Best magazine for n gauge

Started by Paulwhitt20, January 06, 2018, 08:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulwhitt20

What monthly magazine do people think is best for British N gauge, apart from the N gauge society journal of course?

NeMo

Quote from: Paulwhitt20 on January 06, 2018, 08:31:35 PM
What monthly magazine do people think is best for British N gauge, apart from the N gauge society journal of course?

Personally I think you answered your own question there. The 'NGS Journal' is, for the £16 per year, the best value read given you're getting 5 or 6 issues a year entirely devoted to N gauge modelling.

There is 'N Gauge Now' of course; see here...

http://www.ngaugemodelling.co.uk

I don't think any of the mainstream modelling magazines are "best" for N. I tend to pick and choose whichever one looks good at the time! I will say that 'Model Railway Journal' is highly inspirational, even if it very rarely covers anything specifically 2mm scale.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

dannyboy

I like 'N Gauge Now' which is a magazine purely for 'n' gauge matters. http://www.ngaugemodelling.co.uk/
Get yourself a back copy to see if the magazine is for you.

The mainstream magazines, whilst usually giving a mention to n gauge, do refer to the other gauges, but do have articles relevant to any scale, e.g. scenery items.

Addit: Nemo just beat me!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

Quote from: NeMo on January 06, 2018, 08:55:35 PM

Personally I think you answered your own question there. The 'NGS Journal' is, for the £16 per year, the best value read given you're getting 5 or 6 issues a year entirely devoted to N gauge modelling.

Well said NeMo. :thumbsup:

Train Waiting

I think Railway Modeller is probably 'best' on balance.  It's the only monthly model railway magazine which I always buy.  The others have their moments, though, and are worth a quick look through to see if there is anything of interest.  For example, British Railway Modelling recently had a fascinating interview with Colin Heard, proprietor of Union Mills.

Quote from: NeMo on January 06, 2018, 08:55:35 PM
I will say that 'Model Railway Journal' is highly inspirational, even if it very rarely covers anything specifically 2mm scale.
Cheers, NeMo
Agreed!  It's the only one to which I subscribe.  Because of this, I have every MRJ and they are now starting to take up a fair amount of space...

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Quote from: Train Waiting on January 07, 2018, 04:03:04 PM

I think Railway Modeller is probably 'best' on balance.

I tend to agree with John, and RM is the only monthly I buy every month. Many of the NGF members layouts have appeared in the mag and the editor, Steve Flint, is a decent chap (even though when he saw me he said I looked older than he thought I was >:()
Not my fault I've had a hard life :(

silly moo

I agree with the comments above, I subscribe to Model Rail and Hornby Magazine and while it's nice to see the occasional N gauge layout I've never been bothered by the fact that there aren't lots of them in the modelling magazines, I can be inspired by good layouts in any scale.

Bealman

Quote from: newportnobby on January 07, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: Train Waiting on January 07, 2018, 04:03:04 PM

I think Railway Modeller is probably 'best' on balance.

I tend to agree with John, and RM is the only monthly I buy every month. Many of the NGF members layouts have appeared in the mag and the editor, Steve Flint, is a decent chap (even though when he saw me he said I looked older than he thought I was >:()
Not my fault I've had a hard life :(

I was there when that happened at Wigan! Thought it was hilarious  :D

Yeah, I've got a million RM mags. Got them monthly in the sixties and all through the eighties and nineties up until about 98.

These days I only get one that takes me eye.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris Morris

Do you need to subscribe to a magazine when you have this forum? I certainly spend more time reading this forum than I do magazines.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Train Waiting

I got this month's 'Railway Modeller' (February 2018) yesterday and have had an opportunity to look through it.  Clifton & Lowther is featured and there is a fascinating+++ article by Ben Ando about crowdfunding the production of a model.  This is well worth reading and I marvel at Ben and Mike's patience and persistence.  There is also a very favourable review of their Revolution Trains 'Pendolino'.

Also included is an article on scenery construction by Mick Clarke, who has had a couple of British 'N' gauge layouts featured in the magazine.

After all this, 'N-Gaugery', I ought to add that other gauges are catered for.  There is a lovely '009' layout set in Lincolnshire and a fascinating 6"x4" '00' layout based on a 1959 plan by the Rev W. Awdry.  The latter is very much in the superior table-top railway tradition (flat baseboard, (mostly) Setrack and a discrete Maurice Deane fiddle yard) and uses LB&SCR stock.  Precisely my kind of thing!

Finally, and I am now thinking that the admirable Mr Flint produced this issue for me, there is a nice W.D. Stewart drawing of a G&SWR Class 119 'Wee Bogie' 4-4-0 (this was first published in 1975) with text by Tim Rayner (who omits the ampersand!) and some interesting photographs.  Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but certainly to mine.  Now, I wonder if Revolution trains would care to produce a 'Wee Bogie'!

An excellent issue of 'Railway Modeller' (to one reader at least).  Many thanks to Mr Flint and all the contributors.

All the best.

John     
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations