!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Track cleaning - Is IPA less than ideal?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Track cleaning - Is IPA less than ideal?
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2018, 09:09:48 pm »
I am sure that I have said this before, but I will repeat that I have used IPA to clean my Peco track and to clean the backs of wheels and pickups on loco's for 14 years now and have yet to notice any deterioration in either. applied with a lint free cloth it works wonders for smooth running, coupled with a track rubber sold by the double o gauge association which contains no abrasive, only polish, and on its own works better than any other track rubber that I have tried (usual disclaimer), but following up with IPA creates a level of cleanliness that lasts for quite a while.

hope this helps,

Alex

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2018, 11:46:12 pm »
...  a track rubber sold by the double o gauge association which contains no abrasive, only polish...
Alex
DUH! :smiley-laughing:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2018, 12:04:30 am »
I use a bath rubber followed up with IPA. The bath rubber doesn't scratch the rail and leaves it nice and shinny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cramer-S200-Bath-Rubber/dp/B005HMMJUU

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2018, 03:29:03 pm »
Just a quick update on my testing of the CRC QD Contact Cleaner for any evidence of damage to plastic part when used to clean track and wheels.

Rather than mess about doing the actual cleaning method referred to in a previous post, I decided to simply drop a few plastic parts into a plastic container, spray in some of the cleaner and pop the top on for a few days. IMO, although a harsh test, in comparison to the tutorial, it should give us some fairly quick conclusions.
I placed a small section of Peco flexi-track sleepers, a sleeper from a piece of set track, an old Farish diesel drive wheel with plastic gear attached and an axle with plastic wheels from an old Trix passenger carriage. See the attached pictures of the small container with the parts inside.

She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:05 pm »
The railway modeller’s equivalent of tequila? :no:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:19 pm »
Shouldn't there be a worm in there too?  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2018, 05:51:30 pm »
Shouldn't there be a worm in there too?  :D
Yeah that would tell us how it reacts to brass  ;D

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
A painted piece of plastic might also help as we could see if it's good for stripping paint jobs off coaches etc :hmmm:

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:39 pm »
A painted piece of plastic might also help as we could see if it's good for stripping paint jobs off coaches etc :hmmm:

This does not claim to be a paint remover but to oblige I have dropped into the container an acrylic painted figure.
Incidentally, the items have been in for over 24 hours and to the naked eye do not seem to show any signs of damage. Will only know for sure when I lift them out.

IMO This is what you want for acrylic paint removal from plastic models:-

https://www.vms-supplies.com/pro-technicals-picker

Last item on the link page - VMS Clean Slate rmvr 2.0

If you click on picture it tells you all about it and there is a video of the process.
Check it out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:38:41 pm by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2018, 11:18:00 pm »
Found this link in MRH and it does seem that IPA is less than ideal for cleaning track.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31348?page=3#comment-305058

Some interesting stuff about polar vs non-polar solvents. Seems white spirit should do a longer lasting job as long as its kept away from plastic and given longer to dry. Delboy may be onto something with the contact cleaner.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:01 am »
I referenced this MRH article on page 3 of this thread and managed to attract a bit of stick about it. Mind you the concern of posters was that IPA leaves residue which I agree it won't unless it has dissolved some dirt.

I've just had a further Google at this business of polar vs non-polar solvents. A number of what seem to reputable sources claim that non polar solvents are good for dissolving and cleaning up non polar substances and polar solvents perform best with polar substances. The interesting thing for us and track cleaning is that oil and grease are non polar so that the likes of IPA should not be optimal for cleaning these substances off rails.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knows what they're talking about on this subject (unlike me  :dunce:).

Webbo

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2018, 11:52:48 pm »
I referenced this MRH article on page 3 of this thread and managed to attract a bit of stick about it. Mind you the concern of posters was that IPA leaves residue which I agree it won't unless it has dissolved some dirt.

I've just had a further Google at this business of polar vs non-polar solvents. A number of what seem to reputable sources claim that non polar solvents are good for dissolving and cleaning up non polar substances and polar solvents perform best with polar substances. The interesting thing for us and track cleaning is that oil and grease are non polar so that the likes of IPA should not be optimal for cleaning these substances off rails.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knows what they're talking about on this subject (unlike me  :dunce:).

Webbo

I would refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave previously

Regards,

Alex

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2018, 12:06:51 am »
Thanks Alex
Yes I saw your post, but my question is not answered there.
Webbo

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here