Buying a starter set or individaully?

Started by thetigers123, March 21, 2017, 01:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetigers123

Got some funds from a successful Cheltenham festival and i want to go dcc layout. I was told to buy a graham farish set up either capital connection or the cornish riviera as it has the dcc controller and a train but the trains on option are not what i like. My question is how much more would it cost to buy a train i like, track and a controller?

johnlambert

I think you'll struggle to beat the value for money of a train set, but it's not such good value if the stock isn't in line with the layout you'd like to build.

You could also try pricing up the individual components from somewhere like Hatton's and see how the cost compares to the price of a train set.

Osborne's model shop puts together its own sets with Kato track and controller, one of those might be more to your tastes?

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/train-sets-61-c.asp

If you have a friendly model shop you could see if they will do a trade-in of the unwanted stock from the set against locos and stock they have in stock.  I doubt you'd get a straight swap but it might save you a bit of money.

Or you could buy the set and sell the unwanted stock on here or ebay.

What sort of era/region/trains do you want to model?

Newportnobby

I know half of naff all about DCC but, reading posts from those more knowledgable, the controller in the sets is not what you would hope for in its capabilities. It's cheap but that doesn't make it right for you, and I think you'd be better off getting something you like and that does what you want it to do.

TheEdge

Buying in bits will always be a lot more. Although its worth pointing out Capital Connection isn't a set, its just a train pack. No controller, no track.

A normal GraFar set seems to be about £150-200 depending on source. The Dapol-Kato ones are about the same. Although they all seem to be analogue rather than DCC. Bought separately a loco will be £100+, a few carriages another £50, £50 for a Peco track pack, Gaugemaster Prodigy Express DCC controller, £170. 

Depends how much you want to spend.

ntpntpntp

Sets will always be a "loss-leader" to get you into the hobby.   Typically they get you up and running and later on you may flog off the parts you upgrade or don't need.

With regard to the Farish DCC sets, I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend the included EZ-Command controller beyond something to get you going.  It's limited in the addresses it supports, and you can't program decoders with it. It may also have suspect output voltage or DCC signal timing:  I've recently visited a nearby forum member who started out with such a set, he's had problems with other locos not behaving - yet the same loco runs fine on my NCE PowerCab.

The PowerCab is a much better proposition for a DCC starter system in my opinion, but of course you then still need to purchase an actual train set!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Karhedron

If the trains included in the sets are not of interest to you then I think they would be a false economy. The DCC controllers are fairly basic as others have said. Get the trains that appeal to you and a good entry level DCC system and you will likely get more value for your money, even if you have to spend a bit more of it.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Calnefoxile

With regards to DCC starter sets you have 2 choices really.

Farish - Where the Loco's are pretty good and reliable from the off, but the Controller is a bit Naff.
Dapol - Where the Controller is better, but the loco's are of questionable quality.

I have to agree with the rest of the comments above, buy everything separate. It may cost a few quid more, but you'll be better off in the long run.

I can't comment on DCC controllers, being a dyed in the wool DC man, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on here.

@B757-236GT is a shop owner and would be able to give better advice on Controllers than me. Over to you Rich  ;) ;)

Cheers

Neal.

thetigers123

Ok thanks for the input guys thats made my mind up and i will buy everything separately, what entry level controllers are worth looking at then?
I hear good things with the entry level gaugemaster?
Thanks Andy.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: thetigers123 on March 21, 2017, 03:49:23 PM
what entry level controllers are worth looking at then?

You should get a few different suggestions coming through.  Personally I'd say look at the NCE PowerCab as I mentioned earlier. NCE have been around a long time, their DCC systems are "proven" as far as I'm concerned.

I like the physical design of the NCE fully featured cab throttle, I find it comfortable and user friendly.  I've had one of their full 10 amp systems for several years (for G scale stuff), I bought a PowerCab for my lad to use with his 009 stuff and also because it can be plugged in and used as another throttle on the main system.

The best advice is, as always, try and visit a shop or an exhibition stand which has a few different DCC systems that you can have a go of.  Some folk like buttons, some like knobs. Newer systems have displays.  Some can be controlled using smart phones or tablets if you like that sort of thing.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

TheEdge

Quote from: thetigers123 on March 21, 2017, 03:49:23 PM
Ok thanks for the input guys thats made my mind up and i will buy everything separately, what entry level controllers are worth looking at then?
I hear good things with the entry level gaugemaster?
Thanks Andy.

I started off with the Prodigy Express, I'd recommend it with one caveat. If you intend to go seriously down the DCC route be prepared to replace it in time if you do choose it. It is brilliant for playing trains and running them in circles, it can't however operate accessory decoders (points/signals etc). Its what I did, after its limitations became clear I ended up part-exchanging it at my local shop (who had a returned (but not broken in any way) Prodigy Advance they were using on their test circuit) for the Advance.

Ditape

The choice of DCC controller is very much a case of personal choice you will find people who recomend each of the available models, if you have the time and/or the oportunity try as many different ones as you can at dealers/clubs/shows and find one that suits you.
Diane Tape

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Ditape on March 21, 2017, 05:03:24 PM
The choice of DCC controller is very much a case of personal choice you will find people who recomend each of the available models, if you have the time and/or the oportunity try as many different ones as you can at dealers/clubs/shows and find one that suits you.

Hi

That is always the best advice.

Every control system has its own following who will say that one is best. You are the only one who can decide whats best for you.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

N-Gauge-US

A SPROG is a really good starter option for DCC (does require a computer to run jmri, but can be controlled from a phone or tablet if desired) and is comparatively very inexpensive. If you aren't afraid of computers, DCC++ is cheap and powerful and well worth a look as well.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Steve.T

Just to give you my 2p worth, really about the stock you will buy rather than the control as there are many other on this site far more qualified to give advice on DCC control.
Whilst there is nothing wrong with a good bargain (if such a thing exists in N gauge these days - another thread) don't do what I did and buy just about every bargain offered by Hattons, Kernow and the like.
Whilst I did get cheap engines and rolling stock you just end up with a lot of stuff you eventually realise you just don't want. Then when you sell them on Ebay to get what you really want all the prices have gone up and after Ebay and Paypal have taken their cut then you end up well out of pocket. Also may be difficult to sell on here as often most members will have these bargains, if they want them.
I think it is better to get less stock but make sure they are what you want to run and that generally others consider them good runners.
Also depends on what you want to to in the long run. If you just want a good mix of trains to run about and are not too bothered about era or location then fine just buy what looks good to you. But if you want to model a certain area and / or era then buy carefully.
A good option of course is to buy DC but make sure the engines are DCC ready. That way you could get a cheap 2nd hand DC controller, put you money into good engine and rolling stock.
Then when you know which direction you will take you can save up for a good DCC control that will last you and put a chip in the train and away you go. If the layout is fairly simple then not too difficult to go from DC to DCC. You may even find you are happy with DC control and save a fortune  :claphappy:
Good luck with your purchases  :thumbsup:
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Newportnobby

Quote from: Steve.T on March 22, 2017, 11:00:03 AM

A good option of course is to buy DC but make sure the engines are DCC ready. That way you could get a cheap 2nd hand DCC controller, put you money into good engine and rolling stock

@Steve.T
I think you might have meant 'a cheap 2nd hand DC controller' Steve.

Let's face it, you need to run in 'DCC ready' locos on DC anyway, so the Farish controllers split from sets will do admirably for this

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations