Eugene Cernan

Started by Bealman, January 17, 2017, 10:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Last human being to walk on the moon, December 1972.

In his words, "We were just getting good at it."

I have his autographed autobiography here and it's a great read for modellers who may have a pioneering attitude.

Cernan admits in his book that he made a thoughtful speech as his foot left the surface, but the last words spoken on the moon to date were (as they hit the ignition):

"OK, Jack, let's get this mutha outta here"

A really cool guy. RIP.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

I'm glad and fortunate that as a child I had Capt Eugene Cernan and his peers to inspire me and fuel my dreams.

Nick

I count myself exceedingly fortunate to have met four of the moonwalkers and three of the non-landing "lunarnauts". Truly special people. Sadly, they didn't include Gene Cernan.

It seems unbelievable that they are all now slipping away from us before anyone has returned.

Someone (it might have been Cernan) said that Kennedy lifted a decade out of the twenty-first century and put it down into the twentieth.

About the only benefit of being old and crinkly is that I was around  to see it happen!

RIP.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Bealman

He did indeed write that in his memoirs, Nick. For those interested, it's The Last Man on the Moon, by Eugene Cernan with Don Davis, St. Martin's Press New York, 1999.

It's a great read.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations