wagons...choices

Started by Intercity, January 02, 2018, 11:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intercity

I am about to start filling out the rolling stock library with some wagons, however I have a couple of questions first.

Farish have HAAs and HEAs, am I right in thinking both transported coal? but the HAA was for Merry Go Round service and HEAs didn't have that capability?

The MBAs are the Megabox bogie wagons, did these only operate in formations solely comprised of MBAs?

OCAs are the 31 tonne dropside wagons, are these ideal for a civil engineers train (which other wagons would be found in these consists?

as for Dapol, the silver bullets are nice but what service were they used for?

Grampus wagons are freely available, what sort of use did they see?

JNAs and IOAs are really nice looking, are these mixed in with other wagons and would I only see them on ballast workings?

I remember there were others I would see in various sidings but don't really remember the details, guessing lengths varied by work intended to be done (but what would be typical for a model layout)

I am modeling early 90s through to the 2000s with large amounts of rule one.

IC

bridgiesimon

HBA/HEA wagons were designed for shorter and domestic coal flows not power stations as you mention, some also used for calcified seaweed in Cornwall if I remember correctly!
OCAs not only engineers but for general goods as well, many used for military stuff as well, I have seen wagons like these used for landrovers etc somewhere.

Silver Bullets are for china clay slurry and mainly ran in block rkes but could be seen individually and in pairs etc in mixed freight trains as well.

Grampus are engineers wagons, used for ballast mainly.
no idea on the JNA and IOA but piccies seem to suggest formations of one wagon type, am sure others will confirm either way.

Hope this is a start.

Best wishes
Simon

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on January 02, 2018, 11:28:30 PM
Silver Bullets run up to Aberdeen with some type of slurry for the oil industry.

Drilling mud

"In geotechnical engineering, drilling fluid is used to aid the drilling of boreholes into the earth. Often used while drilling oil and natural gas wells and on exploration drilling rigs,"

bluedepot

Where is this rolling stock library?

HAA bottom discharging and done mechanically at the power station

I think some used for gypsum too

Some HEA later used for scrap metal and coded HSA

Some HEA used for gravel more recently

Tim

njee20

If you model present day (or last 10 years), which I think you do... then HEAs and to an extent HAAs are a bit out of date. More common were HTA (EWS) and HHA (Freightliner) for coal traffic, both bogie wagons.

MBAs tend to be homogeneous rakes, MOAs, the low sided versions are more mixed up. IOAs are used in homogeneous rakes, whilst JNAs are mixed, often used with MOAs.

Silver Bullets are lovely models, particularly the weathered ones.

Obvious missing ones are some Intermodal wagons, which is what dominates the WCML freight traffic. FEAs (GBRF/Freightliner), IKAs (FL/DRS/EWS), FIAs (EWS) all spring to mind. Mixed up within each operator's stock, and available from Dapol/Dapol/Farish respectively. 

Buzzard

Quote from: bluedepot on January 03, 2018, 01:53:31 AMI think some used for gypsum too

The gypsum ones that used to run on the Southern were HAA lookalikes in that

they were built to the pre-1986 Hastings line gauge
they had different discharge mechanisms and
were coded PGA

GScaleBruce

With few exceptions, you only need a brake van if the freight train is not fitted with a continuous air or vacuum brake. You're modelling early 90s to 2000s, by which time unfitted trains only operated under special permission. In simple model terms, if the train is made up of wagons with a description ending in an A, then it'll be fully air baked (a rake of HAAs,  a mixed Speedlink service of OBAs, VBAs,  etc...). If they all end in a V, then they're all vacuum braked, so again no brake van needed. If it's a mix, you'll need a brake van as the two systems are incompatible and part of the train at least wouldn't have a continuous brake operational. Brake vans were often used on engineering trains because the locomotive might be detached during engineering works with a portion of the train parked on the track. A brake van ensures that if and when the air or vacuum brake leaks off, the wagons will be held in place by the brake van.
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations