"We are all Different" so "What kind of Modeller Are You" ?

Started by longbridge, March 19, 2013, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

Q: We are all Different so What kind of Modeller Are You ?
A: The constantly broke type!  :laugh:

(That's 'skint' in other words or 'financially challenged' in pc talk!)

Seriously though, I'm the sort who likes making stuff.
I tend to have more interest in the non train stuff that needs to go around the trains yet the trains are still important!
Building model railways to me has always been the fun part, playing operating them to me is a nice bonus once I've built them.
And I tend to model from an artistic perspective and go with what looks right, rather than whats correct!

So What kind of Modeller Am I ?
I have absolutely no idea!  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

longbridge

Quote from: moogle on April 01, 2013, 12:09:23 AM
Q: We are all Different so What kind of Modeller Are You ?
A: The constantly broke type!  :laugh:

(That's 'skint' in other words or 'financially challenged' in pc talk!)

Seriously though, I'm the sort who likes making stuff.
I tend to have more interest in the non train stuff that needs to go around the trains yet the trains are still important!
Building model railways to me has always been the fun part, playing operating them to me is a nice bonus once I've built them.
And I tend to model from an artistic perspective and go with what looks right, rather than whats correct!

So What kind of Modeller Am I ?
I have absolutely no idea!  :smiley-laughing:

:D Thats very funny Moogle, I am a skint modeller too, thats why I build free card kits and buy second hand rolling stock, it just adds to the challenge  ;) ;) ;) and I can still afford to put petrol in the car  :doh:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

daveg

I'm with Moogle when it comes to building the layout and getting the trains running.

I get particular pleasure in working on the scenics and buildings despite not being anything like skilled at it. When the trains run through the scenery I'm as happy as Larry.

My locos and rolling stock include GWR, LMS and a bit of SR so it's definitely Rule 1 at Hurst Hill!

Dave G

Caz

Quote from: Mollington Street on March 31, 2013, 09:24:27 PM
For me the enjoyment is in the electronics and the software control of several trains all at once.   The advent of Dcc was a boon and the modern software such as TrainController has greatly increased the level of fun I get from the trains.

I like to run trains and locomotives with lights and electronic signals with many aspects - all automated.

RTR is fine for my needs, mostly Dapol running under Lenz control on Kato unitrack - but all controlled and lit by TrainController.

We're all different aren't we............ :)

Nice to come across another Train Controller fan on here, we're in the minority.  Like you, I love the automated options using DCC and watching the trains go by and everything happening just as I had programmed it.

I have the additional benefit that my layout is a roundy roundy, an end to end, a branch line and has a shunting area so I get the best of all worlds.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Jerry Howlett

Mine is also a tad unfinishedly. Tried a couple of hours today as we had an outbreak of less than grey skies, but have retreated to the warmth of the dining room to attack yet MORE Scalescenes stuff.

I have a feeling that any more progress like this and it will become a scenic layout with a bit of track.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

d-a-n

Quote from: longbridge on March 19, 2013, 10:48:42 PMso what kind of modeller are you?

An outsider would probably see me as quite a lazy modeller.
My layout is a train set.
But, it is more of a functional desk in my office which doubles up as a train set comprising of a table top, which is still pine colour with Kato track laid on it; I've drilled massive holes through it, with provisional holes made for further point work and the track isn't even laid down! No scenery, no grass, no hills, no stations - pretty it isn't.
Moving on from the easy-to-clean-office-furniture-with-a-twist, we have my rolling stock....
I am more of a train enthusiast than a dyed in the wool modeller but I do like the rolling stock to look good so I add loads and weather my wagons.
For me at this moment, this hobby is about seeing little trains go round with the facilities for hands free shunting to add play value. My fledgling business means I don't always have the time to play trains but having decent looking rakes running around the desk while I am photo editing is certainly better than the fish tank I'd first envisaged for the office!

Newportnobby

DavieB is an expert on fish tank and associated items, and from what I can gather that hobby is also more expensive than N gauge trains :o

longbridge

Quote from: newportnobby on April 02, 2013, 08:44:02 PM
DavieB is an expert on fish tank and associated items, and from what I can gather that hobby is also more expensive than N gauge trains :o

You can say that again Mike, my Son in Law spent $6,000 on a tank with the pumping gear plus another $1,000 on fancy fish, now its downstairs full of stagnant water, all the fish died which I guess is a bit like split gears on a Farish loco.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Lankyman

I would never describe myself as a modeller as I have no skills whatsoever in track laying, electrics or scenery. As a career Railwayman I spent all of my career in Operations so that is my first interest. That is why I had my layout built for me. My layout is a "roundy-roundy" with a double track main line but it also has a single branch line to a small country terminus with a goods yard. I tend to have two trains running round the main lines with a train operating on the branch. It is this which gives the most interest. If the Class 108 DMU works the branch shuttle then it is boring because all it does id go back and forth. However if a loco hauled set is used then there are run round operations at each end. That at the main line end involves the outer loop service being suspended whilst the run round takes place. If it is a freight then a lot shunting takes place at each end of the branch.

Access to the network is from a fiddle yard (actually a cassette) which means that when the train reaches the main station it requires some routing or shunting depending on what direction it is to go then. I have two main line sets (5 maroon MK1's and 6 Stanier blood and custards) which just run round the main line, a DMU that can go anywhere, a loco-hauled non-corridor set, a mixed freight train and various Parcels vans. When the latter are out they have to be shunted to the Parcels Bay which is a complicated job depending on direction and usually involves stopping the job on all lines at the main line station. I have a mixture of steam and diesel locos but, much as I love steam, I soon lose patience when they don't behave and resort to diesels for some reliability.

After a lot of work ensuring track reliability, well documented elsewhere, I have now started on the scenery. I have built the platforms and station buildings for both stations and this has made a big improvement to the look of the layout. I have also built some shops. So far I have only used Metcalfe kits. I have also got some plastic kits but dread starting these because they will require painting and I know I will make a hash of that. I have also just bought some ballast but haven't yet worked how to do it on my Kato track. I realise that as I go on I will have to start on the real scenery but, as yet I have no idea How I am going to develop that. And then there is my real passion, the signalling system. Where do I start with that one? Oh for a magic wand that I could just wave over the whole thing so that I could just get on with playing with, I mean Operating, the trains.

Ron
Ron

d-a-n

I fancied a marine tank then read about how much effort, time and money is required to run it... besides, it'd be cruel of me to get one half-heartedly, only for them to die through my incompetence (and I dread to think what kind of accident could befall a tank, a collection of professional digital SLRs lenses and a pair of naughty cats)!

Karyn

Have you considered a train set model railway in a marine tank?

davieb

Quote from: d-a-n on April 02, 2013, 09:47:17 PM

I fancied a marine tank then read about how much effort, time and money is required to run it... besides, it'd be cruel of me to get one half-heartedly, only for them to die through my incompetence (and I dread to think what kind of accident could befall a tank, a collection of professional digital SLRs lenses and a pair of naughty cats)!

Yes Marine Tanks can be expensive to set up and require more effort to look after, Depending on what system you use  :hmmm:

As for what accidents can befall a tank like this I know from bitter experience  :(
I had a 4 x 2 x 2 full reef tank set up for 14 months then I went on holiday for a week and came back to what looked like 100 gallons of milk
The tank had over-heated and killed over £2500 worth of corals  :'(  :'(  :headbutt:

So now I stick to tropical fish and model railways  :)

dave  :thumbsup:

d-a-n

Quote from: davieb on April 03, 2013, 12:09:20 AMYes Marine Tanks can be expensive to set up and require more effort to look after, Depending on what system you use  :hmmm:

As for what accidents can befall a tank like this I know from bitter experience  :(
I had a 4 x 2 x 2 full reef tank set up for 14 months then I went on holiday for a week and came back to what looked like 100 gallons of milk
The tank had over-heated and killed over £2500 worth of corals  :'(  :'(  :headbutt:

So now I stick to tropical fish and model railways  :)

dave  :thumbsup:

What an awful thing to come home to - I'm glad it didn't put you off fish tanks for good. You should get some pictures of your tropical tank up in a new thread, I'd love to see it and it provides inspiration for the future...

Greybeema

I am quite a 'lone furrow' guy - in that I am quite happy modelling on my own.  I don't belong to a club.  Have thought about it but haven't gotten around to it.  In effect I use the forum as my club.

I actually like the playing operating of the layout.  I enjoy figuring out the train sequence and trying to use that for setting up a timetable.  I use DCC and enjoy being able to configure the trains to run at scale speeds.  I suppose in short for me modelling is about trying to create a reality but to a smaller scale.

Had a go at my first conversion last year - Build a Class 465 Networker for my layout.  It went OK and I enjoyed the challenges.  I have thought it through and want to build three.  Two in yellow door Southeastern livery (one powered, one dummy) and one more in the blue door livery but a dummy this time.  So that way I have two eight car sets.

Need to work on my freight sets.  I have an intermodal to represent the service to Thamesport.  I have two Cement sets for Northfleet works.  I need to sort out ballast & infrastructure sets for Hoo Junction Yard and Gravel Sets for Grain Gravel.

So I suppose you could say I am nerdy because I like to research what ever I am modelling (I do aircraft as well) and I do like to get them as right as I can...

Thats about it.... 
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

monkey

A total beginner so don't know yet.
Just looking at some of grandad's tiny models I think I might let him do any really fiddly stuff.
Jazzy      The forums stroppy teenager.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations