N scale

Started by Elvinley, February 10, 2017, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Quote from: Bealman on February 11, 2017, 09:06:02 AM
If I'm assuming things correctly, I think the OP was a light hearted post. Let's not all get too carried away with it!  :beers:

Couldn't agree more Sir. In keeping with that tone, here we go ...

There was once a young man who loved N-Gauge
Who found himself in a rage
He beat his brow
Wouldn't accept N-Scale
And his complaint found it's way to this page!

:ban:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Bealman

You didn't make that up, did you. If you did, it's pistols at dawn  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DesertHound

Thought I'd bring some light-hearted jest to the thread. On a far more serious note - I too prefer N-Gauge to N-Scale.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

RailGooner

After a reflective night in  :sleep: scale land, I've decided to pack in N and start modelling 1:1 scale.  :laugh3:

Sprintex

Or is it 4' 8½" gauge? ;)

Paul

RailGooner

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

woodbury22uk

As someone who models in 1/160, 1/148 and 1/150 I find myself using N on its own without the gauge or scale qualifier. After all is N Gauge appropriate for a scenic item where track gauge is irrelevant. Our close neighbours in France use N scale (Echelle N) and in Germany N track (Spur N).

Notice Oxford Diecast now uses 1/148 and N gauge, so maybe something where gauge is the right word in planning.  :)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

railsquid

Quote from: woodbury22uk on February 11, 2017, 03:09:57 PM
As someone who models in 1/160, 1/148 and 1/150 I find myself using N on its own without the gauge or scale qualifier. After all is N Gauge appropriate for a scenic item where track gauge is irrelevant. Our close neighbours in France use N scale (Echelle N) and in Germany N track (Spur N).

Whipping out my pedant hat, "Spur" is actually "gauge", as in "Breitspur", "Schmalspur" etcetera.

In Japan it's "N gauge" (rendered as "enu geiji").

Where does 2mm scale come into this?  :D

woodbury22uk

I was mistranslating "spur" as in "spurbreite". But I must admit that German was not my strongest language in spite of running two railway wagon facilities in Austria and Germany. :)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Steamie+

Oh God it's getting serious again, does it matter what it's called, we all model N...      Happy Modelling.     :NGaugersRule: :ngauge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RailGooner

Of no interest to @Steamie+  I know.  :D But, I asked Bachman "Why does Bachmann/Graham Farish misuse the term 'N Scale' (universally interpreted to mean 1:160) when talking about 'N Gauge' (universally interpreted to mean 1:148)?".

I've just received the reply "The Graham Farish range of British outline N scale products are produced in 1:148 scale – the standard for British N scale. Likewise, our OO scale models are produced in 1:76 scale which again is the standard for British OO scale. I trust this information is of interest to you, ...".

:beers:

And there's that pesky OO that refuses to lay down and die!

DELETED

Quote from: railsquid on February 11, 2017, 10:59:01 PM
Quote from: woodbury22uk on February 11, 2017, 03:09:57 PM

Whipping out my pedant hat, "Spur" is actually "gauge", as in "Breitspur", "Schmalspur" etcetera.

In Japan it's "N gauge" (rendered as "enu geiji").

I never did understand 2mm scale unless it's entirely scratch built.  Allot of effort put into track, re-wheeling and gauging, but then you accept (in the majority) an out of scale body and rolling stock of "N gauge"????  I take my hat off to 2mm scale modellers though -allot of effort involved which is entirely correct, but I can't see standing at 1m / 3ft / 1 yd back!

Where does 2mm scale come into this?  :D

Jimbo

Calm down dear.....it's only a commercial!
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations