!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Steinheim am Main  (Read 16253 times)

Offline GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Steinheim am Main
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
Following on from the planning stages (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20961.0), track is now down, a control panel has been built, and trains are running. So I thought it was time to start a new thread on the construction side, not least because I'm at a point of having many questions (again). One area I have absolutely no difficulty with is in buying more rolling stock, but other areas, well, that's another matter.

Rather than start another thread on the topic of a layout-with-no-name-yet, I've got as far as a couple of possibilities - BN-Dottendorf (Dottendorf is a suburb of Bonn, hence the abbreviation to BN-Dottendorf, where I briefly lived as a student) or Handorf (Westf.), which is a suburb of Munster in Westfalen. At some point I'll make a decision!

So - track plan more or less fixed, track down, trains rolling. I've rescued a couple of buildings from my previous layout of 20 years ago - the kits are still in the Faller range and I don't appear to have damaged them too severely recovering them. First up is the Gasthaus; this will fill part of the right hand end of the layout. I'm fond of the building and so a home has to be found!

The other rescue building is a station. On this layout, it won't be a station but the carriage serving depot. Hence the odd arrangement of platforms - more will become clear when it is placed into its final position.

Two new buildings have appeared - a single road loco shed and a coaling stage, both again from Faller.

All buildings are at least partially if not fully repainted and slightly weathered (in the case of the loco servicing facilities) and matt varnished. I like the German kits but the plastic is a bit shiny! I'm building platforms next - there isn't space for a station building, which is imagined to be off scene to the front. The island platform has had the subway accesses reconfigured to look more probable...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:40:52 am by GScaleBruce, Reason: Topic title amended to reflect the final decision on the layout name »
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: BN-Dottendorf, or maybe Handorf (Westf.)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:33:29 pm »
Looking good.

I think Hannsorf would be a better name though  :D

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »
Very nice. More  :photospleasesign:. I spent a lot of time in West Germany (as was) in the 1970s and the 1980s.

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 07:44:25 pm »
Nice one. What era are you modelling?

All the best
Michael

I think Hannsorf would be a better name though  :D
:telloff:

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:59:48 pm »
Nice one. What era are you modelling?
:thankyousign:
It's mostly epoch IIIb - late steam. The steam locos all have pre-computerisation numbers but a third headlight. Some of the rolling stock is epoch IV with the DB logo on a few wagons. While I didn't see steam in use on DB, I spent quite a bit of time in Germany in the early 1980's, so I am finding rolling stock (and locos) from that time hard to resist... which I know is slightly later that what I've got so far...
Bruce

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »
Small steps... the island platform has received a bit of detail. I just had to have a "Wagenstandanzeiger" on a German platform - the poster that shows where each coach will be in the train - and fortunately Faller include the relevant sticky label. And a few people - this is a small station, not Berlin Hauptbahnhof, so I just wanted to give the impression of people about, not a morning rush hour. Anyway, a dab of matt varnish seems to have hidden the almost inevitable glue marks.

Bruce

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »
Meanwhile, at the other end of the layout, the former station building that now forms the depot offices is nearing completion (ok, I know you can barely tell, but the buffer stop has been painted and installed...). The left hand track got very slightly relaid because the gaps between the platforms and tracks weren't quite right. Eventually I'll leave the track alone. Maybe.

Bruce

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:11:45 pm »
Love those Faller kits! Ever since I was a kid I've always thought they've had character in abundance. As you say, a bit of paint doesn't hurt.

Wasn't it Faller that produced a water wheel that had real water? It was H0, but I was wondering if it's still available.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:43:17 pm »
The current obsession would seem to be buffer stops. These are by Arnold and look slightly more "German" than the usual Peco offerings. However, as supplied they're light grey plastic (with the little black and white Hp0 stop board).

They're now light grey Humbrol with a bit of weathering and the beam repainted, complete with grease marks from buffers.

Now to sort out the wooden buffer stops... ballasting may be on the horizon!
Bruce

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:07:39 pm »
Looking good. The grease marks are a nice touch. I think I should do the same with mine. :thankyousign:

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »
Not that I'm fixated with buffer stops, you understand, but they do cry out for a bit of detail... from glossy brown plastic to something a little more Germanic...

Bruce

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
Re: BN-Dottendorf, or maybe Handorf (Westf.), now Steinheim/Main
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 04:30:35 pm »
So - the naming dilemma has been resolved. Bonn-Dottendorf  was ruled out as we already have a narrow gauge station on the garden railway called Dottendorf, and apparently I couldn't have both a narrow gauge (G Scale) and a standard gauge (n scale) station of the same name. Handorf lost out because a) it was the name of my z gauge layout of many years ago and b) the connections with "get yer 'ands orf", which was entirely unintentional but on reflection way too obvious. Bonn-Dottendorf was where I lived (briefly) as a student, and Handorf (Westfalen) was a station, now closed, where I did some trainspotting once upon a time. Thus to Steinheim/Main, which (unlike the other two settlements) still has a railway station, albeit a single platform on the local S-Bahn. Steinheim is where I stayed when I first went to Germany, and where (along with the nearby Hanau Hbf) where I first encountered German railways.

Bruce

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »
Progress, of sorts. Some Brawa lamps, point lanterns and signs have appeared. The lanterns and signs are by Arnold, salvaged from the old layout as they're no longer available. I've reduced them in height because at a scale 6' tall they were too large and it showed if there were any Preiser people nearby. This is all in preparation for ballasting where some decisions have been taken... ballast will be dark brown and I'm not going to paint the track first or indeed at all; it works at the moment and even dabbing a little black paint around a set of points has resulted in them not quite working as they used to...

At the other end of the station, an unloading dock for the VW's pouring out of Stuttgart...

Bruce

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 02:20:32 pm »
Very nice; great to see one of the 'silver fish' carriages, again.

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »
Earlier this morning, the sun was on the loco shed (weather's back to normal now), and the yard master grabbed a couple of shots...

Bruce

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything