What age group are you?

Started by Newportnobby, August 29, 2015, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

OK. You don't have to answer the question and the idea is not for folks to lie about their age, but the data may prove to tie in with the 'Era' poll recently run by PGN which can be found here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29164.60

We are frequently said to model railways we remember so it could be argued the majority of those who voted Era 5 i.e. 39 members (22% of the votes cast) are more than likely in their 60's and that maybe the 'Blue Era' modellers are perhaps in their 50's whilst the younger members model the later Eras.
It would be interesting to see how 'stereotypical' we are :hmmm:

I do not envisage any data being useful for any forum merchandising as I can't see Tank knocking out NGF nappies or zimmer frames ;)

Should anyone find the poll intrusive or offensive I'm happy for it to be removed.

PostModN66

Could you also add in the era question so we could see the correlation?

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Sprintex

I can't see how that would work Jon?  ???

You can't run two polls side-by-side if that's what you mean, and the only other way would be to have an option for each era within each age group - too many options  :confused1:

Paul

MikeDunn

You mean the poll where a number of people (myself included) have pointed out that we model an Era different to that of our youth ... ?  You do realise that any attempt to correlate one poll with another without being able to map the votes 1:1 is an utter waste of time & is therefore statistically bull :poop: ?  In order to draw the conclusions you're aiming at, you require this correct correlation.

Sorry Mick, I don't really see the point of this except to show we have a dearth of younger members  :confused1:

Newportnobby

Yeah - I know it's broad brushstroke stuff, Mike, and I hardly expect to see we have 30 members (22% of the votes cast) in the age poll which could be construed to correlate with the era poll but maybe it will give a (very) rough guide. I'm not trying to be scientific here :no:

Apart from that, all those over the required age who have bus passes can go  :nerner: :D

port perran

I've cast my vote and guess what.....I'm in the 60s group.  Old and Grumpy ! :scowl:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on August 29, 2015, 09:56:30 PM
I've cast my vote and guess what.....I'm in the 60s group.  Old and Grumpy ! :scowl:

Blimey, Martin! Don't stereotype us before the poll even gets off the ground :no:

port perran

Sorry Mick.
Actually, I'm quite interested in this and........I'm not grumpy at all actually.  Quite the opposite in fact !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on August 29, 2015, 10:05:12 PM
Sorry Mick.
Actually, I'm quite interested in this and........I'm not grumpy at all actually.  Quite the opposite in fact !

Perhaps I should apologise. My guilt complex kicked in :-X

Geoff

Oh hec I am 63 and pressed the over 60's which technically I am oops
Geoff

JasonBz

Im 40 something  and I probably like an era slightly before the typical "when I was 15" sortta thing as my primary interest.

cornish yorkie

Hi, I am in my late 50s but have much larger interest in modern trains.
regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Dorsetmike

I'm actually modelling the period in which I was born.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

Why did you stop at 60s ?
do 70s and 80s not warrant their own groups ??
methinks to group them all in "over 60" is ageist
why not over 30 and stop there ?
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"poll intrusive or offensive" nope ! Just shant answer
"don't have to answer the question" see above  LOL ! :laugh:

Wot about a dinosaur group and what motivated you to ask this poll ? demographers need to know , , ,

JasonBz

Quote from: Dorsetmike on August 29, 2015, 11:37:13 PM
I'm actually modelling the period in which I was born.

So am I as far as the Hydraulic Fleet is going, though that is more a D6300 thing than a real desire to do a late 60s/early 70s theme .. Im much more au fait with ten to fifteen years later.
Early 70s China Clay is probably a whole lot easier cos the wagons only had flat sheets on them then and not the hoods, which I suspect are a pain to model well in N gauge  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations