Did anyone else watch "The Reassembler"

Started by Graham Walters, December 29, 2016, 09:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Quote from: Crooked Spire on December 29, 2016, 04:49:05 PM
It took him 7 hours 42 minutes to reassemble. So if they had shown the whole process it wouldn't have finished till 2:45 am in the morning

As with the previous series of this I thought the programme was excellent and very enjoyable to watch.

Next week it's a Food Mixer.

I'd have stayed up late to watch that Colin. Don't think I would for a magimix though! :sleep:

Drakken

I'd have stayed up to watch it too but realistically it was a taste of the hobby very interesting to watch and not boring to me anyways

RailGooner

At the turn of the century, Mark Evans (ex veterinary surgeon) presented the 15 part series A Car Is Born for Discovery. In the show he built an AC Cobra replica kit car. The show covered virtually every nut and bolt of the assembly. Further series would see him birth another 3 cars, 3 motorbikes, a plane, and even a helicopter! Unfortunately he never got around to birthing a train.

As an engineer, I found them highly entertaining. MBH would cite such viewing as one reason why I was still single when we found each other.

While I can't see Discovery producing/commissioning similar strip-down/build-up shows again - YouTube seems to have cornered that niche - they do rerun the originals often. Meanwhile, Mark Evans seems to have returned to his former career in part and can oft be seen stripping down large animals to constituent parts.  :o So if you ever wondered how a whale works...  :goggleeyes:

Drakken

Here we go, Another slamming coming my way. I did enjoy the AC Cobra Build but I preferred the Jag E Type something about stripping and rebuilding appeals to me more than just a simple build. I wonder if he still has any of the projects he's build over the years?

I totally agree BBC Youtube maybe for a small series?

All I can say surely that's quite a lot of blubber :doh: lol

RailGooner

Let them slam!  :D I saw the Cobra, 4x4, plane, and helicopter. I don't know if Mark kept any of the builds, but I do know the plane was CAA registered (G-OIZI) but never flew.

Drakken

That's a real shame if it never flew I would of expected some use after all the effort Mark put into it. A real shame :(

RailGooner

I would expect that the production company bought and owned the kit. I wouldn't be surprised if the production company didn't even bother to recoup some investment by selling the finished build. I read once that the complete set for Robot Wars was discovered under dusty tarps at the back of a warehouse!

Drakken

I find it amazing that something a lot of people would have loved to own back when it was popular now seems to be forgotten about and left. May'be a comeback is on the cards ;)

RailGooner

MBH worked in TV before we met. She's rightly proud of her work and talks fondly of the times. I see a lot of waste and financial incompetence in TV production, but better hold my tongue on that one.  :-X

daffy

Quote from: RailGooner on December 29, 2016, 05:44:57 PM
Let them slam!  :D I saw the Cobra, 4x4, plane, and helicopter. I don't know if Mark kept any of the builds, but I do know the plane was CAA registered (G-OIZI) but never flew.

The plane was also registered as G-KIRB, the CAA record is here:
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=KIRB

It has the same Construction Number as G-OIZI,    PFA 247-13615, and the owner is in the town of my birth.

As to whether the other reg ever flew remains unknown, by me at least.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Drakken

Working in TV must be a really good job, Never the same day twice in guessing depending on your Mrs role. Always nice to hear the other half positively talking about past times  :beers:

@RailGooner it's amazing what you can find out at your finger tips

@daffy We have an aviation fan ;)

RailGooner

Quote from: daffy on December 29, 2016, 06:18:48 PM
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=KIRB

It has the same Construction Number as G-OIZI,    PFA 247-13615, and the owner is in the town of my birth.

Do you ever go back @daffy ? Any chance you could report on the size of Mr Handford's shed?  :D

daffy

Quote from: RailGooner on December 29, 2016, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: daffy on December 29, 2016, 06:18:48 PM

Do you ever go back @daffy ? Any chance you could report on the size of Mr Handford's shed?  :D
He lives, or lived, less than half a mile from where I was living just over three years ago. There is no shed on his housing estate property large enough to hold a plane on the aerial map I'm looking at, but Sywell Aerodrome (home of The Blades Aerobatic Team amongst others) is a few miles up the road, so if he still has it i suspect that's where it will be.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Quote from: Drakken on December 29, 2016, 06:22:39 PM
Working in TV must be a really good job, Never the same day twice in guessing depending on your Mrs role. Always nice to hear the other half positively talking about past times  :beers:

Yes, we can each make the other laugh with our reminiscences.

Quote from: Drakken on December 29, 2016, 06:22:39 PM
@RailGooner it's amazing what you can find out at your finger tips

@daffy We have an aviation fan ;)

Mea culpa  :-[ 1/72 kits of Spitfires as a schoolboy became 12" to the foot Phantoms as a man (well OK, still a boy since I joined the RAF at 16). And while I'm confessing, I might as well fess up that I've spent a few hours today searching for detailing etches for my (many) 1/144 VC-10s.  :-[

GroupC

It's all gone well off topic.

Back with Mr May, I enjoyed his programme a lot and will be watching the rest of the series - perhaps not as avidly for the food mixer I must admit, but watching nevertheless. Next one after the food mixer is a mini motorcycle.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations