Lytchett Manor Models / GEM closing

Started by Dr Al, March 10, 2018, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Al

Hi,

I just noted that Lytchett Manor Models (who were until now the only place to obtain old Skytrex/GEM whitemetal kits) are going to close and have already removed all the products from their website, and are taking no more orders.

This looks like the end for the old Skytrex Garratt, the L&Y 0-6-0T, and SR Z class amongst others  :'(

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

fisherman

and   the  SDJR  8f...

sad to hear!!
<o({{{<<

guest311

Quote from: fisherman on March 10, 2018, 04:15:41 PM
and   the  SDJR  8f...

sad to hear!!

luckily, there mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm over two of their kits still in my to do mountain.
I am not prepared to commit to the actual number as SWMBO may hack my account, and she does not realise the extent of these and my PG Models stock  ;)

have dealt with them for many years, and have always been impressed by their service and approach-ability.

I'd like to wish them all the best for the future.

Vanders

They were also one of the few reliable sources of wire-in-tube components.

Ian Morton

Fear not, it is only their retail operation that is closing. The website also says:

You can still obtain Lytchett Manor Models/ Gem products from the following retailers Antics, Cheltenham Model Centre, Starlight Models, Wizard Models, Model Scenary Supplies and Dundas Models.

It also invites trade enquiries from other retailers.

Dr Al

Quote from: Ian Morton on March 10, 2018, 06:36:18 PM
Fear not, it is only their retail operation that is closing. The website also says:

You can still obtain Lytchett Manor Models/ Gem products from the following retailers Antics, Cheltenham Model Centre, Starlight Models, Wizard Models, Model Scenary Supplies and Dundas Models.

I don't think this includes the most interesting thing to the N gauger - the old GEM whitemetal kits (Garratt, L+Y 0-6-0, SR Z class, and LMS 7F 2-8-0). I can find none of these listed on any of the above. That's not surprising - I'm pretty sure they were done to order.

It does pose the question - should enquiries be made as to saving that tooling to keep those kits (well those viable ones) going?

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

EtchedPixels

That may depend upon the state of the tooling. There are people who will do custom casting such as P & D Marsh so if  someone has the tooling they may be able to help.

I do wonder however if it would be a better time investment for someone to create a modern 3D cad model of those body shells for newer chassis perhaps and 3D print them. Time moves on, technology likewise.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

CarriageShed

The S&DJR 8F has been released as a Bachmann OO gauge model, hasn't it? That should mean a version in N in a few relatively short years.

I have one of the Class Z kits and it's a very nice one indeed. It would be a real shame if no one else could access the kit.

Dr Al

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 11, 2018, 12:10:30 AM
I do wonder however if it would be a better time investment for someone to create a modern 3D cad model of those body shells for newer chassis perhaps and 3D print them. Time moves on, technology likewise.

Possibly.

Having said that, things like the Z, L+Y 0-6-0, and to a lesser extent the Garratt really really benefit from the weight of a whitemetal shell, so I think in some cases (small tank locos in particular) it's still the best option.

Cheers,
Alan

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Dr Al

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 13, 2018, 05:26:13 PM
You can always print in brass

Not at all cheap, last time I looked - nowhere near competing with whitemetal kit prices! But maybe in time that will change.

Cheers,
Alan

Kernna

I have been thinking of buying one of the breakdown kits from Lytchett Manor and was horrified to see that the site had closed down.

Upon second reading of their notice, I did get a ray of hope.  I missed the text in bold and red that said "temporarily". 

So I hope that they are back soon.  :)

CarriageShed

Quote from: Kernna on April 21, 2018, 12:07:17 AM
Upon second reading of their notice, I did get a ray of hope.  I missed the text in bold and red that said "temporarily". 

You can also try contacting some of the retailers who will still be selling Lytchett Manor products, as pointed out above by Ian:

Quote from: Ian Morton on March 10, 2018, 06:36:18 PM

Les1952

We had the Starlight Models stand at our show the other week and there were certainly GEM and Lytchett Manor products on show.

I wasn't looking for the loco kits.

Les

Lytchett Manor

I would now like to put everyone's minds at rest and hopefully stop the rumour mill.

I have not closed, I have had to scale back what is produced, due to various operations that I have had and have more to come.  As with any one, health always comes first, I have also had to get over the loss of a family member which hit me hard.  So with everything that is going on all I can do is APOLOGISE for the fact that everything was removed but I am trying to get things back in to a slow production.  By all means email your order to us, I can not give an instant response if I am at one of my various appointments, but I will do my best to respond as soon as I can.
Matthew

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations