Annual Wishlist Poll

Started by ScottyStitch, October 10, 2016, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Maybe it's RMWeb's acknowledgment they are not the number one in N gauge matters

RailGooner

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 13, 2018, 01:39:38 PM
Maybe it's RMWeb's acknowledgment they are not the number one in N gauge matters

:NGF:

trkilliman

I think the Wishlist poll is a good idea as it allows us as modellers to express our wishes as to what we would like.

This in turn may be used by manufacturers when looking/deciding on a new model. Perhaps the impending Stanier 8f is a result of a Wishlist?

A couple of years back a Wishlist showed that TPOs were up amongst the top few favourites amongst voters. The NGS of which I was a member for some time (until recently) asked at some point later what members would like to see as a members special commission.

I contacted a committee member in the NGS hierarchy and said about the TPOs coming out quite high up. I emphasised that there was scope for many of these long lived carriages to be done in big four, B.R. crimson/maroon, and blue and grey liveries. The reply I received said he didn't think there would be much appeal for them.

On the strength of this I don't think the NGS are particularly interested in wider Wishlist polls, preferring their own method of arriving at what to commission. That said, and in all fairness the Collett Full Brake is a superb model, along with the Stove R and Inspection saloon. I believe they all sold well.

NeMo

Some truth to this, @trkilliman, but I'm always surprised by the way the major manufacturers seem to avoid the obviously popular picks, and instead go for really obscure stuff. How often has the Class 117 DMU topped the N-gauge list? But instead Dapol decide we need a prototype HST.

Of course sometimes their choices are inspired and welcome -- the SECR 'Birdcage' stock for example hardly seems to satisfy some pent-up demand, but the fact they exist opens up new possibilities.

So I'm not sure wish lists accomplish much, even though they're fun to read through!

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: trkilliman on October 13, 2018, 02:29:31 PM
I think the Wishlist poll is a good idea as it allows us as modellers to express our wishes as to what we would like.
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

NeMo

Quote from: Lindi on October 13, 2018, 05:12:26 PM
Another cheap shot at Dapol by you.
Fair enough, but why "another"? When was my first? And why "cheap"? No offence was intended, and if you chose to take offence on behalf of Dapol, then I'm sorry about that.

As I also said, sometimes these imaginative choices turn out to be great, like the SECR 'Birdcage' stock, or the Arnold 'Brighton Belle', or for that matter Dapol's Class 86, flying in the face of received wisdom that AC electrics don't sell.

Also why would they spend there time/money on the Class 117 when Bachmann have already done the research and could shrink ray their OO gauge model in less time than it would take Dapol.
In lots of ways their Class 121 shares many details with the Class 117. While I admit that a Class 117 isn't as simple as cutting the cab off two Class 121s and sticking a couple carriages in between, it wouldn't be massively more difficult either.

Personally I would prefer to have a model of the Prototype HSDT
It's certainly a welcome addition to the range of N gauge models out there.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

trkilliman

Out of curiosity do Oxford diecast ever issue a wish-list, or has anyone ever created one ? 

I ask as there have been several occasions when people have bemoaned the fact that there are several gaps in their range, albeit extensive.

It's not the era I model but I do think those who model the 70s and 80s could really do with some vehicles...Allegros, Maxis, Marinas, Capris etc etc. A start has been made I believe with a later Cortina, but there is a mass of scope for this time period.

So, another area of our modelling where a wishlist might have some impact...or not.

Chris Morris

I must say I thought the prototype HST was an odd choice as well. Thanks for explaining.
I would have thought an N gauge poll would be easier than oo, especially for locos. In oo I think all the mainstream locos have been done and so have a lot of not so mainstream. In N there are plenty of mainstream locos left to make. GW County, 63xx and Ivatt 4mt immediately spring to mind but there are many others. There are also a number of locos that were made in N many years ago but look too had to use these days such as the large prairie. I would like a large prairie but the old Farish one is just not good enough to my eyes no matter how cheap it is.

If there is a poll could I suggest a section for new liveries on current models as this is a relatively easy win for manufacturers. For instance a Gresley buffet car in blue and grey would be useful to me at least as they were used in that livery in the West country.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Newportnobby

Quote from: Lindi on October 13, 2018, 05:32:14 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on October 13, 2018, 01:39:38 PM

The poll is run by a group of volunteers on RMWeb headed up by Brian Macdermott. The volunteers main interest is in OO gauge. They reported that the N gauge section of the poll was taking 70% off their time but only received 20% of the votes. So reluctantly they have decided not to continue with the N Gauge poll.

It's not a competition as to who is number 1 in N gauge matters. Why do some members on here have to be so negative towards the RMWeb, after all we are all railway modellers?

I don't read RMWeb. I know nothing about them. My comment was tongue in cheek.
Kindly remove yourself from my back.
You will also see in reply #70 I volunteered to do an N gauge poll so does that make me as good as Brian McDermott and his merry men? Dunno why I bothered now. ::)

Tank

Quote from: Lindi on October 13, 2018, 09:11:19 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on October 13, 2018, 09:07:14 PM

Such a nice comment from a Moderator from a so called family friendly forum?

Here's a nice comment from an Admin - stop winding the membership up with your posts.  Thank you.

GrahamB

Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2018, 07:05:16 AM
Quote from: Lindi on October 13, 2018, 09:11:19 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on October 13, 2018, 09:07:14 PM

Such a nice comment from a Moderator from a so called family friendly forum?

Here's a nice comment from an Admin - stop winding the membership up with your posts.  Thank you.

Well said.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Dalek

Quote from: Lindi on October 13, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: Dalek on October 13, 2018, 11:35:51 AM
I find navigating the RMweb forum a nightmare with no way that i can see of looking at just N Gauge related posts.
Is there a wey to do this?
Craig

This will give you all posts that are tagged as N Gauge (regardless of which board they are posted on)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/tags/forums/N%2BGauge/

and those tagged as 2mm

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/tags/forums/2mm/

and those tagged as DCC

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/tags/forums/DCC/

There are some excellent topics on there and some cross posts with this forum

Brill thanks, i will give them a go  :thumbsup:

Craig

njee20

IME the tagging isn't widely used though, I suspect you'll miss huge amounts of relevant content if you rely on that.

Layouts like "this is Euston" is actually 2mm FS, so doesn't have an N gauge tag (I've just checked), but if you're into AC electrics and c1990 operation it's like heaven, and built to a stunning standard!

Likewise Banbury, which is a superb layout, uses "N Scale" as the tag, rather than N Gauge. Obviously as per Lindi's comment you can look for N scale, 2mm, N-gauge etc which will pick up some others, but it doesn't look for partial matches on tags.

At risk of committing heresy I find the layout content better on RMWeb, although I still post here more.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on October 15, 2018, 09:08:39 AM

At risk of committing heresy I find the layout content better on RMWeb, although I still post here more.

I've informed the Witchfinder General and he asks how you like yourself - raw, medium or well cooked? >:D

NGS-PO

Quote from: Lindi on October 13, 2018, 12:51:07 PM
A comment from Andy York on RMWeb

"the generosity they make by offering their previous work. I understood this was done through appropriate channels to the NGS so any lack of enthusiasm would seem to be from the NGS rather than the poll team."

So it seems like the NGS was to take over the N gauge poll but haven't done anything

Please see this thread, here, for clarification:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138354-n-gauge-poll/?p=3330454
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Ben A

Hello all,

Apologies for the essay but....

At the Great Electric Train Show at the weekend I arranged to meet Brian McDermott, the organiser of the annual poll, to discuss how an N gauge version might be resurrected.

Whatever your views about different forums, magazines or other outlets I think it IS a useful exercise, and I am sure it is watched by the manufacturers.

In my view the poll needs to reach the widest number of people to be considered effective.  Brian confirmed Lindi's comment that for his group - nearly all 00 enthusiasts - trying to create the N Gauge poll was taking up way too much time, and they acknowledge their lack of expertise was a big part of this.

Brian has said that to create an N Gauge poll probably needs a small time of around 4-5 people and a project manager to coordinate the team and the results.

To maximise the reach, and hopefully minimise any feelings of being marginalised, there is no reason links to the voting pages could not be posted here and in the NGS Journal if its editor is amenable.

So where is the hard work?

Brian's key point is that it's pointless just asking modellers to make suggestions; the list needs focus.  So the main job for the team is to come up with a sensible shortlist.  This means looking at available complementary items - rolling stock in the case of locos, locos in the case of coaches and wagons - and seeing what would be popular and would go with them.  So, for example, if you know that Farish are just releasing their Birdcage stock the wish list team should identify what locos pulled them and decide whether any should be included in the list.

This is the area where their lack of N gauge knowledge was causing trouble - for every choice they were spending hours combing the web trying to find the right combinations.  For those of us familiar with any given era or region, that knowledge is probably already present.

So the team should probably include a balance of members with, between them, expertise in a broad range of eras and regions.

If anyone is serious about volunteering then please PM me and I will put you in touch with Brian who will happily talk you through it, and email his notes based on his experience of running it for several years.

Cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations