Farish / Dapol Collectors clubs ?

Started by Westbury, April 01, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westbury

Both Graham Farish and Dapol run collectors clubs are any of them worth joining ?

Anyone members of either to comment on the quality of what you get, magazines, collectables etc ?

Cheers...

ChrisWV10

I'm in the Bachmann Collectors club and I think you do get your money's worth from membership.

A quarterly mag, members edition wagon, catalogue of your chosen scale, good quality calendar and even a card at xmas ! Well worth the fee imho.

C. :)

Malc

You do get some good offers with Bachmann. I got caught out by Dapol. I joined in October, but the membership is not 12 months from when you join, but starts on 1st January, so I got 2 1/2 months for my money.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

MikeDunn

Quote from: ChrisWV10 on April 01, 2015, 06:53:24 PM
A quarterly mag, members edition wagon, catalogue of your chosen scale, good quality calendar and even a card at xmas ! Well worth the fee imho.
Agreed ...

The magazine is always worth a read (unlike the poor effort I got from Dapol, or the so-so one from Hornby).  A lot of nice stuff in there.  The Collector Club items are generally decent (depends where your interest lies, of course), and the calendar is a nice touch.

Never had to have second thoughts on renewals (we're in both the OO and N versions), unlike the recent Hornby changes (deteriorating rapidly) or the (in comparison) rubbish from Dapol - I doubt I'll ever renew that !

Mike

DesertHound

Quote from: Malc on April 01, 2015, 07:08:06 PM
You do get some good offers with Bachmann. I got caught out by Dapol. I joined in October, but the membership is not 12 months from when you join, but starts on 1st January, so I got 2 1/2 months for my money.

Malcolm

That's shocking behaviour! (On their part).
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

austinbob

Never thought of joining these clubs so I thought I'd give them both a try to see how I get on.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

gc4946

Another offer from Bachmann/Farish every year for free with their subscription is the chance to visit behind the scenes on a preserved railway, on a privately chartered train, accompanied by a surprise new model announcement, as well as having their display cabinets at the event.

Last year they visited the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, I attended that club event and thought it was great as I saw behind the scenes at Oxenhope, Haworth loco shed and the Vintage Carriages Trust workshop at Ingrow.

I don't know yet where they're heading to this year.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

MikeDunn

Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
IIRC, it is stated clearly that the Club runs Jan-Dec

DesertHound

Quote from: MikeDunn on April 01, 2015, 08:07:46 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
IIRC, it is stated clearly that the Club runs Jan-Dec

Surely they could make it quarterly though, or something similar. Seems a bit harsh taking cash from someone with only a couple of months of the year left, regardless of whether you put it in the terms and conditions.

Just my opinion.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

UPINSMOKE

I joined Dapol in Feb but did have to gee them up after waiting two weeks before anything was sent to me. Was not impressed when I was sent last years calendar in my membership package. You do get 15% off of website purchases though but the 15% does not stretch to their Monthly offers, I think this should as your a member.

Not sure if I will renew in the future.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Westbury

Cheers guys decided to give the Bachmann / Farish one a go and signed up.

One of those SDJR 4F's does look appealing !

DesertHound

Quote from: UPINSMOKE on April 01, 2015, 09:10:59 PM
I joined Dapol in Feb but did have to gee them up after waiting two weeks before anything was sent to me. Was not impressed when I was sent last years calendar in my membership package. You do get 15% off of website purchases though but the 15% does not stretch to their Monthly offers, I think this should as your a member.

Not sure if I will renew in the future.

To balance up my previous thoughts, a 15% discount doesn't sound bad. So that's on their website. How do their website prices compare to other retailers (e.g. Hattons)?

I do find that Dapol have some tasty offers on their specials pages from time to time but if you were planning to buy regular priced items then the 15% could add up over a year (depending upon how much you plan to spend of course).

Dan

Newportnobby

Given that the Farish website prices are full RRP and that dealers are allowed to offer up to 15% discount for the first 12(?) weeks after release then I can't really see the benefit of being offered that Collector's Club discount :dunce: ???
I also presume that if you bought something through the Collector's Club and it proved to be a lemon you send it back to Barwell?

DesertHound

Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2015, 09:36:51 PM
Given that the Farish website prices are full RRP and that dealers are allowed to offer up to 15% discount for the first 12(?) weeks after release then I can't really see the benefit of being offered that Collector's Club discount :dunce: ???
I also presume that if you bought something through the Collector's Club and it proved to be a lemon you send it back to Barwell?

Good point Mick!

Newportnobby

Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 09:45:14 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2015, 09:36:51 PM

Good point Mick!

No doubt someone will point out the flaw in my thinking, Dan :uneasy:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations