The Great Model Railway Challenge - N Gauge

Started by Michael Shillabeer, October 16, 2018, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shillabeer

Hello

While not part of the challenge itself an N Gauge model has been produced by one of the teams to celebrate 95 years of the Radio Times

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-10-05/radio-times-95th-birthday-replica-delivery-van-railway/

Cheers
Michael

Calnefoxile

You know what, I actually think that's probably almost the first non-condescending article about our fabulous hobby that I've read.

What a brilliant article.

Thanks for pointing that out @Michael Shillabeer

cheers

Neal.

Ditape

A very good article, thanks for pointing it out. :thankyousign:
Diane Tape

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NinOz

Loved this bit:
"....all with varying degrees of hair loss or tummies that long ago took the southern branch line...."

Thanks Michael.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Buffin

Absolutely, it's a nice affectionate article, based on an evocative photograph. (There were no routemasters in 1951, though; the first prototype was completed in 1954. Yes, I remember when they were something new.)

daffy

Episode 3 on tonight at 8:00, Channel 5.

5 minutes away!

Repeat of course on 5+1 at 9:00
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Would someone please tell the presenter giving the competition details at the ad breaks that it's NOT the Eksdale Railway. :veryangry:

Thanks.

Dfafy.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: daffy on October 19, 2018, 08:32:01 PM
Would someone please tell the presenter giving the competition details at the ad breaks that it's NOT the Eksdale Railway. :veryangry:
Yeah, that annoyed me last week too
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

GroupC

Me too, and also every time they air the competition. Eksdale? Xdale? "Ex-dale?" (if it was a dale before, what is it now?)

I wonder if he's one of these infuriating metropolitan self-styled hipster types who also cannot say the letter "s" but instead uses the "sh" sound, for example "shtop". Or if he's one of those who cannot say the word "asked" but instead pronounces it "arksed". Or uses the term "airplane" but is not American, when it is clearly "aeroplane".

Thick, basically.

I could go on but I have to have a lie down now after all that.

littlegs

I agree totally with above posts regarding the Radio Times Article.
It is really nice for a change that we are not portrayed an a bunch of "Middle Aged Anorak wearing Nerds" as is more usual of the British media.
I remember a TV interview with Rod Stewart a while back where the presenter thought it was really funny(not) to ridicule Rod and his model railway passion by having a toy trainset featuring Thomas the Tank Engine speeding around a small oval of track on the table in front of them.
Buffin There is no need to go down the rivet counter route. just enjoy the article for what it is.
Chris

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 20, 2018, 08:59:54 AM

Dfafy.

Did you used to be Daffy of this parish? If so, I claim my £5 prize. :laugh:

I think you should show the Comte d'Fafy some respect ;)

daffy

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 20, 2018, 08:59:54 AM

Dfafy.

Did you used to be Daffy of this parish? If so, I claim my £5 prize. :laugh:

No prize I'm afraid Mick. :no:

It was a deliberate play by me, transposing second and third letters of my name just as the TV presenter was doing to Eskdale.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations