"Timing" a layout - Visual Clues

Started by Bad Raven, December 29, 2012, 11:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I'd like to applaud Claude on his fine post :thumbsup:
He is completely correct when he says if something is put out in the public domain it should be an accurate representation as opposed to the home layout which isn't intended for 'public consumption'. I too dislike the term rivet counter and take my hat off to those who either have the knowledge or can spare the time for research to ensure everything is perfect down to the last detail. I strongly suspect the bulk of us are just trying to recreate a model of what we can remember (certainly the case in my own efforts) and memories can be somewhat inaccurate, especially as I am going back some 45 years. IMHO, if it looks right it is right (and, yes, I do some research where possible) but public or private I wouldn't dream of pointing out inaccuracies unless specifically asked the question "Do you see anything wrong with what I have done?"
It's also a fair point the perpetrator is not here to defend themselves (or are they? :uneasy:)

Thanks also to everyone who has responded in such a great spirit. I believe that's what makes this forum what it is :claphappy:

Agrippa

I hope this is the final comment, but not betting on it , to modellers  building
to exacting standards your work will be applauded, to others
like myself who make compromises enjoy your layouts , if you  run
trains which may be slightly out of time with other features on  the
layout it's not a major point, so enjoy.

We don' t want WW3 breaking out here, in the end it's
only rock'n roll.

And best wishes to all members and moderators for 2013.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

PLD

I have some sympathy with the O/P. There does seem to be a 'blind spot' with many modellers to life outside the railway boundary... They strive for accuracy in their rolling stock - e.g. would never run Big 4 liveried coaches behind a BR Blue diesel loco, but over the fence it seems ther are less bothered about out of period, out of region (and on occasions out or scale!) items.

Road vehicles do seem a particular failing especially the use of Oxford Diecast buses. Another example I recently saw was a London Transport Routmaster (1950s design) showing destination 'Marble Arch' parked in the station forecourt, next to a Ford Anglia (1960s) on a layout supposedly set in the Welsh valleys in the 1930s. All the railway stock, much of it kit built, was bang on for the period and location - a great deal of effort had been put into getting that part right so why not put similar thought into the rest of the layout rather than it seeming a cobbled together afterthought.

Agrippa

PLD , I liked  your posting re the (relatively) modern road vehicles
appearing on a 1930s layout , especially the London destination
on the bus !

Like an episode of Dr Who, public transport time travel!

I think the main points arising are that there are highly
skilled modellers who will achieve great authenticity and
accuracy , especially in layouts for exhibition and display,
and others who will compromise slightly, eg running big 4
liveried coaches with early BR locos which may have
occurred as all  of  the rolling stock could not have been
repainted overnight on nationalisation, though obvious
ludicrously anachronistic scenes should be avoided.

Pengi

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"

Anais Nin
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Agrippa

"The past is a foreign country"

L.P.Hartley

weave

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations