electrostatic grass onto the layout - but I haven't. I have used Gaugemaster GM140 6mm spring meadow grass matting made by Noch and it is better than superb. Rather than just stick great sheets of it down I have cut and torn it into smaller bits and applied it where needed using Copydex.

The backing is a glue-like membrane making it very flexible, it has varied density and shading and stands up like real grass. It's best cut like teddy bear fur - between the filaments.

Fantastic stuff. Photos later - but as per my last post on the layout - NOT YET.

ParkeNd

Update on the Gaugemaster/Noch grass. By gently waving a flat brush through it with almost dry acrylic paint on it you can add seed heads, worn patches, and slightly different tones like sun dried etc.

daveg

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 24, 2014, 11:56:47 PM
Update on the Gaugemaster/Noch grass. By gently waving a flat brush through it with almost dry acrylic paint on it you can add seed heads, worn patches, and slightly different tones like sun dried etc.

A couple pics would be appreciated!  :camera:

Dave G

Nick

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 23, 2014, 11:56:37 PM
It's best cut like teddy bear fur - between the filaments.

You cut up teddy bears???  :goggleeyes: What sort of cruel, depraved monster are you??? :D :D
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations