OCD

Started by InsaneSociety, October 22, 2018, 02:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven B

Quote from: InsaneSociety on October 22, 2018, 05:18:44 PM
although I thought 1st class should always be at the front or rear or next to restaurant car?

It depends... On trains heading to or from London the first class section was at the London end. As a rule of thumb there would be a buffet car followed by second class. Some trains had catering cars either side of first class.

Cross country (i.e. not ariving/departing London) could have first class accomodation (usually CK) either at both ends  or often in the middle.

Again, knowing which area and era you're planing to model would help us make better suggestions.

Railwaygun

Quote from: Lawrence on October 22, 2018, 07:20:05 PM
Rule 1 applies

That is all!

And how many real Trains's have full size Arnold couplers?

Full scale fidelity is a myth and inachievable - Rule1 is not!
( not to mention the OO brigade, OO bodies on HO track)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

njee20

Our track is too narrow as well, not just OO gauge...!

There's nothing wrong with trying to emulate a prototype. No one's saying that 100% fidelity is achievable, but if people want to get as close as practically possible that's their prerogative.

Bealman

Start getting MRJ every month  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on October 23, 2018, 08:12:23 AM
The beauty of the internet is that it makes it possible to find prototypes for all kinds of combinations of vehicles which would normally be written off as implausible.

Quote from: InsaneSociety on October 22, 2018, 02:33:25 PM
But here is my question for modellers who go for the extra realism, - how should a rake of Mk 1 coaches be formed behind a loco? It would be interesting to hear your opinions so here is the task, - It is an 8 or 10 coach formation and must include a buffet or restaurant car.

Which era? What kind of locomotive? Somewhere I've seen a picture of a steam locomotive (possibly "Flying Scotsman") at the head of a rake of InterCity-liveried Mk1s. The possibilities are endless.

This is the set I was thinking of, and does indeed include a buffet car:

http://www.hondawanderer.com/47816_Banbury_1990.htm

Intercity

You can create a "typical" rake, ie one that would be common to the area and era your emulating, then you can have a protypical rake, this is one that has been created in order to fill the service with whatever they had available.

I can recall my days on the WCML with many short formed takes including the buffet car being missing (a couple of times a cross country MK2 mini buffet being used instead, not many happy passengers expecting a full restaurant service on those days), other rakes have had the Mk3 buffet marshaled behind the loco in place of a regular MK2 or Mk3 TSO.

So all in all there is no real set way to put together a rake, just have fun and if it looks right then run it (there's probably a picture of it online anyway)

joe cassidy

Catering vehicles were sometimes at the end of the train as they were added/dropped off at intermediate stations en route.

Best regards,

Joe

PLD

I suffer from CDO - its like OCD but with the letters arranged in correct alphabetical order...  ::) :P

The Q

Quote from: joe cassidy on October 23, 2018, 06:34:50 PM
Catering vehicles were sometimes at the end of the train as they were added/dropped off at intermediate stations en route.

Best regards,

Joe

I'd agree with this, On the Kyle line the Buffet car didn't even do the full trip, but was dropped off half way along and the train going the other way, they passed at that point picked it up.

Trainfish

Quote from: PLD on October 23, 2018, 08:43:31 PM
I suffer from CDO - its like OCD but with the letters arranged in correct alphabetical order...  ::) :P

:laughabovepost:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations