Acrylic paint options.

Started by trkilliman, August 17, 2017, 10:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

Yes the Citidal acrylics are good. I was at a boot sale and a young chap was selling off all of his Warhammer stuff and had a lot of Citidal paints to shift. Many had been barely used and I had around 10 pots from him. When i used them I wished I'd had more from him!

Our son in law does Warhammer and said they have changed the formula in recent times, along with the shape of the plastic pots. His opinion is they are not quite as good as the old formula. They do give their paint range some cracking names!

Humbrol,IMO, would do well to assess and re-formulate their acrylics. For a leading name for so many years their acrylics fall far short of others products.

As an aside from acrylics, I also bought at a boot sale some of the old Humbrol authentic enamel colours. I remember these from the 1970s and their wonderful smell. They needed a lot of stirring but were perfect,still using them now on the odd occasion.

Karhedron

Quote from: trkilliman on August 18, 2017, 12:48:13 PM
Our son in law does Warhammer and said they have changed the formula in recent times, along with the shape of the plastic pots. His opinion is they are not quite as good as the old formula.

It varies depending on the shade. They have also split their range into Base (strong pigments for undercoating), Layer (much thinner for highlights etc) Dry (for drybrushing) and a few other types.

Their standard bright green used to be Goblin Green which had excellent coverage. The modern equivalent is Warboss Green which is the same shade but part of the "Layer" range which means it is much thinner and does not cover so well.

Cote D'arms still makes the original citadel shades so if there is a colour you are particularly after, you can probably track it down.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ten0G

:hellosign:

Currently, Aldi are selling art materials including sets of ten 38ml tubes of acrylic paint c/w pallette knife for £6.99.  I'm not sure whether they would come in handy as I know nothing about acrylics at present. 

Please see
https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2018-09-16?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3AArts+%26+Crafts&lowerBound=2&upperBound=55&text=

:thankyousign:

port perran

I use acryllivs a lot. Especially on backscenes, some buildings and as base layers which will eventually be covered by scatter or static grass.
Generally I use acryllics on scratch built walls and buildings but they can end up a bit too glossy on plastic surfaces so I generally finish off with some dry brushed tamiya powders.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

For general painting using acrylics, e.g. scenery and ground cover, I use the tubes that 'The Works' sell - 200ml for £3.00p. One tube goes a long way, especially when mixed with a drop of water, which I find is good for scenery.  I bought some airbrush ready Vallejo paints a couple of weeks ago. I have only used the airbrush for testing on artists paper so far, but was quite pleased with the results.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Railwaygun

There is an NGF thread somewhere about using car paint sprays to match train colours with a table of equivalents

Worth a look ( some enamels though)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

outofgauge

For what it's worth and just throwing in my ten pennyworth -you get what you pay for applies to paint along with everything else-im an ex (? Never die ) 1/35 armour modeller - and always used tamiya paints ( both brush and airbrush ) then I moved onto vellejo and lifecolour because I have industrial asthma and they don't smell like tamiya ( not dangerous tho ) now ice gone back to railways-I'm using mission models acrylic primer -( because you'd have to be a real banana to mess it up -it's a superb finish ) and a mig ammo fast set for the tracks ( again acrylic) and ak enamel / vallejo for details /main colours -plus vallejo do a superb range of washes /pigments for weathering . As I'm doing U.S models at the min -i've managed to find a list that gives me alternatives to the American paints (some you can get here -a lot you can't  and never will cause there discontinued over there ! Most are enamel and smell really bad if you have no extraction ) Vallejo do both airbrush ready to spray -(model air ) and brush ready (model colour ) in a whole host of colours /shades  inc rust ,concrete , wood colours plus I'm sure there will be a conversion chart somewhere for UK railway models ?
If you use to cheap it will let you down !! - Again down to prep /undercoat / top coat and laquer choices !
Down to the individual and there abilities - not all can airbrush - not everybody sees the same colours ( my wife especially) it's what ever suits you -but unless you try -- you won't know what you can do -and remember it's your railway if it looks good to you -it's good enough !!
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

simong

I have used Vallejo for years. They are great paints that come in an excellent container which requires you to squeeze it for the paint to come out which helps avoids spillages and keeps the paint from drying out. Just makes sure you shake them before using.

Paul-H

Comming from a Military Madelling background my personal choice for Acrylic is Vallejo and Tamiya, but would only use Tamiya in an Airbrush as it's not do good on the brush, due to being alcohol based it skins very quickly which can get pulled up by the next brush stroke leaving a lumpy finish, never got on with Hombrol or Revell acrylics, and the new Ammo by mig is very difficult to use.

Still like Humbrols enamel though and get excellent results with brush and airbrush.

My local art shops do a range of acrylics in quite large pots compared to modelling paints and come in a large selection of colours, these I find with careful mixing and thinning airbrush well also and cost less than £2 A bottle
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

ten0G

Thanks Folks,

The Aldi ones are of Chinese origin (as are the brushes) and branded Script, described as water-resistant. 

I guess they will make an economical starting point to get some experience, I can always move on to better quality ones if I feel the need. 

:thankyousign:

silly moo

I was looking for acrylic aerosol paint to weather track with. I had previously used Humbrol but they discontinued the colour I had used. I found some Montana Gold Acrylic aerosol paint at an art shop, seems to be very good and much better value for money - £5 for a large can.

Bornin1980something

Can anyone recommend acrylic colours to represent lightly coloured wood, for interior detail?

The Q

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations