!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction  (Read 128608 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #2055 on: January 13, 2018, 07:50:38 am »

The terraformers are definitely in residence at the moment (sounds like it could be a name for a movie franchise or a 70's soft rock group) and the mod-rock has been out in force (glad I bought a job lot

Ah, Mike and the Terraformers, and a new genre too, mod rock  :D I may even recall going to one of their gigs in the early seventies??

Great work, you canít beat a good rock formation  :thankyousign:

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2056 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:30 am »
Great idea John, like most great ideas, simple and effective!  Nice LNER loco too - What I liked about the track mop was it's long reach, so I can get under road bridges etc.  I suspect you had more fun gathering the materials for yours than I did for the track mop :)  But I will take your idea for cleaning my test track...if only I could find a cork .......  :beers:

Yes, Andrew, I enjoyed the research into which 'sparkling wine' produces the most useful corks.  I am sorry to say that cheap 'n' cheerful Prosecco corks are better than those from exquisite 'Nyetimber' or 'Chapel Down'.  Bother!

The device was in use this morning:

Where does all that black stuff come from?  Yes, I clean the track regularly.  Still, the cloth goes into the washing machine...

Thank you for your kind comment about 'D11/2' 4-4-0 No. 6397 The Lady of the Lake.  She is from Union Mills and is a super runner.  There is an interesting photo feature about the last days of the 'D11/2's in the January 2018 British Railways Illustrated (Vol.27, No.4).

I spy a newly-delivered BR Green 'Deltic'!

Sorry, Chris, I regret it is D9007 Pinza, which is particularly well-known to Brawton locospotters.  However, as she did not enter service until 22 June 1961, I can offer no explanation as why she was photographed sitting in Brawton goods headshunt on 12 January 1961!  She had better be hidden away until June to avoid another paradox.  I certainly would like another 'Deltic', though.

Thank you, both, and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2057 on: January 13, 2018, 10:45:52 am »
Thank you, Andrew. As Doctor Who is also a "Deltic" fan, maybe the TARDIS has paid a visit to Brawton and, inadvertently, caused a time anomaly?

I remember "Pinza" well in her green livery. You will need some ER BR Lined Maroon BR Standard coaches now! 8-)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2058 on: January 13, 2018, 11:14:46 am »
D9000 "Royal Scots Grey" has a residency at the PRPS, it is long overdue a run out, one of several loco's that has not had any decent running hours and it has a choice of maroon rolling stock to haul, both the Dapol Gresely's and some older GF stock

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2059 on: January 14, 2018, 08:36:26 am »
I started to think about the platforms at Auchterarder, I have not tried to do these before as scratch built, so I am feeling my way.  when I laid the cork trackbed, I has assumed that I needed to remove the cork where the platforms would sit...that appears to have been an un-necessary step and might need to be re-instated.

A bit less snow on the hills now, a coat of raw umber makes all the difference!

Tunnel portal in place and I shaped the hill/rock face to the left of it to create a better looking profile - will apply grout and foil in due course

Down platform (2nd attempt) in place, some larger than desired gaps are going to be inevitable at the north end (nearest the camera) - can already see I have not shaped it properly, so will need to be a 3rd attempt, but I don't have any more balsa sheet left.

Up platform and bay rough cut installed... using my longest coach to work out clearances, I learned from my mistake from the down platform and will put some locating pins in to make sure I put it back in the same place each time - the process has been to mark up the excess and then sand it down, return to location and test with longest coach and repeat.  I have applied the foil to the cliff face at the tunnel portal too, which can be seen in the background

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2060 on: January 14, 2018, 09:34:04 am »
Most satisfying when you start adding colour the scenery.  :thumbsup:

Excellent crack at producing a curved platform. I knew from the start that producing a similar was beyond my skills so wimped out and have platforms on the mainline straight!

Dave G

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2061 on: January 14, 2018, 10:18:16 am »
Thanks Dave, I wholeheartedly agree!

I am starting to come to the same conclusion about my own abilities regarding curved platforms!  But I am committed now, would mean a complete rip out of most of the main board to change things now.. I couldn't face that & this station is central to the whole backstory......

Wish me luck!  I have order another dozen sheets of balsa :)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2062 on: January 14, 2018, 10:37:54 am »
Have you tried using the 'pencil attached to a coach' method to produce a reasonably close example of the curve?

I'm certain it's been mentioned here a load of times but can't seem to find a definitive 'how to'.

Someone is bound to offer that solution or perhaps better, any minute now!

Dave G

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2063 on: January 14, 2018, 10:47:14 am »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. Excellent progress and photos. It's well worth persevering with the balsa wood platforms until you get it right. The curve through Cant Cove station is very gentle (less than I had planned) but it took me a while to get it right. However, as some ballast became stuck on the area under where the Down platform rests (it is removable, probably a mistake as if it was stuck down no ballast would have got under its edge) it is now too high. The track alongside was not properly aligned using a metal guide piece so that will have to be raised, realigned and reballasted. That won't be done until I replace the broken point near the end of the Up platform. So, you can see the importance of getting everything right! Especially before ballasting. Don't forget also to allow for the platform lighting and the platform surfacing. (I used a combination of spraypainted sandpaper to represent gravel and printed stone slabs, courtesy of Laurence.) Also the station running-in boards. (It is best to be able to firmly fix their supports into the platform surface rather glue them on top.) Then there are any buildings on the platforms that need to be sunk into the platform . . . So, the surface should be done last!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2064 on: January 14, 2018, 11:48:13 am »
Thanks Dave, I saw that method described in the instructions for the Metcalfe platforms that I have ... and am considering using, but which coach, which pencil, where to fit it, decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thanks for that advice Chris, the balsa is 1mm sheets, I am undecided on how to finish it... I was using the Ratio platform kits as a guide on height

I think there may be a few iterations on these!

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #2065 on: January 14, 2018, 11:52:20 am »
This is all coming together very nicely.
I hope that the platform with the slight double curve works out as it will be a very attractive fearure.
I used cardboard sheets to get the shape for mine (which is actually too sharp realistically but does work) which I then cut out from plasticard sheets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:43:27 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2066 on: January 14, 2018, 12:21:52 pm »
Thanks Martin, I used a paper template initially, will keep persevering to get it right, but it will be worth it in the end

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2067 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
@mattycoops43 seems to have the curved platforms cracked so maybe he could point out any pitfalls likely in the construction/measuring....

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37530.msg478512#msg478512

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #2068 on: January 14, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence NPN!

I found it a very daunting thing to contemplate, then when I came to do it, found it surprisingly easy.

The technique in the instructions worked, basically make a paper template first, dead easy as pressing down on the paper the rail you are working to marks through the paper, this gives a rough template that will fit to the rails exactly and the rails hold it in place(particularly good for island platforms). then use a coach and a pencil  to mark the widest clearance needed. Probably best to read it in my topic rather than repeat everything here.

Any questions ask away.

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #2069 on: January 14, 2018, 05:12:28 pm »
Thanks Dave, I saw that method described in the instructions for the Metcalfe platforms that I have ... and am considering using, but which coach, which pencil, where to fit it, decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thanks for that advice Chris, the balsa is 1mm sheets, I am undecided on how to finish it... I was using the Ratio platform kits as a guide on height

I think there may be a few iterations on these!

Use the longest coach you will be running, trim the end of a pencil down so that it has a flat on the side with the lead showing through, that goes to more than the height of the coach. Put some tape round it to stop lead rubbing off on the coach rather than being half a pencil width offset, then you can hold the pencil against the coach side and the lead will mark exactly the width of the coach. Obviously coach ends on outside curve and coach middle on inside curve.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything