The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

the TV has freeview within, and that seems to be what keeps demanding to be retuned.
it seems to be getting more and more frequent, in fact this evening I've had to retune about 7 times in the last 4 hours.
worse than usual.

personally I'd be happy to watch DVDs, but SWMBO likes to watch the occasional program on TV.

so, obviously, over-ruled  :-[

Newportnobby

I'm not surprised it's in the Angry Thread then!

Malc

I'd get the aerial checked out because there should be no need to retune unless your set has a memory fault.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Nick

Quote from: Malc on October 21, 2018, 12:24:15 AM
I'd get the aerial checked out because there should be no need to retune unless your set has a memory fault.
That may be a contributing factor, but it wouldn't be my first port of call. Try the free things first. What @class37025 is describing can happen with perfectly functioning TV gear and a properly installed antenna in good condition.

I have experienced similar problems here in South Wales. Living in the Swansea area, my antenna is aligned on a transmitter in Cardiff (Wenvoe), which is almost exactly in line with a transmitter on the Mendip Hills that broadcasts English channels (obviously). That's not normally a problem, because the signal level from Mendip is way down, and the TV stays tuned to Wenvoe. However, in anomalous propagation conditions, Mendip signals can rise to a level that the TV is happy to tune into, and it decides to show us BBC West... When the anomalous propagation declines, we're left tuned to a channel that's too weak for digital reception and we have to retune. The most common condition that causes these problems is known as "sporadic E" and tends to occur in the spring/summer, but can happen at any time of year when there are high pressure weather conditions. If you check a weather map at the moment you'll find a big high sitting off southern Ireland somewhere...

The propagation problem has always existed, but actual channel jumping is one of the wonders of the digital age, as analog sets didn't retune automatically. But those who are old enough (i.e. most of us! :D) may remember "co-channel interference" where noise and even ghostly pictures would be overlaid on our normal channels because our antennas were picking up a station elsewhere in the country on the same frequency.

To fix the problem you need to disable  the  TV's automatic tuning and automatic channel update facilities and then manually tune into the multiplexes that are transmitted by the transmitter you are intending to receive. The same needs to be done to any PVR/HDD/DVD recorder in use. This should fix it, although henceforth you have to manually retune when the transmitter changes its output channels.

Precise instructions depend on TV model, and the multiplex frequencies are available online, but if @class37025 wants to PM me, I'll do my best to assist.

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

daffy

Creatures are dying in the oceans and seas of the World.

"Reduce! Recycle!"  is the mantra of the age.

Then I read this news item today about plastic, fake, "carveable" pumpkins for Halloween::

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/fake-pumpkins-consumption-environment_us_5bc8d287e4b055bc947e99fa?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_cs=z0RxAl-R5o1l9YPu9agr8A

Words fail me!  :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

lil chris

Well tomorrow I am expecting a parcel from Amazon, hopefully the delivery will be tomorrow. Last Monday was not good, I was expecting a parcel with pet supplies to be delivered by...wait for it Yodel...not expecting the result to be good, a text message read, parcel will be delivered within 3 days. On Monday morning I get a text message delivery, will be between 9-40am and 11-40am, good I thought they have improved by giving me a 2 hour delivery slot. That was getting my hopes up because at 11-40am I get another text message delivery will be between 14-16 and 16-16 so thanks to Yodel I had to wait in all day so no change then has far as they are concerned. They were also stupid enough to ask me to rate their delivery performance so they got it big time.  Why do we have to put up with such bad service, I have complained to the company I bought the goods from has well. If it will make a difference I do not know, one of the items they sell I have not seen in any local pet shops/stores, or I would buy it from there.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

lil chris

I would have gone dizzy looking up at that parcel ......phewwwwwww....
Lil Chris
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Nick on October 21, 2018, 11:01:04 AM
most common condition that causes these problems is known as "sporadic E" and tends to occur in the spring/summer, but can happen at any time of year when there are high pressure weather conditions
Actually, tropo ducting is related to high pressure :)

SpE is also a problem, can be very intense but usually quite short lived (typically minutes or, intermittently, for an hour or so), much higher up in the ionosphere (or thereabouts :) )

Both much worse in the bad old days of VHF TV

Malc

Co channel interference is usually caused by a temperature inversion caused by high pressure. With modern yagi aerials the interfering transmitter would need to be in an approximate line with the required one, as in Nick's case.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on November 05, 2018, 11:36:26 AM
Co channel interference is usually caused by a temperature inversion caused by high pressure. With modern yagi aerials the interfering transmitter would need to be in an approximate line with the required one, as in Nick's case.

You totally lost me after the word 'Co', Malc :dunce:

lil chris

I have had problems with the tv aerial in my loft, the rest of the house uses a aerial on a post mounted on the back wall,( I have no chimney on the house) with a 3 way splitter in the back bedroom. In the loft I have been using a old aerial mounted under a beam but i could not receive some of the channels so I have bought a Triax unix 52  high gain aerial to replace it. I did find a site which tells you what aerial type is required for the transmitter you are connecting too, in my case Winter Hill north of Bolton about 14 miles has a crow flys from me. That is a another job I need to do move some stuff from under the eaves so I can locate the aerial which is longer than my old one.
The need to retune the tv's ( I have 3 + a box) for Free View is a pain in the ****, they keep re arranging the numbers of the channels and also adding channels, not sure if there is a way round that.
Lil Chris

themadhippy

QuoteThe need to retune the tv's ( I have 3 + a box) for Free View is a pain in the ****, they keep re arranging the numbers of the channels and also adding channels, not sure if there is a way round that.
put up a dish and switch to freesat
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

I don't suppose you have an old satellite dish, (could be ex-Sky), have you @lil chris ? If you have, or can get hold of one from somebody, you could buy a 'Freesat' box quite cheap and hook it up to the dish. My ex-Sky dish has four outputs - I connected two to the recorder/player thingy in the lounge and a third to a cheap 'Freesat' box that it is in the bedroom, connected to a TV, (so SWMBO can watch the TV whist ironing my shirts  ;)).  I think I paid about £30 for the box in Asda a couple of years ago. Even though I live in Ireland, when setting up the box, I just programmed in a Bradford postcode, so now I get all the Yorkshire programmes. The point of this rather long winded post is that it never needs re-tuning, we just look at the on screen TV guide and pick from about 150 channels!

Addit: as is the case living where I do, somebody else, (themadhippy),beat me to it!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

Quote from: lil chris on November 04, 2018, 08:48:27 PM
Well tomorrow I am expecting a parcel from Amazon, hopefully the delivery will be tomorrow. Last Monday was not good, I was expecting a parcel with pet supplies to be delivered by...wait for it Yodel...not expecting the result to be good, a text message read, parcel will be delivered within 3 days. On Monday morning I get a text message delivery, will be between 9-40am and 11-40am, good I thought they have improved by giving me a 2 hour delivery slot. That was getting my hopes up because at 11-40am I get another text message delivery will be between 14-16 and 16-16 so thanks to Yodel I had to wait in all day so no change then has far as they are concerned. They were also stupid enough to ask me to rate their delivery performance so they got it big time.  Why do we have to put up with such bad service, I have complained to the company I bought the goods from has well. If it will make a difference I do not know, one of the items they sell I have not seen in any local pet shops/stores, or I would buy it from there.

At least you got the parcel.

I ordered two items from a 'Caravan parts' company online.

Two days later "Your order has been despatched"

A week later...     ...no parcel.

Four days of them not answering the phone, and not responding to voice mails, four days of emails going unreplied.

Has now been escalated to PayPal.

I feel I will not be seeing my £13.90 again.

Thank  :censored: it wasn't more!

:veryangry:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31