Hattons Pre-Owned - 'Like New'

Started by stevieboy, March 27, 2014, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Martin

Quote from: Giraffe on March 27, 2014, 10:17:42 PM
From a personal point of view, the used stuff makes visiting the shop more interesting - bit like the old shop.

Actually,  that might get me down there. I haven't been for a while (been spending my money on kits from the NGS) but I miss the vibe of the old shop, too.

Jim
Believe me. These things always have a logical explanation usually

Tdm

I am tempted by some of the "pre-owned" diesel locomotives Hattons currently have on offer.
However I have only ever bought new so far online - so is there a risk in buying pre-owned (described as "like new") - what is the experience of members on here who have bought used models from Hattons - good or bad?

DesertHound

Hi Tdm

Firstly, thanks for the PM the other day. Nice layout you have planned there. Well I suspect that's going to take up most of your spare time, but if you are anything like me, get a few old bangers / non-runners from the fleamarket (fleabay) and have a go at repairing them. You can build up a few spares along the way and it's a great way to gain the confidence to fix your own locos if / when they decide not to work. Admittedly, I'm challenged by one of my Duchesses and might have to revert to BR Lines, but I'm not giving up yet!

I actually find "maintaining the fleet" to be the most enjoyable part of this hobby. I know it's slightly off-topic, and not directly related to your question, but hey ho!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

richie894

No complaints from me. But I advise you move quick. I often see pre-owned locos posted on their site and then sell within 24 hours.

oreamnos

This topic is already being covered in another thread here:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20565.msg210232#msg210232

Do the Mods want to combine them before things get too duplicative?

Matt

Now merged, thank you

DesertHound

I haven't used Hattons.

Nothing against them for those of you living in the UK, or probably for most living overseas. However, I get special rates on FedEx reverse pick-up for intl. shipments and asked them if I could order items and arrange for FedEx to collect them (postage being paid my end so nothing for them to do really other than hand over the goods to FedEx - it's quicker, secure and probably cheaper for me than using snail mail).

The reply was no, since items come from two different locations, the shop and the warehouse. Hmmmmm.

The only valid reason I could understand is that a shop would want control over "lost post" in the event that they had to give a refund, but I hardly consider FedEx a Tom & Jerry outfit.

Like I said, good for you guys in the UK. I'd probably use them if I was there, but sadly they ruled themselves out for my business overseas.

Sorry, a bit  :offtopicsign:

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

kaiwhara

Quote from: Giraffe on March 27, 2014, 10:17:42 PM
Not sure if this is helpful, but Hattons do display lots of their used items in the shop so you can have a good look before purchasing ( or testing on their test track). Fully appreciate this is useless if you're not local.

I've also  noticed in recent weeks they also have supplies of used track and points.

From a personal point of view, the used stuff makes visiting the shop more interesting - bit like the old shop.

Yes, that's all very good and well when I live in New Zealand.....  :thumbsdown:
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

DELETED

Afraid to say I'm just about to send my third item back to them:

First one was a coach which didn't match the description / photo.  Actually the text was OK, the photo was wrong -I would have kept it but it turned out to be a DIY conversion, done to a very poor standard and not worth what I paid.  Item returned.

Second item was earlier this week, a MK II intercity coach, but inside the box was a MK III.  Further, one side was scratched, a buffer was broken and on that same end -the coupling was fitted upside down (dropped??) -not "Like New".  Item returned.

Third item just today -Farish Swallow HST (8127) "Like New", I know now to test as soon as I get something so the body was removed, the bogies were checked and a hair removed and then placed on my oval of Kato test track ).  Soon as power was applied, there was no movement, a flash and really quite a surprisingly large puff off smoke from the motor -dead loco.  Also, did Farish ever weather their China era HST's?  I wasn't expecting dark brown paint on the chassis (not really visible on the Hattons pic and doesn't look factory finish) and the rear bogie frame of the power car looks new because it's unpainted.  "Like New", I don't think so and I've written to say it'll be returned asap for a full refund.  Disappointed because I just got a slightly older swallow liveried one from them last week as a "non-runner" and having changed about every gear, with ones from the spares pile it now runs but it'll need sending off for someone to service proper before I can DCC it.  I thought this one today would run OK as-is.

I've had items from them before and they've been OK (rolling stock) but caveat emptor now for anything powered, I don't think they're cheap enough to take the chance.  I've had much better success through other sources (and better prices).

acko22

I wont buy any pre owned stock from hattons or rails anymore.

I have had more success on fleabay than with them at least I know what I am buying and to expect faults instead of buying "as new" to find faults.

Plus having sent items to both to sell the amount they give you and how much they them charge well the mark up is a joke
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Rabbitaway

Why, why, why are we selling at giveaway prices and buying at excessive prices from dealers???

We have eBay to get a better deal both ways

The odd time that things go wrong with eBay will be totally out weighed by the middle man

???

austinbob

Quote from: Rabbitaway on February 14, 2015, 05:13:22 PM
Why, why, why are we selling at giveaway prices and buying at excessive prices from dealers???

We have eBay to get a better deal both ways

The odd time that things go wrong with eBay will be totally out weighed by the middle man

???
I have never been an ebay fan but I'm now starting to come round to your way of thinking. I've bought a couple of things from ebay now with no problems
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

acko22

The mark up been placed on some of these items going through them is horrific.
I have a set of the C&M scotrail MK3s I was thinking of selling them and asked them for a quote bearing in mind they were 90 pound and never out of the box. They offered me 45 pound and about a month ago I spotted the same box set on the rails ebay page at 125 pound.

So anything I am selling off will always go on ebay. While I appreciate over heads to offer me 45 pound and then demand 125 pound for the same set I think is insulting. As for descriptions of items for sale well rails are better without a doubt but still at the prices they ask I would rather chance fleabay or just buy new or live without.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Roy L S

I have never bought anything via Hattons' second-hand adverts but have messaged them several times where things are described as "as new" when even from a cursory glance at the pictures it is clear they are not. I have received responses but sorry to say they have not always been very quick to change things.

The other thing I find hugely irritating is that the second-hand stuff is all mixed in with the new. Yes you can read the descriptions to differentiate I appreciate, but much better in my view that they are listed separately. I made this point to them, again a response, again empathy but no action!

Just my take.

Roy

austinbob

Quote from: Roy L S on February 14, 2015, 05:53:55 PM
The other thing I find hugely irritating is that the second-hand stuff is all mixed in with the new. Yes you can read the descriptions to differentiate I appreciate, but much better in my view that they are listed separately. I made this point to them, again a response, again empathy but no action!

Just my take.

Roy
If you look on the left hand side of the Hattons web site there is a 'Preowned' section which lists only preowned items
http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/preowned.aspx
Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see the N gauge preowned stuff - but I must say I wouldn't buy preowned stuff from Hattons.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

NeMo

I must be lucky then! I've gotten some good deals from the Hattons used stuff, such as a couple of Dapol 'Dogfish' wagons for £8 each, which I don't think is bad at all for models that really were in mint condition. (Though once I got the airbrush out, they didn't stay that way for long...  >:D) Likewise several parcels livery fish vans for £4 and a couple of Grampus wagons for £8.50. Really can't complain.

Like anything else of this sort, there are decent deals to be had if you look for them. It's not an alternative to eBay (or for that matter buying or selling via the NGF, which I've done a few times now). But when I'm having a tea-break I've always found looking at the Hattons secondhand stuff a fun way to pass a few minutes.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations