Etched Loco Nameplates recommendatons

Started by GWR-Kris, November 01, 2016, 06:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWR-Kris

Hi all I'm looking to renumber a few manors and halls to a different running number, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of companies that do them. Thanks in advance

Karhedron

The ModelMaster range of nameplates are available through the NGS shop and are very good. I haven't done a tender loco with them yet but here is a Dapol 1400 I renumbered as 1470 using their plates. The etching is crisp and legible (no small accomplishment in N gauge ;)).

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

austinbob

I bought some etched name plates from www.narrowplanet.co.uk on the recommendation from someone else on the forum (can't remember who).
Very good they are too. Very crisp and nicely background painted.
They do quite a wide range of standard shapes and sizes and I believe they do a custom service as well.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Topcat

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Ozymandias

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

GWR-Kris

Can anyone recommend the best glue to use?

Bob Tidbury

I can highly recomend NARROW PLANET if you want bespoke nameplates they are very good BUT they do have to wait untill they have a full A3 sheet before they get them etched so you might have to wait a while untill you get your order.
If your lucky they might have a nearly full sheet because Midsummer end has put a fairly big order in recently.
Bob

Karhedron

Quote from: GWR-Kris on February 26, 2017, 12:53:09 PM

I like superglue gel. It holds strongly but takes several seconds to set allowing for a bit of repositioning.

Matt varnish works pretty well too and has the advantage that is any leaks around the edges of the plate, it does not dry shiny.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bob Tidbury

Thats how I put my nameplates on Karhedron I position the plate just before the varnish dries, and as you say if any does come from under the plate it wont show but helps to hold the plate on from careless fingers
Bob

JonHarbour

Quote from: Karhedron on February 26, 2017, 04:49:10 PM
Quote from: GWR-Kris on February 26, 2017, 12:53:09 PM

I like superglue gel. It holds strongly but takes several seconds to set allowing for a bit of repositioning.

Matt varnish works pretty well too and has the advantage that is any leaks around the edges of the plate, it does not dry shiny.

Thanks for that. One of the nameplates from my D1038 Western Sovereign and I was trying to figure out the best way to reattach it!
Still planning a layout...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations