The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OwL

No worries Dave,
Regards
Dave (OwL)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

scotsoft

Quote from: oldrailbug on May 09, 2012, 02:32:31 AM
Very annoyed at the idiots that leave the pub up the road at 2am in the morning and chuck their mates on top of the hedge at the front of our place, what used to be a nice level hedge now looks like a serrated saw blade, not game enough to go out and tell them to knock it off because I would most likely get bashed up or something.

An ideal application for an electric fence  :evil:  :smiley-laughing:

Pengi

Quote from: scotsoft on May 09, 2012, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: oldrailbug on May 09, 2012, 02:32:31 AM
Very annoyed at the idiots that leave the pub up the road at 2am in the morning and chuck their mates on top of the hedge at the front of our place, what used to be a nice level hedge now looks like a serrated saw blade, not game enough to go out and tell them to knock it off because I would most likely get bashed up or something.

An ideal application for an electric fence  :evil:  :smiley-laughing:

Beware - the owner can get prosecuted if a trespasser is harmed

http://tammyswallow.hubpages.com/hub/Did-You-Know-If-a-Trespasser-Gets-Hurt-on-Your-Property-You-ARE-Liable
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

OwL

Don't worry Pendy, Dave lives in Oz, I doubt they have silly laws out there, like we have here, the likes of which protect the crooks and vandals that blight everyday life here in Britain. :(

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

scotsoft

Quote from: Pendy on May 09, 2012, 10:10:11 AM

Beware - the owner can get prosecuted if a trespasser is harmed

http://tammyswallow.hubpages.com/hub/Did-You-Know-If-a-Trespasser-Gets-Hurt-on-Your-Property-You-ARE-Liable

In that case a warning sign with "WARNING - Hedge Infested with Funnel Web Spiders" could be the cheapest solution  ;)

fisherman

some   kids  are  just  SO  weird!!!!
<o({{{<<

longbridge

Quote from: OwL729 on May 09, 2012, 10:33:59 AM
Don't worry Pendy, Dave lives in Oz, I doubt they have silly laws out there, like we have here, the likes of which protect the crooks and vandals that blight everyday life here in Britain. :(

I wish that were true, here in Oz you can get off with a good behavior bond for robbery, 4 years for murder but for not paying a parking fine and you get locked up for 3 months, work that one out ??? ??? ???
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Mustermark

Quote from: oldrailbug on May 09, 2012, 12:55:05 PM

I wish that were true, here in Oz you can get off with a good behavior bond for robbery, 4 years for murder but for not paying a parking fine and you get locked up for 3 months, work that one out ??? ??? ???

That means you are better off burgling someone to pay you sodding parking fine!  That's nuts!!! :o

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

tgv_obsessed

Quote from: Mustermark on May 09, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: oldrailbug on May 09, 2012, 12:55:05 PM

That means you are better off burgling someone to pay you sodding parking fine!  That's nuts!!! :o

risking to sound all woolly liberal about this, but its because the judges in most serious criminal cases have some discretion about sentencing and therefore sentence according to the defendant. If you give senior legal people discretion, they will use it.

Parking offences v serious crimes etc are used as examples because one is very easily measurable and has a fixed penalty, the other on the other hand can have variable circumstances

and no i'm not saying its right that you have more chance with the courts if you murder your wife and children than if you park 5 minutes over the allotted time.

a parking offence should never be custodial, the fact that it appears to be in australia is because (as here in the uk) we are moving towards mandatory sentences dictated by government in order to appear "tough on crime"

the side effect this kind of knee jerk policy of being tough on crime is that very minor offences are treated harshly, but serious crime, because it is serious still affords discretion on the part of the courts and "experts", isnt usually subject to the same tinkering from the home affairs departments of governments.

running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Fratton

>:( >:( >:( So not happy >:( >:( >:(

i have always ordered my paper and card off one firm via ebay, alas i cant find anything for sale by that seller (gone out of business perhaps)

so i ordered from a new supplier and not only have i had to wait the best part of a week due to the bank holiday i have recieved them only to find that instead of 120 sheets of printed label 1 label per sheet i have been sent 120 units of 21 labels per sheet that are pretty much useless to me,,,,,

already contacted the seller but i can see this dragging way too near the two week mark for my liking!!!!!!!
Charlie.

EtchedPixels

Plenty of those - minor drugs offences score higher than kicking old laidies down stairs, and woe betide anyone copy a music track on the internet.. thats up there with the really serious stuff.

All quite mad and all driven by the special interest groups who own our government. Some of them like the copyright lobby in ways that IMHO make Murdoch look like a distant pen friend

.. Fume...

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tgv_obsessed

"pear cider"

there's a perfectly good word for perry
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on March 29, 2011, 10:04:22 PM
That equates to £12.50 per head. Had I known this, I would have taken £50.00 and gone down to the local supermarket and grabbed enough food to more than cater for the numbers - and appetites - involved. I know it's not my money, and that my company has made a several hundred million dollar profit in the past financial year, but some people really take the wee-wee.

We actually did that for a conference in Swansea. The organizer went down to some of the local Indian restuarants and take aways (having got a list of acceptable ones fro locals) and said "I've got 400 quid, I need this much food for lunch delivered here, are you interested".  Got takers easily and one of the small family ones closed the restuarant for that otherwise quite afternooon, got a great deal from their viewpoint and we got great food.

One thing I learned rapidly for all business stuff is to demand actual pricing in advance. Actually for several of the companies I worked for that was policy because the accountants were tight fisted (and much as they annoyed me the business in question did stay in business in downturns!)

Business air travel is another great rip off. Changing someone 150 quid for an extra seat inch and a less nasty plastic meal.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EddieA

Quote from: tcinbg on May 08, 2012, 04:48:22 PM
hairygit -

I guess your landlord is paying tax on in rental income, isn't he?

Had something along these lines a couple of years ago. A local 'cowboy builder' was knocking on doors in my street offering to do 'urgent repairs on roofs etc he had somehow noticed from the road'. He ripped off my next door neighbours for what started off as simple repair of roughcast on a disused chimney to taking the entire chimney down and patching the roof where it had come through. Several thousand evidently changed hands (in cash!)

My garden wall was needing the roughcast replaced and he cold called and quoted me what I knew was a stupid price (cash in hand before he job started) as he couldn't have even bought the materials for that. After a couple of further visits I told him that I had had other quotes (true, more expensive but from kosha companies) and that my brother-in-law, who is handy with building work as a 'hobby',  also thought that his quote seemed too cheap.
'So, is your brother in law a builder then?' was the sarcy response.
'No, he works for Customs and Revenue but knows a bit about building...' (again true)
Exit stage right with white face not to be seen again around here. Not sure if the disappearance was due to any activity by C&R...   

Perhaps a quick phone call to the Inland Revenue might be worth while???

"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations