Farish V2 the lost loco

Started by Rabbitaway, April 25, 2017, 10:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabbitaway

Hi all

Running a few of my steam locos the other I dug out my black V2 for its first run in about a year

Just thinking that you do not see V2's very on layouts these days

The first Bachmann all new steam loco before they moved to tender drives

PennineWagons

Yes, they only ever did one production run of the V2s so far as I'm aware. Green Arrow in BR late crest green, an un-named one in BR early crest lined black, and Coldstreamer in LNER green. The black one was also included in a set with some crimson & cream Mk1s. They got a bit of a mixed reception as I recall, with the unprototypical boiler skirt putting a lot of people off, although apart from that the detail and decoration seemed pretty good. Poor haulage was also an issue with some. So overall not a great commercial success for the early days of BachFar, and presumably we're not very likely to ever see any further production, in this version at any rate.
But hey, my own V2 runs quite happily round the loft with eight coaches in tow, and it looks fine to me in its LNER apple green.
PW

Rabbitaway

Agreed not perfect but better than the recycled Poole locos

As for haulage, yes a bit weak but seems to be going that way again based on feedback on the new Castle class

Snowwolflair

Reliability of a Hilman Imp  :D

Snowwolflair

Sorry most of you are not old enough to know what a Hilman Imp was so substitute Trabant  8)

longbow

I doubt anyone much under 40 will get the Trabant reference either - nor indeed the concept of cars being hopelessly unreliable.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: longbow on April 25, 2017, 11:20:48 PM
I doubt anyone much under 40 will get the Trabant reference either - nor indeed the concept of cars being hopelessly unreliable.

Its sad to get old  :( unless you have had a hell of a wild life  :smiley-laughing: :bounce: :beers:

Portpatrick

I had a BR black one as soon as they appeared.  Yes as a Poole initial design but only produced in China it has the skirt under the boiler.  But a well detailed plastic body.  The use of plastic explains the relative lack of pulling power.  My surviving Poole black 5s, Crabs etc etc with crude diecast bodies pull appropriate length trains with no tyres and no problem.  My V2 is good for 6 Farish coaches or a 14 wagon fish train on the club layout's 10.5 inch small radius.  The Dapol Gresleys seem a bit heavier and she slips on the curves with 6 on.   I use it on the Newcastle boat train (4 or 5 coaches) most days Portpatrick Town is out on show.  Overal I have been very happy with it.

Portpatrick

I remember the Imp coming out.  Same year as Dr Who starting and an American politician being murdered.  Later, c 1976, my line manager owned one.  Saw a few Trabants in Slovakia and Czech republic while on holiday c 10 years ago.  If I put my m,ind to it I  could name a number of white elephants,  e.g. the Allegro.

Newportnobby

Quote from: PennineWagons on April 25, 2017, 10:21:54 PM
The black one was also included in a set with some crimson & cream Mk1s. They got a bit of a mixed reception as I recall, with the unprototypical boiler skirt putting a lot of people off, although apart from that the detail and decoration seemed pretty good. Poor haulage was also an issue with some.

I've always thought the V2 to be a very attractive mixed traffic loco but I wanted a black one so bought the set (The Master Cutler). It runs very well and hauls everything I need it to. Shame about the solid driving wheels (as opposed to see through). I reckon it would be a good seller should Farish ever decide to re-tool it to modern day standards :hmmm:

Byegad

I bought one (Black) and it looks OK by the older standards it was built to. Haulage is comparable to the A3, Merry Hampton, and A4, Silver Fox, that I bought at the same time and enough to haul a reasonable load on the flat.

paulprice

I gave my green one a spot of weathering and for an LNER loco it looks ok plodding round on Foster Street, if I could find another at the right price I would repaint into LNER black, just for the challenge of course :)

oscar

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 25, 2017, 10:39:36 PM
Sorry most of you are not old enough to know what a Hilman Imp was so substitute Trabant  8)

Now come on! At least the Imp was made of tin, not cardboard!  :hmmm:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: oscar on April 26, 2017, 10:09:26 AM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 25, 2017, 10:39:36 PM

Now come on! At least the Imp was made of tin, not cardboard!  :hmmm:

Yes, when they crashed there would be a cloud of rust dust.

oscar

Or a back wheel and hub would fall off...... :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations