The shed

Started by first timer, September 05, 2017, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

first timer

I,m having a shed delivered and once built I need to insulate it, Alliminum (spelt wrong I know) bubble foil is my choice. Do I fit it against the wall of the shed or onto the batons leaving 20mm gap bearing in mind I am then going to cover it over with sheets of hard board to make it more like a proper railway room complete with underlay and (wait for it ) real carpet. I know what your all saying but if its going to be done its going to be done properly, I may not get the railway in there till next year but after 2 and a half years not working because of a near fatal accident at work and limited movement its going to be great to actuly do something worthwhile although I,m useless with my hands ( ask my X girlfriends ). await any response that comes along.

Regards Les (first timer )

8) 8) 8)

Newportnobby

Can't answer the question but if you have 10 girlfriends you're certainly doing something right :envy:

LAandNQFan

I tried to get it half-way down the battens, Les, so that there was an air gap between the shed wall and the insulation and a similar gap between the insulation and the shed lining.  Don't forget to get the aluminium sealing tape so that the insulation is continuous.  It's no use if there are gaps for the wind to blow through!
David
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

stevewalker

I used polystyrene sheets over the battens, with hardboard on top - leaving a good air-gap behind.

The Q

Ideally you should have an air gap each side of the bubble foil insulation. Each air gap adds to the insulation. If you are not able to do this I think I'd prefer it against the outside wall allowing the air gap to be for the hardboard. Hard board is notorious for being affected by damp so having the air gap to dry it would be better.

I choose to use polystyrene board in my walls, covered by wooden cladding boards. Much easier to install cladding boards than large sheets of hardboard or ply but probably more expensive. I have used the foil in one or two areas where I didn't have the room for the polystyrene (my shed's a very odd shape).

I don't like carpet for the floors, I'd be forever losing little bits of models in it, and very rapidly get it dirty. So I use / will be using those rubber floor tiles that interlock, they add to the insulation and soften the floor like carpet.

Don't forget to insulate your window /s getting another sheet of clear plastic on the inside or outside makes an amazing difference. Also remember that if you are screwing it on to have a larger hole that the screw shank as plastic expands and contracts a lot!!
Another thing is to to have a small gap somewhere along the bottom seal of your plastic sheet to let out any condensation. I have acrylic plastic screwed on the outside of old house sash windows with sealing tape between and just a 10mm gap for the condensation at the bottom. It Works!!

first timer

Because the insulation is quite expensive I,m hoping 1 x 28 mtrs x1.35mts wide will do the whole shed less 2 window spaces of coarse, the shed is 8x6 pent shaped, it say,s it will cover 37.5mtrs any budding mathamatitons out there confirm this !!!!!

Cheers
Les :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :A1Tornado:

Malc

Quote from: first timer on September 08, 2017, 05:12:21 PM
Because the insulation is quite expensive I,m hoping 1 x 28 mtrs x1.35mts wide will do the whole shed less 2 window spaces of coarse, the shed is 8x6 pent shaped, it say,s it will cover 37.5mtrs any budding mathamatitons out there confirm this !!!!!

Cheers
Les :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :A1Tornado:
Assuming your shed walls are 6ft high, and allowing for the pent roof, you will have some left over. That's even allowing you to insulate the door. You should have 5 sq m over.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

guest6107

How do you people keep spiders and things out?

Newportnobby

I think you are asking the impossible there. I've had mancaves in spare bedrooms and currently in my conservatory and the little buggers always find a way in (some of them ain't so little either!)

themadhippy

QuoteHow do you people keep spiders and things out
free roaming lizzard in the shed?
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

first timer

Thanks Malc,might just put a bit more on the roof. Been to the N gauge show to-day not bad, bought an engine, a bit of new track, and a couple of Metcalfe kits. So am now skint. Her indoors was with me so had full permition .shed now not being delivered until week commencing 16th oct. so have time to lay my base. The area is stoned ( small chippings ) and was told by a mate of mine to spread sand on top as the slabs will bed in better.Its has to be raised about 3ins from back to front so I think sand will sit better. What do you all think!!!!!!.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Big bad John

Sand will be fine for laying slab's on but compo around the perimeter about 2 ,to 3 inches under the edge of the slab's otherwise the slab's will start moving over time. I also sprinkle a little dry cement over the sand and rake it in just before laying the slab's.

The Q

Quote from: Quinn on September 10, 2017, 12:19:19 PM
How do you people keep spiders and things out?
conkers....

Yep, there is something about the smell they give off that the spiders don't like, just crack them open a little to let the fumes out and spread a few around the possible ways they get in ie doors and windows..

Bealman

Quote from: newportnobby on September 10, 2017, 12:38:06 PM
I think you are asking the impossible there. I've had mancaves in spare bedrooms and currently in my conservatory and the little buggers always find a way in (some of them ain't so little either!)

You guys don't know what a big spider looks like.

Plus we have to deal with lizards too. My neglected layout has recently been adorned with large droppings from some unknown wildlife. By large, around 2cm.... a bit large for even our biggest arachnid. I suspect a lizard, but I'm not gonna sit out in the garage all night waiting for the culprit  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

first timer

I think we are getting away from the subject of the shed any other ideas info anyone can give me would be great.
P. S. did anyone go to the N gauge show the week-end ?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations