Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Walters

Quote from: Sprintex on October 23, 2015, 12:02:33 PM
Been there before ;)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16649.15

Opinions ranged from "why copy other places like Facebook?" to "do we NEED more buttons?" among the less savoury suggestions. How exactly is "Like" any different from "Thank You", as in "thank you for posting something I like"? ???

Paul

Your interpretation of "Thanks" is in due resepct wrong.

Thank you is used to appreciation for something or for a service, eg:

"I like your train",    the reply would be "Thanks"

You wouldn't say :

"I thanks your train"   reply "What the... ??? ???"

However if you were to give someone information by posting a link

The reply could be either "Thanks" or "Like"

If somone were to post a picture of a scratchbuilt building you wouldn't ( or shouldn't) say "thanks" but you would say that you "like" it.

Now on to Facebook, I'm not sure how old you are, but I can assure you that forums were around long before whassis name dreamed up Facebook, only then we called them a BBS, a bullettin board system, and we were using terms like "likes" long before he was old enough to sit in front of a keyboard.

On to the other point.

If people find buttons confusing it is because the GUI is wrong, either the wrong wording or wrong icon has been chosen for the given command.
I find the icons you use for images and attachments confusing, so I choose to enter the BBCode myself, ( theres a way back; BBCode ? as in Bulletin Board Code). I can appreciate that not every one knows BBcode, and that is why we now have a GUI, or Icons to click on.

Now gimme the button or the teddy bear gets it !  :bounce:
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Tank

I quite agree that they are two different things, and it's probably something that I'll look into in the future.  However, I do think that folk use the 'Thank You' as a 'Like'.

I also enter the BBCode, but I also just click the icons - usually depending on how easy it is to enter the code.  I don't see what's confusing about the icons? ???  They are what they are, click and it's there.

Graham Walters

Quote from: Tank on October 23, 2015, 05:51:34 PM
I quite agree that they are two different things, and it's probably something that I'll look into in the future.  However, I do think that folk use the 'Thank You' as a 'Like'.

I also enter the BBCode, but I also just click the icons - usually depending on how easy it is to enter the code. I don't see what's confusing about the icons? ???  They are what they are, click and it's there.

You have got to be kidding me Chris !

Both the Image Icon and the attachment Icon show pictures.

When you hover over the attachement Icon it says "Insert Picture"
When you hover over the image icon it says "Insert image"

Now pardon me for being pedantic, but what is the difference between a picture and an image ?

Ans .... Nothing

Now those two buttons are confusing.

The accepted Icon for an attachment is a paper clip, it's sort of universal in word processing or e-mail land.

On forums the generally accepted Icon is a film strip to denote "media" and the hover prompt is normally  "insert" or "upload" a media file.
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Tank

The attachment feature that you usually get with forums has always been disabled on this forum.  We prefer to use the 'Media' function as it stores all types of media in folders, so members can store their uploads in an organised manner, which you don't get with attachments, and why we don't use a paperclip.

As for the wordings, it was written by myself, and I didn't think much of the fact that I used two different words.  As you say though, they mean the same thing, so it can't be confusing, can it?  Maybe odd that I decided to use two words, but not confusing.

Quote from: Graham Walters on October 23, 2015, 06:02:33 PM
On forums the generally accepted Icon is a film strip to denote "media" and the hover prompt is normally  "insert" or "upload" a media file.

Good for them......!  ;) 

Caz

The "Thank you" button works fine for me, if I like something I always say thank you, just seems natural and much more polite than a boring like.   :P
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Unless I respond to a post with a reply, I use the 'Thank You' smiley to denote just that - 'Thank You' for your post. Ergo, 'like' doesn't really come into it for me.
Surely the 'thumbs up/down' could be used for 'liking/disliking' something?

JasonBz

I use the Thank You icon as a Like (as well as as a thank you!) but it would be better if it was at the foot of the relevant post ;)

R Marshall

I don't know whether this is relevant to the current theme on this topic, but I'd like to say that there are two things that make it really user friendly for me:

- It's N Gauge only, so it's all relevant, potentially;

- the site is laid out in a way that makes it easy to find what you're looking for.

All credit to the designer.

N-Gauge-US

As a US based N Gauger, this site is my go to for everything n gauge and rail related. I can't tell you how happy it makes me or how much I enjoy just browsing through the posts. Everyone is wonderfully helpful and the layout is lovely. The ONLY thing I would want that I don't think is presently available is an app for the forum. I browse on my iPhone a great deal but don't like posting from the mobile format. I use the forum enough that I would love an app for it to streamline things like postings be reposting  pictures and the like. I right now use my laptop for SCARM and the forum and little else! Thanks again to everyone who has made this forum so great, especially Tank and the rest of the team!  :NGF:
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Pengi

If a 'like' button could be added to the wish list then that would be great :thumbsup:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

MikeDunn

Why do people feel they have to make everything into a Farcebook clone  ???

MalcolmInN

I did not think anyone here was proposing a Facebook LikeIt system, that is a much more, umm,, intimate thing, almost as bad   involved as a marriage vow !

No, here I would like a "Like It" button, to signify a much less serious undertaking, a simple ack. that I liked something that someone said nothing more.
I usually want to do it when something has amused me but is not worth a post with a thumbs-up icon that only serves to clutter up a thread, especially as that 'something' is often off topic anyway, a witticism often.

I would, again usually, only use a "Thank You" for something that I thought especially helpful to the topic.

Ok, thats my -/3d worth for now :)

Graham Walters

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 24, 2015, 10:10:09 PM

If you had read my post, you would know that forums were using a like system well before Facebook was thought of.

If anything, all Wassisname did was take all the good bits about BBS and Forums and turned it into one great big www.Talkaboutthingsyoudoeveryday.com, but that wasn't a catchy title, so he called it Facebook instead.
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

MalcolmInN

:) :) :) :)
Consider your "LikeIt" button well pressed several times,
hope it dont itch too much

Quote from: Graham Walters on October 24, 2015, 11:53:56 PM
If you had read my post, www.Talkaboutthingsyoudoeveryday.com[/url], but that wasn't a catchy title, so he called it Facebook instead.
Ummm, I dont think that domain is yet extant, praps you should buy it,
and use it to advise TalkTalk peeps not to talk about their ancestry (maiden mums or aunts) and fav. names for cats on facebook et.al. thus aiding and abetting miscreants

did I really say maiden mums ?
that must have been VirginMedia ?

Pengi

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 24, 2015, 10:10:09 PM

Please explain the relevance of your comments  :thankyousign: and what is Farcebook ???
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations