Save our Ice Rink!

Started by Stevie DC, September 22, 2013, 12:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie DC

Hi guys,

I hope that you will be able to support our campaign to ensure that the ice rink facility in Hemel Hempstead continues to operate.

The site has been awaiting a major refurbishment for quite a while and, until recently, the plans have included the retention of the ice rink. However, last month, the site was purchased by Tesco Pension Trust and apparently the ice rink was quietly dropped from the plans. The existing tenants have now been served one months notice of eviction and the rink will cease to operate on or around 20th October this year.

As far as anyone is aware, there are no plans to open a new ice rink in the area. Despite the success of 'Dancing on Ice' the skating industry has suffered a number of blows recently with several rinks closing, often due to becoming life expired and usually without a replacement ice rink being built.

The loss of the Hemel facility is a major concern to me personally as I earn my living teaching at the rink. Between my private work and courses run on behalf of the management, I teach well over 100 skaters per week. I have just started the sad process of informing them that the rink will be closing and that an alternative rink is, in all likelihood, unavailable.

The rink also serves as an important community venue with many friendships having been formed over the years between skaters. There are presently only 55 operating ice rinks in the UK and the loss of another one would seriously impact on this sport.

Therefore an online petition has been set up (not by me) to encourage support and hopefully overturn this decision. It would be most appreciated if you could take a few moments of your time to sign it: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/dacorum-borough-council-save-our-rink

Many thanks

REGP

Hi Steve

Not sure if the link is working, I kept being told could not connect.

Ray

Stevie DC

Quote from: REGP on September 22, 2013, 12:44:37 AM
Hi Steve

Not sure if the link is working, I kept being told could not connect.

Ray

Thanks Ray, for some reason the full like did not copy over. Hopefully the one below will work!

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/dacorum-borough-council-save-our-rink

trainsdownunder

Used to have great fun at my local rink when I was back in the UK - so have signed up for you.

Best of luck  :thumbsup:

ozzie Bill.

REGP

Managed to sign petionnow Steve.

Good luck with your efforts.

Ray

mereman

I can't skate the ice is far to hard to fall on :D But I've signed
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

port perran

Only ever been on a skating rink twice in my life. And never ever let go of the edge !
However, I'm happy to have signed for you.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Terry

Fight for saving your rink, I know the feeling very well as I learned to skate when at school age. My wife skated and my two daughters both played women's ice hockey. We were avid followers of Durham Wasps for many years until rink closure so we moved onto Sunderland rink then that closed nearest rink is now Billingham 20 miles away.

Agrippa

I've been skating on thin ice for years, but I'll sign in . :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations