Can anyone help with information on Magazines?

Started by longbridge, August 01, 2011, 10:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

I was at my mates second hand model railway shop last Saturday and bought three binders of Magazines, I think they are pretty old but they were in perfect condition, price paid was $20au or 15 quid UK.

Two white and gold binders each containing 24 editions of "History of Railways", the original cost for each magazine was 25p.

One binder containing 24 editions of "Great Trains a Sequel to History of Railways".

I am trying to find out how old they are and if I have the complete or only part of the set?.

Any help appreciated.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

BernardTPM

I'm pretty sure that's the full set (Got them upstairs!). They were issued in the early/mid 1970s (circa 73-74, I think). There's all sorts of interesting things in them. There was a 'Model & Miniature Railways' too that followed on after, 36 issues I think. Got that as well.

moogle

Early 1970's sounds about right for the price.
I have an odd few Railway Modeller magazines from then and they are similar prices.
No idea if you've all of them though. I think Bernard will know if he's got them all!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

longbridge

Thanks for your help Bernard and Moogle, I had a feeling they were about 1970s vintage, I might take a look at his books again next Saturday as he may have the 'Model & Miniature Railways' set stashed somewhere.

I actually got two sets of the "History of Railways" and thought I would put a set in my caravan to read when I am away on holidays.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations