Fictitious Locomotives?

Started by Jollybob, February 13, 2016, 11:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Those old Triang 0-4-0 locos from the 1960s would have to be strong contenders - "Nellie," "Connie" and the yellow 0-4-0 Transcontinental shunter repainted with "Dock Shunter" on the side.

In fact all of Triang's Transcontinental series, when I think about it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

BobB

I was thinking of a class 68 in BR corporate blue with full yellow ends following the contour up and around the cab's side windows. Ordinary size number and indecisive arrows should make it look good - it's about the only modern loco that is an interesting shape IMHO !

Jollybob

Quote from: Zwilnik on February 13, 2016, 10:18:58 PM
I did manage to find a photo once of an industrial 0-6-0 that looked remarkably similar to the Farish general purpose tank engine. According to the caption it was being moved temporarily to the Tanfield Railway near Newcastle. I've not been able to find the photo since though.

Generally speaking though, when it comes to industrial locomotives, there's pretty much a prototype for everything :)

I completely agree with this last bit. If it perfectly exceptable in an industrial setting why can't it be done on the main line.

I've always been tempted to do something a bit like what Yeoman did before privatization and have my own locomotives pulling wagons on the main line.
Even if its just repainting a loco into something imaginative.

zwilnik

Quote from: Jollybob on February 14, 2016, 01:35:12 PM
Quote from: Zwilnik on February 13, 2016, 10:18:58 PM
I did manage to find a photo once of an industrial 0-6-0 that looked remarkably similar to the Farish general purpose tank engine. According to the caption it was being moved temporarily to the Tanfield Railway near Newcastle. I've not been able to find the photo since though.

Generally speaking though, when it comes to industrial locomotives, there's pretty much a prototype for everything :)

I completely agree with this last bit. If it perfectly exceptable in an industrial setting why can't it be done on the main line.

I've always been tempted to do something a bit like what Yeoman did before privatization and have my own locomotives pulling wagons on the main line.
Even if its just repainting a loco into something imaginative.

Yup, given some of the locomotives that have been pulled back into action as temporary hires etc. It may be a case that a particular locomotive hasn't been seen on the main line in that livery *yet* but may easily do at some point in the near future.

railsquid

I like to imagine what would have happened had a resurgent British Railways PLC taken advantage of EU deregulation and expanded onto the continent.

Jack

For those whose like to let their imagination run a little wild and haven't come across this site before....

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/index.php?sort=Aclass&liv=&class=&group=&coll=

Some of the steamers in modern day liveries go well together. I've always fancied a 'Shed' in RfD tripe grey with Diamonds.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

BramptonBranch

Scale wise is the Lima centre cab any good? used as an industrial loco maybe.

I know its nothing like a Clayton!
You can never have to many Warships!

sparky

I thought this was a thread about the dapol class 33......been in "decoration" for years it seems and appears to a fictional loco of some sort.......

railsquid

Quote from: BramptonBranch on February 14, 2016, 04:04:28 PM
Scale wise is the Lima centre cab any good? used as an industrial loco maybe.

I know its nothing like a Clayton!
It does actually seem to be in scale (1:160 of course), I placed it next to an equivalent Fleischmann version and didn't notice any glaring differences in size.

Of course if you want to run it, it's mechanism is presumably modelled on that of a Clayton ;). In my opinion, unless you like collecting odd stuff (like me), the old Fleischmann model is much better value for money.

Jollybob

One thing I've noticed with Japanese loco's is a lot of them are of different gauges (I'm not entirely sure what the gauges are),  but the models are adapted so they all run on standard gauge track. You can start making your own models by converting a narrow gauge loco or broad gauge locos and with a few adjustment's, run them on your layout. (The first thing that sprung to my mind was Irish locomotives).

Dorsetmike

Further to my earlier ruminations I'm going to experiment play with the idea of the Maunsell 2-6-2; I have a V2 coming and will trial fit a few bodies that should be hackable. Having previously hacked a Peco Jubilee into a Lord Nelson that could be a starting point, or maybe a Langley S15 or BHE N15 as that would make it look more like the Arthur "family". My initial thoughts go toward the Nelson look, as mentions of the proposed 2-6-2 come after the development of the Nelson, in fact some trials were carried out on Nelsons to aid decisions on the 2-6-2 and the later 4-6-2, namely the use of 6'3" wheels on 859, Lord Hood, and a larger round topped boiler on 857, Lord Howe.

Last night in bed my brain was hunting for suitable names for a "new" class being introduced in the 1930s, just about everything I thought of seemed to be too close to existing names, example cities or cathedrals, many of the names would be taken by the Schools class, Winchester, Westminster, Canterbury etc, Rivers had already been done, headlands - Marsh Atlantics, so it went on. Finally I thought I don't recall any named for composers (British ones) so how about Henry Purcell, Edward Elgar, Arthur Sullivan among others, should be able to think of enough names for a class of 10 or more - not that I intend making 10, just need enough names for any inquisitive types or others who want a fictitious 2-6-2 SR loco.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Jollybob

I love the idea, like myself I've always been tempted to make a GWR 2-6-0 tank engine by modifying a 56xx kit and making it resemble a class 42xx. In theory it should go around tight bends quite well....

Les1952

Quote from: Jollybob on February 13, 2016, 05:24:03 PM
Some interesting Ideas.
I'm taking a big leap and decided that I wanted to build a private railway like a hospital railway or colliery or something like that (haven't quite made up my mind yet). Anyway, I wanted something different so I effectively took a Japanese Bandai loco, stuck buffers on it and painted it a different colour.

[smg id=35405 type=preview align=center caption="IMAG0689"]

I do apologize about the poor light in my picture.

Rob.

Very like some of the Bo-Bo designs for UK Industrials.  Move the pantograph onto one bonnet and you have a passable Harton system No. 11 or 12.  Light green livery or white livery with orange angled striping..

Les

N-Gauge-US

I'm so excited that I'm not the only one who has had this idea! I have a couple of different projects I would like to do.

One is for my fictional heritage railway, which I have been working on a fictional pre-grouping Light Railway for and I think a unique 'Preserved' locomotive to accompany the EtchedPixels coaches that will go with it would be quite nice :)

Another is for a fantasy world which I work on (write about is a bit of a stretch...). One of then stories I play around with in my world is set in the early steam era (think C. 1875 for a comparison) and I would love to model a small scene from my world one day, but that would require custom coaches and a custom locomotive!

I'm very excited to see the other projects you all start. @Dorsetmike , your project sounds great!  Exactly the sort of thing I see you doing brilliantly :) And British Composers is a fine choice; although if they did more than a small run then you might have to recruit British painters as a bonus :) (I've noticed many classes soon outgrew the available namesakes and were forced to add other themes to the names. It would add a hint of realism to the engine's build history.)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Jollybob

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on February 15, 2016, 11:08:14 PM
I'm so excited that I'm not the only one who has had this idea! I have a couple of different projects I would like to do.

One is for my fictional heritage railway, which I have been working on a fictional pre-grouping Light Railway for and I think a unique 'Preserved' locomotive to accompany the EtchedPixels coaches that will go with it would be quite nice :)

Another is for a fantasy world which I work on (write about is a bit of a stretch...). One of then stories I play around with in my world is set in the early steam era (think C. 1875 for a comparison) and I would love to model a small scene from my world one day, but that would require custom coaches and a custom locomotive!

Steampunk I believe that is; Victorian science fiction where everything is steam powered, or primitive. Very classy and very cool, I have thought about doing something similar but afraid my modelling techniques have not yet fully developed yet.

Maybe it would be a good suggestion for an area on this forum specifically for fictional creations, everything from made up locomotives, rolling stock and company designs to industrial buildings, stations and mad ideas?   :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations