Hornby Drop Thomas

Started by Graham Walters, April 20, 2018, 02:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Walters

If you were thinking of getting your son/daughter, Grandson/daughter a Thomas set for Christmas this year, then you better get down to the shops now !

Hornby have  sent out a trade press release today that it is going to drop the Thomas range from it's portfolio at the end of 2018, and production will cease almost immediately.

Reason's given are mainly H&S and the sale of Elelctric trains to the age demographic.

Hornby do produce a Virgin four car battery operated set, but I can't see that having the pull that Thomas has, especially when Thomas is still broadcast on various kids channels on the square babysitter.
Another mistake by the powers that be at Hornby, or is this a cost cutting exercise ?
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Snowwolflair

Probably also the licensing costs. 

I have been at two heritage railways recently talking to the powers that be who were complaining bitterly at the royalty rip off by the "Thomas" licence holder.  They reckon that all the profit and more from a "Thomas " day goes in the fee to use "Thomas" for the day, so just not worth it any more.

shame really.

Graham Walters

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 20, 2018, 02:40:16 PM
Probably also the licensing costs. 

I have been at two heritage railways recently talking to the powers that be who were complaining bitterly at the royalty rip off by the "Thomas" licence holder.  They reckon that all the profit and more from a "Thomas " day goes in the fee to use "Thomas" for the day, so just not worth it any more.

shame really.

Don't quote me on this but I think Mattel own the rights now
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Snowwolflair

Yes I think that's correct

Graham Walters

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 20, 2018, 02:55:38 PM
Yes I think that's correct
I also think Bachmann own the rights in the US< so if they pick it up for the UK, I can see and N Gauge version in some form being produced ?
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Snowwolflair

Do you think the DCC sound version will talk  :D

Graham Walters

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 20, 2018, 03:16:57 PM
Do you think the DCC sound version will talk  :D

Heaven forbids it !
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Graham Walters on April 20, 2018, 03:03:34 PM
I also think Bachmann own the rights in the US< so if they pick it up for the UK, I can see and N Gauge version in some form being produced ?

Would they want to compete with the Tomix N gauge range?

Bachmann already do Skarloey in their fairly new 009/HOe range
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

Quote from: Graham Walters on April 20, 2018, 02:48:59 PM

Don't quote me on this but I think Mattel own the rights now

'Hit Entertainment' sold the rights to 'Mattel' in 2011 (?) for $680 million  :o. That is a lot of money to recoup!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

trkilliman

I have just spent the last week in S.Devon, and visited the SDR at Buckfastleigh twice. Interested in a carriage renovation I got talking to a volunteer working on a MK1. He said it was a race against time to get it in a reasonable condition for their Thomas the Tank (TTT) special event.

He added it draws huge numbers of families and children. TTT is loved by ongoing generations of children, and one can only suppose it is a big cash generator...hence the preserved railways continue to cater for it with their TTT special events.

crewearpley40

to add info In early 2010, HIT Entertainment licensed Thomas & Friends to Mattel for toys and agreed to purchase HiT Entertainment sans Sprout from Apax Partners group in October 2011 for $680 million.

The sale/merger was completed on February 1, 2012, and HIT Entertainment became a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel. can see why hornby focussing elsewhere

glad the last user had a great time down devon. i know bucks railway centre run successful thomas weekends as do many other organisations

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations