Replacement Farish Class 158/170 pickups

Started by davecttr, August 17, 2018, 01:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecttr

I have some Farish class 158/170 DMU (later versions with drive shafts) that were converted to radio control/battery power. Now I model in 00 scale the receivers have been removed and re-used. I want to convert the DMU's back to DC operation. The problem is I can't find the original power pickup/wiper assemblies (I am Olympic standard at losing stuff). I can't find any source online for replacement pickups. I need at least 6 pairs. Can anyone help?

koyli55002

BR Lines have them, I believe - item GF0011

davecttr

I checked with BR Lines and they can't help. My 3 x Class 158's , Class 43 and Class 90 are Chinese production with split chassis, drive shafts and no PCB or lights. BRlines only have Poole production

So I have 3 DMU's, a loco and a HST that are not repairable. What fun

ntpntpntp

Get some phosphor bronze strip and make your own pickups?

This kind of thing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-1220-1-16-Thou-Phosphor-Bronze-Pickup-Strip-Strip-10-x-6-1S-tPost-/361066434910

I have a few strips, they have come in handy over the years
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

koyli55002

My mistake - I thought you meant the ones on the bogies

davecttr

Here is the reply. do you think it actually means the Poole ones will fit and I have misread it?

Only Poole type - all shown on my website post and packing is £3.40

Regards, Bob Russell

koyli55002

Can you post a picture of the chassis you have ?

koyli55002

Would 371-158DB on the BR Lines website do the job ? Pricey, though.....

davecttr

Yes it would but at £40 for a pair including postage I would be spending that £40 so I could sell them second hand for £35!

As spare pickups are not available the DMU's are essentially just sources of spare parts

The same applies to my Class 43 HST and Class 90, sell them for spares. This is irritating as I have a complete 8 coach plus power cars HST that i wanted to sell as a complete unit

Dr Al

Use the Poole type ones and simply solder on extended wipers to contact the sides of the chassis block in a Chinese chassis. These extended wipers are the only difference between the Poole and Chinese versions of these designs.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

davecttr

Ah! really!

I will order some from BRLines and give it a go

thanks

koyli55002

And THAT is why I haunt this forum, gents and ladies. Nice one, Doctor Al !  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations