Returning to N-gauge modelling

Started by 37214, April 15, 2017, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello All,

I have recently been clearing my loft and found a few boxes with my old N-gauge models, mostly old Poole Farish Class 37's with 5 pole motors that I repainted and detailed but also a couple of Class 60 resin kits half built, a CJM Class 26 complete and a BNIB 26 kit with a donor Class 33 chassis.

In another box, a set of Farish Mark 2 coaches with inlays that I have either converted to Regional Railways coaches or they are in the process of being done.

Most of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day for around 20 years but I am keen to get back into the hobby. From what I have been reading recently, things have moved on! Will I be able to run these old models on a suitable layout or should I consider buying new chassis for them if they are available?

ntpntpntp

My initial reaction is to query what it is you think won't work any more?   Of course you can still run models from 20-30 years ago.

You may find they look and run a little more crudely compared to the most recent models, but if they still work fine then why not continue to run them?  Wheel flanges may be deeper but will still run fine on (say) Peco track.

If the locos have been in store along time there is the slight risk of split gears, which typically manifests as a clicking noise and jerky running - they may totally lock up in the worst case.     However, there are replacement gears available in many cases.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Hi 37214, and welcome to the forum :wave:
As Nick has said, unless gears have split all should be OK. They may be a bit noisier than current models and may give a problem if running them through Kato #4 points owing to the large flanges.
Bottom line, if you don't have the wherewithall to run them yourself, I would say take them to your nearest model railway club and get someone to run them for you, or visit a nearby show and do the same.

Bealman

G'day from Australia, 37214, and welcome to the NGF! :thumbsup:

Don't worry, mate, the majority of my models are about the same vintage.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

And they'll probably still be going long after the newer models croak. Which is sometimes as soon as you get them home!!!  :doh: :'( :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 15, 2017, 10:07:57 PM
My initial reaction is to query what it is you think won't work any more?   Of course you can still run models from 20-30 years ago.

I didn't know if time would have deteriorated anything, from all the replies, gears may have split but as you say, replacements are available. I think my main concern was if the 5 pole motors would still be in working order or if they would somehow disintegrate after 20 years of storage.

Thank you for the replies, I'll be looking up on how to service my locos and getting back to the re-painting.

ntpntpntp

Nope, motors don't just disintegrate in storage, if they were working fine when last used then they'll still be fine.   Fire 'em up and see!

The mechanisms *may* need a light lubrication, but this must be only the tiniest of drops on the end of a pin, applied to gearing and axles. If the motor makes a screeching noise then the bearings may also need a tiny drop of lube, but otherwise it's best to avoid over-oiling (in my days as an exhibition "loco doctor" I saw far more problems with over-oiling than under-).
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

scottishlocos

Hey

Welcome back plenty 37's a 26 and Regional coaches ticking all the boxes there
Good luck

Dave

Roy L S

Quote from: austinbob on April 16, 2017, 09:52:00 AM
And they'll probably still be going long after the newer models croak. Which is sometimes as soon as you get them home!!!  :doh: :'( :beers:

New stuff will still be going fine in years to come.

There is a danger of looking back through rose coloured spectacles. Enough of the old Poole produced models I owned had their own problems and I have a set of small drawers full of bits as evidence!

Regards

Roy

davidinyork

Quote from: Roy L S on April 16, 2017, 11:20:09 AM

Well, some of it will! The issue is that there is simply more to go wrong - the older models just have a motor and about all that can happen is that fails, or the gears split. With the newer ones there are circuit boards and lighting to go wrong too.

Bealman

Let's not let this degenerate into an argument about new and old models, please. I think the OP's original query has been addressed, and he is quite obviously aware of issues like split gears and over oiling.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Anecdotal evidence warning: I'm a relative N gauge newbie, having only discovered it a couple of years back, but the wonders of modern technology have made it possible to randomly acquire substantial amounts of second hand stock at decent prices, some of it quite old but (known defects excepting), all perfectly serviceable. Some of that, I have good reason to believe, has been sitting in storage for a decade or two, in general nothing wrong it which a little wheel/contact cleaning and (ultra-conservative) lubrication and running-in hasn't solved. Fundamentally there's nothing which will cause your locomotive not to function; as mentioned split gears could be an issue, and you may want to check for affects of any damp/humidity.

Quote from: scottishlocos on April 16, 2017, 11:13:08 AM
Hey

Welcome back plenty 37's a 26 and Regional coaches ticking all the boxes there
Good luck

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I never got round to actually building a layout all those years ago before children arrived but I imagined that it would be a fictitious location somewhere in the north of England near the Scottish Borders. I have about 8 x 37's, 2 x 26's, 2x 60's, 4 x Lima 86's that have undergone a repaint or are mid-conversion and a 158. I'd like to add a Class 90, a 91 and a HST set all in Intercity livery. Rolling stock consists of Regional Railways Mk2's and Intercity Mk3's, everything 2nd hand picked up at shows and toy fairs. I also have some engineer wagons for one of the 26's and about 20 N-gauge society kits to build. Keep me going on rainy days once I retire.

Chris Morris

Quote from: austinbob on April 16, 2017, 09:52:00 AM

There is a danger of looking back through rose coloured spectacles. Enough of the old Poole produced models I owned had their own problems and I have a set of small drawers full of bits as evidence!

Regards

Roy

Quote from: davidinyork on April 16, 2017, 11:22:52 AM

Totally agree. The current stuff should work fine for many years. Almost all my stock was made in the last four years and has coped with hard days at a number of exhibitions with no major drama. The Dapol steamies often need a bit of TLC but look great and run well if looked after.
If circuit boards  go they can be bypassed to keep the motor working . I blew one by putting too much current through and had to do just that.
I only have two old Farish locos. One of these was a hopeless runner so I put a Tomytec chassis in.
All locos, no matter what age, tend to be a bit lumpy if they haven't been used for a while. As has been said, a very light oiling and gentle running with no load for a short while should be all that is needed to get them running smoothly.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

N Scale Newbie

last time I had N gauge was back in the 1970s with a GWR pannier tank and a Black five that kept derailing on the bends so I swapped them for 00. Big mistake but 2 months ago had the chance to buy a pre loved layout with 2 locos. A Jinty with a split gear and a 08 disiesle shunter ( In the words of Thomas the tank). A 4x2 board and nothing else. But oh boy am I happy the 08 runs well and I have been building blocks of terraced houses curtiousy  of Wordsworh model railways free downloads. So to the other newbies like myself I say enjoy the experience and go with the flow. I am.
Ken
Happy but permanently confused with wiring diagrams due to cardio vascular damage. I used to have a brain but now have Reagans walnut.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations