what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Wow!.... from wot we see here, it would be frozen solid or need floaties on your bike!

Having said that, I hope anyone reading this was spared the recent bad weather.

All the best, George.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

johnlambert

Doing a little more scenic work.  Never used scatter before so this is a first for me.  I thought I'd try a mix of Gaugemaster green and Woodland Scenics yellow grass.

For the larger part of the cutting I thought I'd spray some brown paint first.  I wish I'd done this for the first bits!

I'm quite pleased with how it is coming together.  Who knows, it might even be ready to exhibit by November ;)

Newportnobby

Busy reducing perfectly good timber and Sundeala to sawdust and powder.
Someone said to wear a mask when cutting Sundeala but my Jason mask scared the cr life out of the postman :smackedface:
Alternating drill batteries too.

ParkeNd

Quote from: newportnobby on January 11, 2014, 04:40:02 PM
Busy reducing perfectly good timber and Sundeala to sawdust and powder.
Someone said to wear a mask when cutting Sundeala but my Jason mask scared the cr life out of the postman :smackedface:
Alternating drill batteries too.

They say to wear a mask for MDF too. The amount I dust just sawing a small amount of it with a jigsaw was phenomenal. Covered SWMBOs Fiesta with dust which went down a treat. Cost me a car wash. Birch ply proved comparatively painless.

How's the hip?

CarriageShed

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 11, 2014, 05:00:56 PM
They say to wear a mask for MDF too. The amount I dust just sawing a small amount of it with a jigsaw was phenomenal. Covered SWMBOs Fiesta with dust which went down a treat. Cost me a car wash. Birch ply proved comparatively painless.

Definitely wear a face mask. It's lovely easy stuff to work with, but the fibres will get into your lungs when you're cutting it. Not good.

Newportnobby

Rest assured folks - I was wearing a mask and safety goggles :)

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 11, 2014, 05:00:56 PM
Birch ply proved comparatively painless.

Seems a bit of a severe punishment from SWMBO :o

Nick

Making good the missing sleepers at track joints.

Fiddly, repetitive, but strangely therapeutic.  :)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Malc

Having spent 3 months messing around with the town layout, finally started fixing down and installing lighting cables.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

ngauger

This:

Don't know about you, but they scream 'Walthamstow' & 'Stevenage' to me.

Scalescenes flats (of course!)

http://scalescenes.com/products/TO10-Low-Relief-Flats
LNWR & Midland Railway Company

GeeBee

Made a start on laying track, then Pam suffered a mini stroke last night 6  hours in A&E railway room closed for the next 2 weeks,
Ho Humm  :sick2:

talisman56

Quote from: GeeBee on January 15, 2014, 09:59:25 PM
Made a start on laying track, then Pam suffered a mini stroke last night 6  hours in A&E railway room closed for the next 2 weeks,

Having had a mini-stroke (TIA) myself, I sympathise greatly  :( - Take care of your SO (and yourself!), at a time like this, modelling can wait.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Cooper

Had a visit from Jon today http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=profile;u=2671and we set to on sorting out switching the main fiddle yard points. These have proved prone to unreliable operation at shows due to dirt build up on the blades. They've been wired and have operating switches added now.

Only problem is that they've started to disintegrate, with sleepers coming adrift and the spring coming out of one which will entail it all lifting and resoldering again before the impending NGF meet up.  :'(
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17224.msg171066#msg171066

daveg

Quote from: talisman56 on January 15, 2014, 10:08:27 PM

Having had a mini-stroke (TIA) myself, I sympathise greatly  :( - Take care of your SO (and yourself!), at a time like this, modelling can wait.

Had a TIA in 2009 while driving. Very scary! Rest and daily meds help reduce the risk of a further episode.

Hope all turns out well.

Dave G

Newportnobby

Very best wishes to Pam for a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations