Possible Weed Killer train

Started by rhysapthomas, June 14, 2017, 06:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhysapthomas

I have taken a fancy to a Weed Killer train don't really know why perhaps the thought of massacring millions of dandelions appeals
The Farish weed killer train set seems good value but I am not sure I want to lay out £250 in one.  Also it is a bit out of period for me (late 60s to early 80s)
A look around at photos of trains of that period show a huge range of engines and any old carriage or wagon in use.  The only fixed element seems to be the three water tankers
I wondered about using a Class 24/31/26/37 as an engine
Three Peco 15ft tankers as water containers
Other wagons/coaches.  I have some unpainted Syphon G wagons could they be used or a CCT wagon I have seen.  Currently the Mk 1 Suburban Brake and Mk1 Nightcap Bar seem good value
What does everybody think?  Some pictures would be interesting.
Final thought the Hunslett Packs of Class 20s is available for about £160, £80 per loco which seems good value seeing that the rereleased Class 20s seem to be at least £110.  How difficult would it be to respray one of these in Blue or similar? 

jrb

I can't help with the weedkilling train or provide any photos, and I'm definitely no expert on respraying locos either, however...

Quote from: rhysapthomas on June 14, 2017, 06:22:06 PM
Final thought the Hunslett Packs of Class 20s is available for about £160, £80 per loco which seems good value seeing that the rereleased Class 20s seem to be at least £110.  How difficult would it be to respray one of these in Blue or similar? 

...it would seem to me that as far as resprays go, BR blue would by far be the easiest one to do. :D

Farmer chap

Hi,

I've built the Agrevo weedkilling train using Hurst models overlay sides on four mk1 coaches with B4

bogies (although very hard to find these days) and the three Peco water tanks with TPM extra details.

I choose to run the train top & tailed with either the Hunslet Barclay 20's or two 37's (EW&S and

Mainline). I'll try and post photos this weekend.

Ian

Steven B

The Mk1 Pullman Bar would still be in regular use on ECML trains (or later on in your modelling period, on WCML overnight trains). Similarly the Agrevo train built from the Hurst etches is too new for your modelling period.

The RTC Website has some interesting information (including pictures) on the 1960-1980s Weed-killer trains.

Paul Bartlett's site has photos of the same coaches.

They used converted LMS or GWR passenger coaches. If you don't want to use the Farish/Dapol models then using a Lima/Dapol Siphon with a couple of old Farish mainline or suburban coaches would give you a reasonable representation of a weed-killer train.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

dodger

The Horsham based Chipman train used Maunsell & Bullied coaches. The Maunsell control vans were ex-push-pull BCK's.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations