Where does one go to get very detailed info on models?

Started by scottmitchell74, March 25, 2017, 02:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

What I mean is, when I go to Hattons or MRD even to Bachmann's own site I can't find detailed info like: Directional lights, year of manufacture, etc...

I find that Dapol's site - when working properly - does have such details.

The Dapol Model Class 27 features

Detailed body with etched grills and separately fitted handrails
Finely detailed cast wheels
5 pole Super creep motor with huge pulling power and incredible slow running speed.
All wheel drive and pick up
Directional Lights and cab and headcode box lighting
DCC fitted with a Gaugemaster DCC23 Decoder
Dummy models available for protypical double headers
Magnetic Couplers fitted as standard with standard knuckle couplers in accessory bag

Where do the folks here find their more detailed info? Thanks!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Newportnobby

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on March 25, 2017, 02:18:37 PM
What I mean is, when I go to Hattons or MRD even to Bachmann's own site I can't find detailed info like: Directional lights, year of manufacture, etc...

I find that Dapol's site - when working properly - does have such details.

The Dapol Model Class 27 features

Detailed body with etched grills and separately fitted handrails
Finely detailed cast wheels
5 pole Super creep motor with huge pulling power and incredible slow running speed.
All wheel drive and pick up
Directional Lights and cab and headcode box lighting
DCC fitted with a Gaugemaster DCC23 Decoder
Dummy models available for protypical double headers
Magnetic Couplers fitted as standard with standard knuckle couplers in accessory bag

Where do the folks here find their more detailed info? Thanks!

I tend to agree with you, and find most of my information from reviews in either Railway Modeller or, more frequently, from this very forum. The forum is the quickest way to find out info as responses are never far away rather than having to wait for a next issue of a mag..

NeMo

Could I also chuck out the reminder that the N Gauge Society reviews pretty much everything, usually in detail.

If you're a member you can get back issues very cheaply; £3 for 10 issues last time I did this. So you can easily stock up on detailed reviews that way, as well as having plenty of top-notch reading on N gauge generally.

You can also get a years' worth of Journals on CD for a few quid, which might well take up less space and should be readable on your laptop, iPad or whatever.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

RailGooner

Newportnobby

Quote from: RailGooner on March 25, 2017, 04:09:03 PM
British N Gauge Resource
http://www.ngauge.org.uk/index.php

Under 'Manufacturers' on the right hand side steam gets no mention :(

Quote from: NeMo on March 25, 2017, 03:54:02 PM
Could I also chuck out the reminder that the N Gauge Society reviews pretty much everything, usually in detail.

The problem with mags in print is that they don't really offer a decent review of running and haulage capacity which we like to know about and which are generally commented upon on the forum :hmmm:
Just my thoughts.

RailGooner

Quote from: newportnobby on March 25, 2017, 04:37:14 PM
British N Gauge Resource

I've never noticed that. :goggleeyes: I'm shocked. Missed their aim there then...
This site aims to cover Ready-to-Run (RTR) N Gauge Locomotive, Multiple Units, Coaches and Rolling Stock from Nationalisation and the start of the Diesel/Electric Era through to the current running stock.
:thumbsdown:

NeMo

The problem with mags in print is that they don't really offer a decent review of running and haulage capacity which we like to know about and which are generally commented upon on the forum

True enough, but the NGS Journal does tend to be more objective about N than some of the other magazines. I think that's because we're actually N gauge modellers, as opposed to the newsagent magazines that seem to be more 00 guys handling a few N gauge bits for the sake of balance.

Grahame Hedges is especially pointed about flaws in models -- occasionally offering up extra reviews alongside those of the reviewer!  ;)

Cheers, NeMo

carderrail

All,

I have changed my wording slightly to try and express the aims of my website.. Basically anything Diesel/Electric motive powered and stock that would be hauled by a Diesel/Electric Locomotives.. a bit loose I know...

"This site aims to cover Ready-to-Run (RTR) N Gauge Diesel and Electric Locomotive, Multiple Units, Coaches and Rolling Stock from Nationalisation and the start of the Diesel/Electric Era and BR produced rolling stock through to the current running Post-Privitisation stock."

Regards

Tony

British N Gauge Resource

The problem with mags in print is that they don't really offer a decent review of running and haulage capacity which we like to know about and which are generally commented upon on the forum :hmmm:
Just my thoughts.

RailGooner

Quote from: carderrail on March 25, 2017, 05:42:38 PM
All,

I have changed my wording slightly to try and express the aims of my website.. Basically anything Diesel/Electric motive powered and stock that would be hauled by a Diesel/Electric Locomotives.. a bit loose I know...

"This site aims to cover Ready-to-Run (RTR) N Gauge Diesel and Electric Locomotive, Multiple Units, Coaches and Rolling Stock from Nationalisation and the start of the Diesel/Electric Era and BR produced rolling stock through to the current running Post-Privitisation stock."

:D Which covers everything that I model Tony, and why I wouldn't have noticed the absence of Steam.  :D

I should add that I find the British N Gauge Resource website a very useful resource. :thumbsup:

NeMo

Quote from: carderrail on March 25, 2017, 05:42:38 PM

I wonder if it's true to say that N gauge diesels are actually pretty consistent in terms of quality. It's not too difficult to hide the motors and electronics inside what is effectively a "box on wheels" as my dad used to call them.

But the kettles... they're much less consistent! From things like the M7 that can barely pull themselves up a gradient, much less a train, through to the Dapol 9Fs that lose parts if you sneeze at them, all the way through to the rock solid, if plain, Union Mills offerings and the really pretty reliable Farish 'Duchess' vaguely let down by an out of scale pony truck -- I think there's really more need for reviews of steam locos than diesels.

Problems with diesels seem to be getting badly made specimens within a particular range. But there are some steam locos that seem to have been badly designed and/or engineered.

Cheers, NeMo

njee20

There's certainly a huge range in performance still, a Dapol 66 will barely haul a scale length train on the flat, and gradients are out. Whilst I'm pretty sure a Farish 60 would haul a real train without effort.

Bealman

The UK  magazine Model Rail puts out an annual publication called Britain's Model Trains which contains every British model (rolling stock included) in all gauges.

I've been getting it for the last 5 years and find it useful. The 2017 edition should be out about now.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Quote from: njee20 on March 25, 2017, 08:23:02 PM
There's certainly a huge range in performance still, a Dapol 66 will barely haul a scale length train on the flat, and gradients are out. Whilst I'm pretty sure a Farish 60 would haul a real train without effort.

I have dozens of Dapol 66s and I've never had any trouble pulling 20+ intermodal flats. And just last weekend at Abingdon, I drove a Dapol 66 at the head of 20+ on Hinksey Yard. So if there are underpowered Dapol 66s out there, I've never driven nor seen one.

I will concede that none of my Dapol 66s could, but as soon as I can get my hands on a real train I'm gonna try pulling it with one of my Farish 60s. :D

scottmitchell74

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

njee20

Quote from: RailGooner on March 25, 2017, 11:16:43 PM
Quote from: njee20 on March 25, 2017, 08:23:02 PM

I have dozens of Dapol 66s and I've never had any trouble pulling 20+ intermodal flats. And just last weekend at Abingdon, I drove a Dapol 66 at the head of 20+ on Hinksey Yard. So if there are underpowered Dapol 66s out there, I've never driven nor seen one.

Isn't Hinksey Yard totally flat though? And intermodals are very light. I found mine would struggle with 30 PCAs or 20 HTAs, and a 2% gradient was totally out. It's hardly surprising. They weigh about 80g, compared to Farish at 110g or so. The older, early DCC Ready ones are better than the later ones, they made some change along the way.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations